Supreme Court weighs the constitutionality of death penalty for intellectually disabled

Supreme Court weighs the constitutionality of death penalty for intellectually disabled abcn.ws/2gFNfbQ

So, according to the “Compare the perpetrator to Lenny from Of Mice and Men” method; the state of Texas Court of Criminal Appeals says that this guy on death row is not intellectually disabled.

But according to the most recent edition of the American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD) and the DSM-5 (the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) this guy is intellectually disabled.

I’m not familiar with either method, although I’ve seen the movie, Of Mice and Men. I’ve heard the DSM-5 is very liberal in it’s application of assigning acronyms (OCD, ADD, BPD and so on) to just about anybody.

Is anyone familiar with the DSM-5?

I would think the actual standardized diagnostic tool.

Lennie was a fictional character created by Steinbeck. Was he based on an actual person? Or was he completely based on Steinbeck’s imagination?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.