Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clinic regulations

On Monday, the Supreme Court struck down a 2013 Texas law regulating the safety of abortion clinics, saying in a 5-3 decision that it put an undue burden on a women’s right to an abortion.

The case had challenged two Texas regulations of abortion clinics: abortionists must have admitting privileges at a local hospital in case of a medical emergency at their clinic, and clinic buildings must meet the standards of ambulatory surgery centers. They must have proper sanitation, staffing, and medical experts on hand to deal with medical emergencies.

The law was passed in the wake of the Kermit Gosnell scandal. Gosnell, a Philadelphia abortionist, was convicted in May 2013 on three counts of first-degree murder for babies born alive who were killed at his clinic, and he was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter after a woman died from an anesthesia overdose at his clinic.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/supreme-court-strikes-down-texas-abortion-restrictions-68266/

Well, we really couldn’t expect abortion clinics to be sanitary, now would we? Goes to show how utterly dedicated to abortion on demand the Dems really are.

All Dem appointees voted to keep abortion clinics unsafe and unsanitary, Three Repubs voted in favor of the Tx law. Anthony Kennedy, being an abortion-minded “Catholic”, voted with the Dems.

Another Clinton/Obama presidency will lock in abortion and other “social change” for a generation, including Hillary’s desire to make us “change our religion”.

cnn.com/2016/06/27/politics/supreme-court-abortion-texas/index.html

killing the child is more important than getting a woman to the hospital in the event of an emergency (and we KNOW those happen - they are documented by various pro life groups). This is not about limiting access to child killing, its about health and safety. We have more safety laws for nail salons and tanning booths than we do for killing centers!

This is a setback for those whose efforts place undue burdens on women to exercise their constitutional right. But under the law I believe the correct decision.

Since the law was passed, the number of clinics providing abortion services in Texas dropped to 19 from 42. Opponents said that number would fall to ten if the Supreme Court upheld the law.

The Center for Reproductive Rights called the law “an absolute sham,” arguing that abortion patients rarely require hospitalization and that many patients simply take two pills.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer in writing the majority opinion said “neither of these provisions offers medical benefits sufficient to justify the burdens upon access that each imposes. Each places a substantial obstacle in the path of women seeking a pre-viability abortion, each constitutes an undue burden on abortion access, and each violates the Federal Constitution.”

Surgical patients undergo a ten-minute procedure without general anesthesia in the outpatient setting of a doctor’s office or clinic, the group said, and complications from abortion are extremely rare.

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/supreme-court-strikes-down-strict-abortion-law-n583001

As I understand the case and the statements in the ruling the decision was in part based on the law not actually solving the problem that it was stated to solve.

Most if not all of the abortion clinics that have closed, probably won’t be reopening though, will they? Or will they reopen? I think I read about one that was turned into a pro-life clinic.

The whole Supreme Court approach is just an expression of political ideology. That’s why all the Dems vote in favor of allowing PP to be unsanitary and unsafe. More profitable that way. Voted in favor of partial birth abortion too.

No Democrat appointee will ever vote to limit abortion in any manner.

Does that mean that the justifications the Supreme Court stated in their decision are false?

Do you base your agreement with the decision on the law or your love of babies being aborted?

ETA: I’m always shocked on this forum at the number of Catholic (I’ll ignore the non-Catholics) who support abortion like this. I guess I shouldn’t be anymore. Maybe it’s more than just a lot of marriages that are “invalid” in the Church.

I was afraid they were going to punt this one but am glad they had a majority to make the correct decision.

So the Democrat drive to limit the number of black, brown and female children born in this country may continue unabated

How did the Texas law improve health and improve the speed of getting a woman to the hospital in the case of an emergency?

So you reject the Church’s teaching on abortion? When making decisions based on morality should we , as Catholics, turn to the Catechism or the Democrat Party Platform?

It will vary. The reason most closed was because they couldn’t afford to renovate or lease/purchase buildings that were surgery centers. Some clinic owners will have moved on but it’s much easier to open new clinics now.

By assuring those they paid to kill their child did so in qualified surgical clinic with emergency care nearby.

Legal abortion will not go way until Democrats value life more than their own choice. I have no idea how that can, or will happen–yet, until they value all human life from natural conception to natural death, nothing will change.

I like using historical examples, and, well a lot of Germans went to Mass on Sunday and killed Jews on Monday.

Party uber alles for many.

The Germans were rank amateurs compared to our countries killing machine.

Is it time for Texas to hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star?

I can’t answer for Sy Noe, but this decision is both bad law and of course, bad for unborn babies. The whole abortion jurisprudence that the Supreme Court has given the United States since 1973 is horrendous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.