Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg: 'We Will Never Go Back' to Outlawing Abortion

By Kathleen GilbertASPEN, Colorado, July 13, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last Thursday insisted that America would "never go back" to outlawing the murder of the unborn, now that a whole generation of women has experienced the effects of Roe v....

Full article...

Apparently proficiency in basic arithmetic is not required to be a Supreme Court Justice, because most people are able to remember that 1/9 < 50% (those smart enough know that 1/9 = 0.111... )

On a more serious note, I thought that justices were suppose to be quieter about things like this. Separation of powers or something like that?

I imagine what Justice Ginsburg really meant is that we can't overturn Roe v. Wade before we get rid of all of those sorts of people we don't want or have too many of. With the federal gov't fixing to start paying for more abortions at the same it tries to balance the health care budget by denying treatment to the elderly, maybe we'll hit that magic number of deaths sometime soon.

-- Mark L. Chance.

I hate to break it to everyone, color me pessimisstic, but the headline is correct.

Yes, I want abortion to be outlawed, I vote that way-but sometimes it just seems like we are a minor league team playing against the pro-choice pros. They have a unified front-to kill more children, pro-lifers don't. They spend too much time arguing and disagreeing with each other (focus on contraception! Focus on showing pictures of dead babies! Be only partially pro-life, with exceptions, no exceptions, etc) to even attempt to be unified.

Again, I think abortion should be outlawed-but it's pretty hopeless.

I don't support Roe vs. Wade, but I too agree that it will never be overturned. The sexual culture has changed so drastically that people are dependent on abortion. Some people are aware of this dependence, while others comprehend it sub-consciously. This is why you hear such anger on the issue of abortion rights. People know that their sexual choices are supported by abortion. It's very sad, but we would need a 180 degree shift in sexual values to overturn Roe. Me, I pray for stronger regulation. I also pray for more people to live biblical sexual values.

[quote="Rascalking, post:4, topic:205199"]
Again, I think abortion should be outlawed-but it's pretty hopeless.

[/quote]

Anyway, it's just her opinion. Scalia would say the opposite. I do agree with you. It's not an uphill battle, it's a straight up a cliff battle. I have no solutions myself for it.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:6, topic:205199"]
Anyway, it's just her opinion. Scalia would say the opposite. I do agree with you. It's not an uphill battle, it's a straight up a cliff battle. I have no solutions myself for it.

[/quote]

I seem to remember a solution in Revelations.

[quote="Pro_Life_News, post:1, topic:205199"]
By Kathleen GilbertASPEN, Colorado, July 13, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last Thursday insisted that America would "never go back" to outlawing the murder of the unborn, now that a whole generation of women has experienced the effects of Roe v....

Full article...

[/quote]

Well heck, whole generations of dead babies have experienced the effects of Roe. But their votes don't count.

It's not just that Roe legalized abortion. It's that Roe legalized it through all nine months, and killed every single state law that regulated or restricted it. Pro-life groups had to start from scratch, trying to enact regulations which could withstand the requirements of Roe and Doe. Most newly enacted state regulations, post-Roe, got thrown out and declared unconstitutional.

It's as though the Court had not only declared AK-47 ownership legal but said you can fire at will, at any time, for any reason.

[quote="Pro_Life_News, post:1, topic:205199"]

Full article...

[/quote]

We have to let go of the notion that the court has the last word on this. There are constitutional ways around these judicial murderers...impeachment, congressional regulation of supreme court appellate jurisdiction. Presidential judicial appointment is not the only tool. We have to stop letting the GOP play us. We have to learn from Poland's solidarity movement.

[quote="miguel, post:9, topic:205199"]

Presidential judicial appointment is not the only tool.

[/quote]

No, but it's a pretty good one. Had so many Catholics not voted for Barack Obama, there might be a prolife majority on the Court right now. Prolife people should not think of this as so terribly hopeless. It's only hopeless when we cast our faithfulness to Church teaching aside for politicians' promises of material benefit. That is exactly what happened in the 2008 election. The promises of a "free lunch", of course, were empty as well. We threw away our morality and became complicit in the murder of millions for nothing at all.

The two pro-life appointments that McCain promised, rather than the two Obama appointments to the Supreme Court that his election by Catholics brought about would have made a real difference.

As it is, Ginsburg is entitled to her victory dance. She won big time. Her culture of death rules the Supreme Court for the next generation too.

