Supreme Court sends Obamacare case back to lower court

Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court on Monday avoided issuing a major ruling on a challenge brought by religiously affiliated non-profit groups to the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive mandate.

The justices, in a unanimous decision, wrote that they were not deciding the case on the merits but instead sent the case back down to the lower courts for opposing parties to work out a compromise.

cnn.com/2016/05/16/politics/supreme-court-obamacare-contraceptive-mandate/index.html

The Becket Fund, which I believe is representing Little Sisters of the Poor, is calling this a win for them: twitter.com/thebecketfund/status/732217005399543808

“We are very encouraged by the Court’s decision, which is an important win for the Little Sisters. The Court has recognized that the government changed its position,” said Mark Rienzi, senior counsel at the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and lead Becket attorney for the Little Sisters of the Poor. “It is crucial that the Justices unanimously ordered the government not to impose these fines and indicated that the government doesn’t need any notice to figure out what should now be obvious—the Little Sisters respectfully object. There is still work to be done, but today’s decision indicates that we will ultimately prevail in court.”

becketfund.org/breaking-little-sisters-poor-win-supreme-court/

It’s a win for both sides because it’s not a loss for both sides. Little Sisters aren’t currently being fined, government can move forward with providing contraceptives to the people affected.

No legal decisions were made, this is punting it to lower courts until they have nine justices. It’s possible a compromise could be made between the government and the current petitioners but lawsuits will keep coming until there’s a definitive ruling.

For Release: May 16, 2016

Diocese of Pittsburgh
412.456.3021 (office

Supreme Court Action on Zubik et. al. vs. Burwell

BACKGROUND
Today the Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously sent the religious liberty case, Zubik et. al. vs. Burwell, back to the various federal courts of appeals from which the group of cases originated. The Justices recognized the stated willingness of both sides to reach a mutually acceptable agreement, and told the courts to conduct further proceedings in which the parties should be allowed to agree on a process that accommodates both religious liberty and the governments’ goals for health insurance. In the meanwhile, the Court left in place the stay that prevents the government from imposing fines on the plaintiffs.

STATEMENT FROM BISHOP DAVID ZUBIK

We are all grateful to God and the Supreme Court Justices that they have left the stay in place, and that they recognize our willingness to reach a resolution that allows us to abide by our faith and the government to achieve its goals. We have already stated our willingness to come to such an agreement and we hope that the government shares that willingness. We look forward to the next steps in this process.

They need to come to some kind of agreement or settlement soon that will be acceptable to the Sisters, otherwise this is going to end in disaster for them if it drags on long enough that a ninth justice is named to the court (assuming a Hillary victory in November). I think that is the best we can realistically hope for at this point, because the way the Supreme Court is right now they will never have an outright victory.

The White House was pleased as well.

“We’ll obviously continue to engage in the process; but we obviously are pleased the announcement today by the Supreme Court protects the ability of millions of women nationwide to continue to get access to their health care,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said.

washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-pleased-with-supreme-courts-contraception-ruling/article/2591451

True, but most on here care about the reactions of good people, not the reactions of immoral secularists who dislike God. Thanks though.

The protracted legal battle over employee access to birth control from employers who object on religious grounds is heading back to lower courts.

But the religious challengers — led by Catholic nuns who run Little Sisters of the Poor’s home for impoverished seniors in Denver — are declaring victory.

In a unanimous, unsigned opinion Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court asked the Obama administration and groups with religious objections to contraceptives to work out a compromise.

denverpost.com/news/ci_29901299/little-sisters-happy-supreme-court-contraception-opinion

It’s being reported that the act of having to fill out an exemption form would itself be a sin of complicity. I don’t understand why this it is being interpreted thus by the plaintiffs.

How did the Catholic Church receive its formal exemption from birth control in the ACA? Surely it must have filled out a form. Why would filling out a form be sinful for an affiliate organization like Little Sisters’ hospitals?

I have no idea what that means. Unless you believe one has to be a Catholic or of another more conservative faith and can’t be of a more progressive bend in order to like God. But if that’s the case then I of course would wholeheartedly reject such a premise. Because in my experience, many who might be considered progressive here, actually love God and are good people too. But thanks anyway to you as well. God bless.

Yeah, I personally found that guys comment a bit rude and very judgmental. You may not agree with a certain opinion, but that doesn’t mean that everyone who does is a “bad” person.

The case imho is a loser for Obama and they should seek other alternatives than imposing a demand when other options exist for Barrack ‘If you like your health care plan, you can keep it’ Obama. The case sent to lower court doesn’t change the overreach of Democrats persecuting the Church and little sisters of the poor. They’ve become an embarrassment with this.

I don’t think anything the collective White House says or does is in the interest of “good”, or certainly pleasing to God, especially via a vis the religious freedom issue and the Little Sisters. That has nothing to do with their political bent or party, but merely repeated actions and utterances over time. I find much of what they promote simply furthers evil causes.

You are free to disagree and think better of them. :shrug:

We all have to compromise sometimes, such as in our respecting gay marriage, but religious liberty is alive and well in America!

The same way you respect income inequality and the vast number of those mired in poverty?

No we do not have to respect anything contrary to God’s plan for mankind. You are simply picking and choosing which parts of his plan you want to ignore. We are not called to do that.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.