Support for Jesus as the last prophet

Is there scripture that says God is not going to send any more, and that Jesus completed the message from God? I know the church believes it is complete, I’m looking for a verse that supports that.
Thanks

I can’t think of a particular verse as we take all the verses as a whole, but the new testament completes the old testament. We’ve been advised of false prophets to come in the present and in the future. We are awaiting the end, I guess. :slight_smile: Another prophet really wouldn’t make any sense since we have been given the gift of the Holy Spirit.

We are to know our faith, live our faith, spread our faith… and if necessary, die for our faith, too.

I realise this doesn’t give you the verse you’re seeking though. :shrug:

3And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another? 4Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: 5The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me. (Matthew 11)

Christ was more than a prophet, He was/is God.

Revelation 1

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, saith the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty…

17 And when I had seen him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying: Fear not. I am the First and the Last,

18 And alive, and was dead, and behold I am living for ever and ever, and have the keys of death and of hell.

+Actually . . . regarding the topic/subject-line of this thread . . . **Sacred :bible1: Scripture **clearly teaches in the New Testament that the calling of . . . “prophet” . . . continues to flourish in the church . . . as is revealed in the below portion of **God’s **Holy :bible1: Word . . .

[INDENT][INDENT]. . . :bible1: . . .11] And He gave some apostles, and some prophets, and other some evangelists, and other some pastors and doctors, [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: - Ephesians 4:11-12[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord our God+
. . . thank you Blessed St. Jerome+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother Church+
T[/RIGHT]

I agree! I consider John Henry Newman a latter day prophet. :slight_smile:

The idea of “the LAST prophet is Islamic,” not Christian.

Yep. St. Paul gives regulations for how prophets should act at Mass, how they should be treated by church members, etc. Acts tells us about prophets like Agabus.

And of course we do still have people who receive prophetic visions or messages from God or the saints. We call them mystics, and we call the prophecies “private revelations.”

But no matter what prophecies people receive, they do not surpass or rewrite the Bible. Jesus warned us not to receive any Gospel that contradicts His message, even if that false Gospel were brought by an angel. That is where we differ from Islam (and that is why Mormons claim that Joseph Smith does not contradict the Gospel).

Beloved, being very eager to write to you of our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude, verse 3)

The phrase “once for all” suggests a completeness to divine revelation that rules out any later revelations that would contradict was has already been revealed.

In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. (Hebrews 1:1-2)

Now Moses was faithful in all God’s house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ was faithful over God’s house as a son. And we are his house if we hold fast our confidence and pride in our hope. (Hebrew 3:5-6)

These verses suggest that the words of the Son and heir are of greater authority than any past or future prophet.

Prophecy is the most misunderstood of all the charisms. Can it be about the future? Of course, but we can all predict the future if a train is headed toward a bridge that is out. Rather, Paul desired that we all prophesy - that is, build up the Body of Christ through encouragement, calling to a deeper faith and occasional admonishment. Of course, this is not a flashy or exciting charism, so it gets little press.

The world is drowning in false prophets. YouTube is awash in them, and SURPRISE! they are almost all vehemently anti-Catholic. Whoda’ thunk? They all disagree with each other but agree that the Catholic Church is the devil’s spawn - which is good enough for them.

The very definition of a false prophet is one whose words overturn revealed truth, such as the two natures of Christ (Islam, LDS, JWs, Oneness Pentecostals). However, a perusal of the various shouting TV evangelists reveals that all of them seem to believe that they possess secret knowledge that they alone can reveal.

Rather, the letters of Peter and John warn against false teachers and false prophets, and admonish us to test the spirits - which is yet another charism of the Holy Spirit. Fr. John Hardon, SJ† advised that if the words or writings of an alleged visionary differ one iota from Catholic teaching, their entire counsel must be discarded.

Hi!
Here’s the best Scriptures that places a lid on Prophecy (public Revelation):

13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. (St. Matthew 11:13)

Though Jesus is prophesied by Moses (another prophet like yourself), Jesus places a definite end on public prophecy being sealed with John the Baptist who, in the spirit of Elijah, tethers both the Old Testament Prophecies and the New Testament Fulfillment of those Prophecies.

Maran atha!

Angel

Ok you politically correct folks :rolleyes: what I mean is Jesus displays prophet qualities (speaking the word of God to the people delivered to him by God internally)… I know Jesus is more than a prophet, what I’m asking is the support for the doctrine that no more prophets shall come after him. Because it’s hard to find anything definitive. And I’ve even read there were some during the time of Jesus and shortly after. I can’t remember her name?

[quote=LittleHalo]I know Jesus is more than a prophet, what I’m asking is the support for the doctrine that no more prophets shall come after him.
[/quote]

There is NO doctrine that no more prophets shall come after Him.

You are confusing Islam with Christianity.

There will be no more Messiahs, if that’s what you mean.

Jesus is the Word of God. St. John opens his Gospel with the lines:

“In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.”

This word is the second person of the Trinity, the Word spoken into the void that created the universe.

With Jesus’ birth the Word became man. God spoke through men in the past as prophets–preaching and teaching his Word, in anticipation of the coming of the Word, but they were not the Word.

The first chapter of Hebrews goes into this quite nicely. Jesus is the final word to man because he is the Word of God, not merely a prophet through whom God spoke, but God himself come among us as one of us. This is why no further revelations of God are necessary or will be given to man–because Jesus is the Word of God made flesh who made the final covenant of God with man and gave us all we need to know about God in order to be saved.

…not being politically correct!

The passage I have cited is the only passage that is Authoritative enough to demonstrate that there is no more public Revelation since it is stated by Jesus Himself.

…as for the emerging Church receiving the various Gifts of the Holy Spirit to which some are given the Call of prophecy (1 Corinthians 12:28-29)… these prophets do not pronounce new Revelations beyond Christ’s Fulfilment of the Old Testament’s Revelations (1 Corinthians 13:2a; 1 Corinthians 14:1, 22b; 1 Timothy 4:14).

Though we could surmise that John the Evangelist is presenting new unrevealed prophecy in the book of the Apocalypse (Revelation); yet, it is not a book of prophecy concerning the Coming of the Messiah as much as it is a book concerning the Church in her development, a view into Heavenly matters, and the end of times happenings–all as part of a vision that was given to John.

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.