Fighting the pro-life issue was not a big issue for most American Catholics.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:10, topic:205199"]
No, but it's a pretty good one.

[/quote]

Has this approach saved one baby over the last 37 years?

Had so many Catholics not voted for Barack Obama, there might be a prolife majority on the Court right now.

[/quote]

I agree that Catholic support for pro-abortion politicians is wrong. I don't agree that supporting gang-of-14 McCain would have resulted in a pro-life majority on the Court. Right now, we only have 2 justices (Scalia and Thomas) who are debatably pro-life. They, rightly, don't regard abortion as a constitutional right. But they, wrongly, don't regard the unborn as constitutionally protected persons. So they, wrongly, agree with that horrible ruling from Blackmun's majority decision in Roe. At best, they would allow state legislatures to restrict abortion, but they would not require them to do so. This is contrary to the 14th Amendment where states are required to provide equal protection of the laws to any person in their jurisdictons. The rest of the justices wouldn't even go that far. The majority needed to restore equal protection of the laws to unborn persons will require 5 judicial appointments as the Court is currently constituted.

Prolife people should not think of this as so terribly hopeless. It's only hopeless when we cast our faithfulness to Church teaching aside for politicians' promises of material benefit. That is exactly what happened in the 2008 election. The promises of a "free lunch", of course, were empty as well. We threw away our morality and became complicit in the murder of millions for nothing at all.

[/quote]

I don't think it's as cut and dried as all that. The GOP deserves plenty of blame for why they were booted from control of Congress in 2006 and the Presidency in 2008. And it's hard, for me anyway, to blame fellow Catholics too much for voting DEM when voting GOP hasn't stopped abortion. I don't like it. I don't think they should vote DEM.

I believe that the headline is correct.

[quote="jjdrury81, post:13, topic:205199"]
I believe that the headline is correct.

[/quote]

As long as Catholics keep supporting pro-abortion politicians she is correct. If catholivcs quit voting for pro-aborrtion politicians it would be over in a minute.

Nope. Catholics aren’t the only voters.

[quote="Bob_Aliano, post:7, topic:205199"]
I seem to remember a solution in Revelations.

[/quote]

"19 The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God's wrath.

20 They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses' bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia."
Revelations 14:19-20

100 Million Catholics voting pro-life would do it in a minute.

There’s absolutely no chance that every last Catholic is going to vote in lockstep on that or on anything else. We aren’t a monolithic bloc. Opinions are diverse.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:18, topic:205199"]
There's absolutely no chance that every last Catholic is going to vote in lockstep on that or on anything else. We aren't a monolithic bloc. Opinions are diverse.

[/quote]

But the teaching of the Church is not. IIf Catholics vote their Faith abortion ends.

[quote="miguel, post:12, topic:205199"]
Has this approach saved one baby over the last 37 years?
I agree that Catholic support for pro-abortion politicians is wrong. I don't agree that supporting gang-of-14 McCain would have resulted in a pro-life majority on the Court. Right now, we only have 2 justices (Scalia and Thomas) who are debatably pro-life. They, rightly, don't regard abortion as a constitutional right. But they, wrongly, don't regard the unborn as constitutionally protected persons. So they, wrongly, agree with that horrible ruling from Blackmun's majority decision in Roe. At best, they would allow state legislatures to restrict abortion, but they would not require them to do so. This is contrary to the 14th Amendment where states are required to provide equal protection of the laws to any person in their jurisdictons. The rest of the justices wouldn't even go that far. The majority needed to restore equal protection of the laws to unborn persons will require 5 judicial appointments as the Court is currently constituted.
I don't think it's as cut and dried as all that. The GOP deserves plenty of blame for why they were booted from control of Congress in 2006 and the Presidency in 2008. And it's hard, for me anyway, to blame fellow Catholics too much for voting DEM when voting GOP hasn't stopped abortion. I don't like it. I don't think they should vote DEM.

[/quote]

You are simply peddling a tired old argument on your first point: restrictions on abortion have been put in place by executive order by REPUBLICAN presidents, as well as the Hyde amendment, and many others. These efforts have been documented well on many other threads related to this question. While they didn't outlaw abortion, they did curtail it and I'm sure some babies were saved as a result. Furthermore, efforts to restrict abortion, parental notification have been passed by REPUPLICAN lawmakers. One of the reasons we still have legal abortion in this country is because of catholics who hate the Republicans more than they hate abortion and vote accordingly.

Ishii

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.