Supreme Court asked to defend Seal of Confession in La. case

Baton Rouge, La., Sep 6, 2014 / 07:32 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Diocese of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court to review a ruling that a diocesan priest may be forced to break the Seal of Confession.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/supreme-court-asked-to-defend-seal-of-confession-in-la-case-53807/

This case will be extremely important to protecting religious freedom in the United States. I hope and pray that the U.S. Supreme Court takes up this case and rules in favor of the right of Catholic priests to not violate the Seal of Confession. The fact is that a priest absolutely cannot under any circumstances violate the Seal of Confession for any reason, even if this would mean he would go to prison or face death for not violating the Seal of Confession and that is why this case will be extremely important in protecting religious freedom. We all need to pray for the protection of our religious freedom.

Another thread already discussing this appeal.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=907349

I think there are now half a dozen threads discussing this case, if you include those from the first announcement of the Supreme Court’s decision.

More to the point, the decision does not say that the priest can be forced to testify about what went on in the confessional, just that he cannot prevent the girl from doing so. See this blog for a fairer, yet still Catholic, summary of the case.

I’m sorry for posting another thread about this news item everyone.

Moderators, feel free to delete this thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.