Suppressing my desires

I believe I may have a vocation to the priesthood, and I have recently begun more actively discerning. I do have an attraction to the priesthood - particularly the offering of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
However, I am concerned because for the longest time I wished to be married and have children but now when I think about it I do not feel that draw anymore. I am very scrupulous at times, and I am worried that out of fear of denying a priestly vocation what I have done is suppressed my attraction to marriage.

Any thoughts, advice?

You might contact the Vocations Office at your local Diocese. They should be able to provide you with lots of information as you contemplate this.

Also, continue to pray and ask God to show you His will.

God bless you!

[quote="MilesVitae, post:1, topic:239613"]
I believe I may have a vocation to the priesthood, and I have recently begun more actively discerning. I do have an attraction to the priesthood - particularly the offering of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
However, I am concerned because for the longest time I wished to be married and have children but now when I think about it I do not feel that draw anymore. I am very scrupulous at times, and I am worried that out of fear of denying a priestly vocation what I have done is suppressed my attraction to marriage.

Any thoughts, advice?

[/quote]

May I ask what diocese you live in? I wouldn't turn myself into just any diocese.

The process of discernment uses a particular methodology that will help you figure out where your vocation lies.

It might just be that you are feeling that natural attraction to be married and have children. The priesthood and other forms of consecrated life are supernatural vocations–ones that require graces from the Holy Spirit in order to be lived out.

Do you have a spiritual director?

I believe any person who has a vocation is pretty sure he has one.I tried to join an order once an the monk told me they don’t think this is the place for them they know its the place for them.i believe its more than maybe.Its like i’m almost sure but I don’t know if I can live by rules.they may have urges to be married once they are there but most don’t see marriage as a problem before they start on their journey.I had this priest friend.I asked do you ever think about being married.His answer "everyday’.I read an article in the criterion recently and he was in there.Stilll a priest 30yrs.later.

No harm in exploring! You've got probably eight years minimum before you could be ordained, which would give you a long time to discern your vocation in a context where you can really make a free choice.

It's perfectly normal. Huge percentages of seminarians drop out, and the seminary is very happy with that. They don't want to ordain priests without the vocation. And it certainly won't hurt you to spend a few years in an intense spiritual situation like that!

As Catholic Christians we do not suppress our desires. Instead, with Christ as our chief desire, our desires conform to his will. I too have been considering the priesthood, and it is truly a difficult thing.

I don't know what you meant by "supressing my disires," but I think it is important to note that even the Saints are not Vulcans. Just as Jesus surely laughed, cried, wept and craved, so will we always. However, when we turn to Christ and allow him to strengthen our will we will learn to put our desires into their proper place.

"Behold the desert of my soul. For I have died to worldly desires, and now there is nothing to distract me from the true course."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.