Suppose I commit two mortal sins, but confess only one

Suppose I commit two mortal sins (of different natures). I attend Confession, but confess only one - deliberately withholding the other offense. The priest pronounces absolution.

I am of the opinion that the one sin is absolved, but the other sin is not - leaving me objectively no better that I was before (because it takes only one mortal sin to remove me from a state of Grace).

I believe that my opinion is consistent with Catholic Doctrine, but I don’t know where this Doctrine is stated.

The way I understand it…You are also now guilty of the sin of Omission, by willfully holding back confessing a mortal sin you were conscious of.

That is correct, as long as the person witholding the mortal sin knows that such a thing is of grave matter.

According to what I read in the child’s version of the Baltimore Catechism, if you walk into the confessional with two mortal sins, but you confess only one of them, you walk out of the confessional with three.

First of all it is to be understood that absolution can NEVER be partial. It is either all or none. So, if you withheld a mortal sin then there was no absolution at all. Since the priest did not know that you withheld a grave sin he did what he knew to be right and granted you absolution. But because you did not make a valid confession you rendered his words meaningless and made the whole sacrament invalid…

It was mentioned that you added another mortal sin to your list. While that is true, you must realize that it takes only one mortal sin to separate you from God for all eternity. So having another mortal sin on the table is there only to make you realize how important it is to make a good confession. Now go back to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and tell the priest all of your sins and remain in the peace that Christ died to give you. God bless…teachccd

P.S. I know that your post was written as hypothetical but I answered it as if it were a person asking for themselves since there are many out there who might… :slight_smile:

Nope. This is in fact contrary to Catholic doctrine. If you deliberately withhold a mortal sin, NONE of them are forgiven and you commit the additional mortal sin of sacrilege. So you now have three mortal sins, all of which must be properly confessed.

I think my view would be that a person can fool the priest but they can’t fool God and so the entire Confession is not valid in the eyes of God as such a person has not been truly repentant and has not sincerely confessed. I would say if you die immediately after that Confession you would go to Hell. In other words it does not make any difference if such a person has been absolved from the one sin confessed because they remain in a state of mortal sin.

Baltimore Catechism No. 3

Q. 760. Why cannot some of our mortal sins be forgiven while the rest remain on our souls?
A. It is impossible for any of our mortal sins to be forgiven unless they are all forgiven, because as light and darkness cannot be together in the same place, so sanctifying grace and mortal sin cannot dwell together. If there be grace in the soul, there can be no mortal sin, and if there be mortal sin, there can be no grace, for one mortal sin expels all grace.

Q. 795. Is it a grievous offense willfully to conceal a mortal sin in Confession?
A. It is a grievous offense willfully to conceal a mortal sin in Confession, because we thereby tell a lie to the Holy Ghost, and make our Confession worthless.

audiosancto.org/inc/BC3/bc3-18.html

audiosancto.org/inc/BC3/bc3-19.html

Well, you're wrong. If you deliberately leave out a mortal sin during Confession then you are not absolved of any of your sins.

[quote="porthos11, post:6, topic:289056"]
Nope. This is in fact contrary to Catholic doctrine. If you deliberately withhold a mortal sin, NONE of them are forgiven and you commit the additional mortal sin of sacrilege. So you now have three mortal sins, all of which must be properly confessed.

[/quote]

Right.

Exactly.

mlz

What DavidBj said is on the money. Willfully holding back is a sin in itself(when talking mortal sin).

CB

From my mentor priest:

“If a penitent deliberately holds back a mortal sin, whatever other sins they confess are not forgiven even if the priest grants him absolution. In addition he commits another sin of making a sacrilegious confession.”

2 - 1 = 2 +1 = 3

Confessional math.

I didn't know this for a l.o.n.g time. THought you could just confess the ones you planned to stop and just keep on with the sins you liked. Not so.

You can't go play in a mud pit, wash your hands and call yourself "clean". You still need a bath!

This is correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.