Suppression Of The Leonine Prayers

Was any reason ever given ?

Not to me, nor to anyone else that I know. I truly missed these prayers for so many years & I’m glad that I can pray them again at the TLM. I now attend.
All that I’ve ever actually seen is this:
adoremus.org/Interoecumenici.html#anchor36482722

I’ve also missed the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, especially the Judica Me.

If I’m allowed to guess, I’d say that these prayers were considered just “too Catholic” to appeal to our separated brethren. I, also think that praying just to be cleansed enough to enter the holy of holies, to be made worthy of praying the Mass… didn’t quite fit in to the council’s perception of “modern man”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was because prayers were offered for Russia.

How about that they are a late 19th century addition to the low mass.

Actually, it might be better to say a late 19th century appendage to Low Mass. One has to keep in mind that they were never part of the Mass, nor were they ever included in the Missal.

ByzCath and malphono make a valid point.

The prayers weren’t suppressed; the low Mass, however, after which these prayers were said, was discontinued (except, of course, where it was allowed by indult or by Quattuor Abhinc Annos or by Ecclesia Dei or by the 2007 S.P.) They were not normally said after the EF High Mass.

got me. you are right.

I hope this doesn’t become a trend. :smiley:

They are printed in the re-issue of the 1962 Missal by Baronius Press with the instruction that they apply after the Low Mass.

I do not think there is anything keeping a priest from saying them after an OF Mass.

Many of the changes were put through without a clear explanation or “catechesis.”

I don’t see any reason why the prayer to St Michael the Archangel couldn’t be recited after mass.

On that good old time people were forced from the villages to the cities, and the first generation kept the faith and the habit. There was not enough time and resource to build new Churches, so in an average Urban Church there were Sunday Masses in every hour started 6AM until 12PM. Only one Mass was Missa Cantata, the rest required the Leonine prayers, and it was real burden how to squeeze the Sunday Mass (especially with re required 3 Collects, Secrets and Postcommunions, reading the Lesson and Gospel twice, and making a decent sermon) into a 50 minutes frame; or a Weekday Mass into a 30 minutes frame.

As far as I know there was no rule to suppress them, it was simply left from the rubrics.

No reason at all, as long as it’s done after Mass (i.e. after the dismissal) as an extra-liturgicall devotion.

First, as I mentioned in an earlier post, they were never part of the Mass itself, but were, rather, an appendage to most Low Masses. Second, yes, they were suppressed by virtue of the instruction Inter oecumenici (emphasis added):

Chapter II. Mystery of the Eucharist

I. ORDO MISSAE (SC art. 50)

1. Until reform of the entire Ordo Missae, the points that follow are to be observed:
    j. The last gospel is omitted; the Leonine Prayers are suppressed.

What was suppressed, though, was the requirement that those prayers be appended to most Low Masses. As I commented above, there’s nothing that suggests they could not or cannot be said as an extra-liturgical devotion.

No, the prayers were suppressed, as the decree clearly states. Following that reason, no reforms were ever made that did not use the word prohibited.

The reason at the time was given as the simplification of the Order of Mass, so that each part of the Mass texts clearly conveyed their function. The dismissal was returned to the end of Mass so that it would be a true dismissal, i.e., the very last text heard, as opposed to a dismissal, then the blessing, then the last gospel, then prayers after Mass recited at the altar.

Don’t get me wrong; I prefer the 1962 missal, but the reforms were made and the prayers after Low Mass were suppressed.

Yes, I know that and I said as much. Irrespective of whether or not they were suppressed, however, there is nothing to prevent them from being used as an extra-liturgical devotion.

I agree with you on that. But wouldn’t the Last Gospel fall into the non-Mass category as well, since, as some have pointed out, they are/were said after the “Ita Missa Est”?

Chapter II. Mystery of the Eucharist

I. ORDO MISSAE (SC art. 50)

1. Until reform of the entire Ordo Missae, the points that follow are to be observed:
    j.** The last gospel is omitted**; the Leonine Prayers are suppressed.

Not exactly. It’s true that it occurs after the dismissal and final blessing, but the Last Gospel was an addition rather than an appendage. In other words, it was actually part of the Missal.

The Leonine Prayers, OTOH, are just that: a defined series of prayers, and as such would work nicely for use as an extra-liturgical devotion.

I just wanted to mention that the othe week I attended an OF Mass at a small church outside of Charleston, SC where they Leonine Prayers were still recited after Mass. After the recessional hymn the priest came back into the sacristy and removed his vestments, since he said vestments are only worn during the Mass and he went into the sanctuary where he led the remainder of the congregation in the Leonine prayers. Although, everybody was given the opportunity to leave during the recessional if they so desired very few people actually did.

ChadS

It was recited after the (OF) Mass I went to this past weekend.

I figured that since the Last Gospel was/is said in Latin. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.