Supporting a Future Seminarian

+JMJ+

I have been looking to go to St. Thomas Aquinas College in CA {One of the best traditional and orthodox catholic colleges in the Contry} offering the Extrodinary Form everyday and provides great classical education, but its 40 k a year, and I dont qualify for financial aid and cant have any debt before entering seminary.

Does anyone know of organizations or really rich catholics that would be willing to pay for the schooling of a future seminarian…uh… in the Archdiocese of … uh… Los Angeles {please dont stone me to death}

If anyone could help me out let me know.

Long Live His Grace ArchBishop Gomez

+Deo Gratias+

Does anyone know of organizations or really rich catholics that would be willing to pay for the schooling of a future seminarian…uh… in the Archdiocese of … uh… Los Angeles {please dont stone me to death}

Dear Sursum,

Check out Mater Ecclesiae Vocations Fund. I’m not sure of exactly what they can offer you, but they do try to help persons with religious vocations with student debt.

Perhaps you could work at school as well?

God Bless you and your vocation,
Joan

You need to talk to either A) His Excellency (Bishops and Archbishops are not called “His Grace” in this country. That is only used in Great Britain, some Commonwealth nations, and bishops in the Republic of Ireland) or B) his designee. Most diocese have vocations directors who can deal with issues such as you present. I think most seminarians rec. help, but they DO have to come debt free and I don’t believe bishops help with that. Also, I believe that bishop of your diocese will direct where you attend seminary. I’m not sure that St. Thomas yet has a seminary program, though it may have a pre-seminary formation program.

Edited: I have visited the campus of St. Thomas Aquinas. It is beautiful and the chapel is quite magnificent.

+JMJ+

[RIGHT]Topic: Proper use of Clurgy Titles
Grade recieved: [size=]F[/RIGHT]

Oh man catholic vocabulary was never my strong point anyway.:frowning:

+Deo Gratias+ [/size]

Just apply to the Archdiocese of LA…they’ll probably pay your tuition if your accepted

[quote="sursumcorda, post:1, topic:235326"]
+JMJ+
I have been looking to go to St. Thomas Aquinas College .... and I dont qualify for financial aid and cant have any debt before entering seminary.

+Deo Gratias+

[/quote]

As a father of a first-year seminarian, I have a few questions.
Are you planning to be a diocesan priest or entering an order?
You should be in constant contact with your Vocations Director. Are you?

Lastly, I assume you have filed your FAFSA and it says you don't qualify for Federal assistance? This usually means that the family can afford to contribute around $20,000. Are they helping? My son's college gives an automatic 35% discount to seminarians. Have you contacted the Financial Aid office of the school for private assistance?

St John Vianney, patron of parish priests and seminarians, we seek your help. :signofcross:

+JMJ+

At current moment, Diocesan

Parents make good money but not enough to put out 40k a year

Have not filled out FAFSA, going off of parents opinion, wouldnt hurt to try though.

Have not contacted financial aid office of TAC

Just looking if there is any information on supporters

Hello Sursum,

I am the Admissions Director at Thomas Aquinas. A friend of mine pointed me to your post and I wanted to reach out to you directly to offer to send information and/or speak with you on the telephone about what the College can offer financial aid wise. I obviously don’t know your situation, but sometimes families do qualify for aid when they think they will not. While I don’t know if you’ve already been in touch or not, I . If not, please feel free to call me at 800-634-9797 x5901 or email admissions@thomasaquinas.edu. I would be glad to help if there is any way that I can.

We did recently run an article on the College’s Financial Aid program which can be found here: thomasaquinas.edu/news/newsletter/2009/fall/Sign_of_the_Times.html. It will be there for only another three weeks or so as we are about to transition to a new site.)

God bless you,

Jon Daly

I am in the process of becoming a seminarian for Archdiocese of La and i can tell you for sure that the church willl not pay for your education at St. Thomas Aquinas college. They will only pay for your education if you are a part of their formation program like the Juan Diego House. You shouldnt knock off CSU DH because they have philosophy program supported by the Archdiocese. They collaborate together to make sure the seminarian get a good education!

Pardon my ignorance, but can you work while you attend the seminary or apply for educational loans?

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Sursum,

As others have said, if you are truly interested in becoming a priest, you should contact the office of vocations. Monsignor Forsen (he was only Father Forsen the last I saw him!) will be able to help you figure out what you need to do first. If you decide to enter the formation process, I think you will be applying to St. John's Seminary in Camarillo. I don't think they offer the extraordinary form regularly there, but as a diocesan priest, you would not be celebrating that form. Realistically, that's something to consider. While some seminarians here at Sacred Heart have a deep love for EF, the seminary does not provide the training other than some minor theoretical/background information, because there are not many parishes that have large enough demand.

One thing you will need to discern, however, is why you want to be a priest. Is it so that you can celebrate the Extraordinary Form? Or is it so that you can assume the role of Christ as Priest, Prophet, and King among his flock, and assume the humility to celebrate the mass with great reverence in whatever form and whatever parish you are asked? Most parishes are very small and humble. Many in LA have the demand of Spanish. Many others are Vietnamese, Korean, or a variety of other languages. Are you willing to set aside your own preferences and to become a man for all men? That doesn't mean giving up the celebration or love of the Extraordinary Form, only putting God and his will first, and that necessarily means the health and salvation of his children.

Give that some thought, and give Monsignor Forsen a call and meet with him (or one of the regional vocation directors). Trust in God. Everything else will work out.
In the mean time, fill out the FAFSA and see what the gov't will offer you for financial aid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.