Surprise! Men like pretty women

Earth-Shattering Study: Men Like Good-Looking Women

WASHINGTON — Science is confirming what most women know: When given the choice for a mate, men go for good looks.

And guys won’t be surprised to learn that women are much choosier about partners than they are.

“Just because people say they’re looking for a particular set of characteristics in a mate, someone like themselves, doesn’t mean that is what they’ll end up choosing,” Peter M. Todd, of the cognitive science program at Indiana University, Bloomington, said in a telephone interview

Full story.

So is anyone really surprised? Does the fact that a man is attracted to a pretty woman make him shallow? Is a woman who makes an effort to look pretty shallow or cheap?

Personally, I do not think so.

I can’t believe they wasted the money and the time to study this! :rolleyes:

Yes, I like pretty women, but the ladies in the picture are not quite my type because they’re a bit too glitzy for me. and they’d need to deal away with belly lines to get me to ask their phone number. :stuck_out_tongue:

Researchers led by Todd’s report in Tuesday’s edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that their study found humans were similar to most other mammals, “following Darwin’s principle of choosy females and competitive males, even if humans say something different.”

Explains why I’m single.

The scientists said women were aware of the importance of their own attractiveness to men, and adjusted their expectations to select the more desirable guys.
“Women made offers to men who had overall qualities that were on a par with the women’s self-rated attractiveness. They didn’t greatly overshoot their attractiveness,” Todd said, "because part of the goal for women is to choose men who would stay with them."
But, he added, “they didn’t go lower. They knew what they could get and aimed for that level.”

Okay… :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think so either. And like CatholicSam, I can’t believe that research money was spent on this.

I need to find out who funded this. If they’ll fund that, I should have no problem getting extra money for my research. :rolleyes:

Somewhere out there is some guy married to an ugly lady and going…" Man if only I had access to this kind of information…"

I think you’ll find an ugly lady with a normal man more often than a pretty lady with an ugly guy.

Edit: By the way, I should probably answer the questions from the opening post, so:

1. I don’t care if I’m shallow for liking pretty girls. I don’t even like the “sexy” type, I’m a sucker for cute girls. My dad was a painter and sculptor, I’m aesthetical. If someone wants to judge me shallow, it’s fine.

2. A woman is not shallow for trying to look pretty. Shallowness starts when it becomes too sexual or when it’s meant for leading people on.

So true!

Where is the smiley of homer simpson that goes “DUH”…

If you have ever been to a bar or a dance hall or high school you would have know this to be true.Next time they can ask me and i will save them the money of a study.

To quote my DD (and “Beckers”)… DUH!

Is it news and a new scientific discovery that men are usually physically attracted 1st???

Yes we’re shallow and narrow-minded, but I think that even a woman will agree that it’d be a whole lot more pleasant to spend your life with someone that you can stand to look at! :rolleyes:

Looks don’t necessarily mean physical attraction and vice versa. Attraction to voice can be quite physical too. Besides, women’s visual attraction is simply more complicated and trickier than men’s.

What the study implies is also that women rate men’s attractiveness and compare it to their own. This is not a new concept by any means. I read about it in a book by Zimbardo published before I was born. This means some kind of societal attractiveness, based on an estimate of external opinions. I think women mind if you’re attractive to other women more than men do if women are to other men. * Not like men aren’t pressured into liking Baywatch types, anyway. At any rate, both sexes have some programming to unlearn.

• Note that it’s impossible for every member of a group to be attracted to something just because others are. There is necessarily at least one original trendsetter. Note also that there are, after all, some differences as to what male qualities are desirable, which theoretically means there are many circles started by trendsetters. Particular affiliation may be chosen for various reasons, including preference. It’s not like individual preference doesn’t matter.

Huh?

:shrug:What is pretty at 50, 60, 70 or 80! Hello we all age and as nice as it is to be attractive and beautiful it is only a temporary state.
If a man marries because someone is pretty what happens when they have babies, get old, or put on a few pounds!:stuck_out_tongue:

Liking the pretty is not the same as bowing to sex drive.

Sex drive is affected by much other stuff than just looks.

Women like what other women like.

think you’ll find an ugly lady with a normal man

Yeah. What’s with that?? Can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked down the street and wondered "How did she land him???"
Some really awesome looking guys with some women who have really let themselves go, (if they were ever there to begin with.)

(Don’t start throwing pie plates. I work hard to keep from “letting go” with no encouragement from anyone whatsoever. Just my refusal to look like someone who was thrown away.)

But I have a sister who lives on a military base and she is amused by how often the guys with movie-star looks end up with a wife who is several rungs beneath him on the ladder.

Someone care to let us in on the secret? :confused:

Yup. If I, as a hetero guy, can say the man’s handsome and I’m not attracted at all to the lady - even though I might like her as a person, then it looks like someone isn’t caring about looks. :wink:

But I have a sister who lives on a military base and she is amused by how often the guys with movie-star looks end up with a wife who is several rungs beneath him on the ladder.

Someone care to let us in on the secret? :confused:

I don’t know, honestly. I can only tell you that while I’m said to be really good-looking, and I have a soft spot for cute girls, it works differently with friends than it does with new people. It matters less when we’ve already been friends. So you could match me up with someone deemed less attractive than I am. Besides, if I love a girl, she only becomes prettier to me with each passing day.

I’ve noticed on many occasions that women of these times tend to choose men who appear, at least to me, less educated, less eloquent, less intelligent, less well-mannered, less elegant than the girl. By a couple notches sometimes. Can’t say the same about the looks unless the style counts. Noticed how many chic girls go out with sloppy guys?

A good looking guy doesn’t always want to be seen with someone as good looking or better than him. She would then be competition for the attention he thinks he deserves.
Kathy

I don’t think that’s true of the majority of good-looking guys. Some guys do pick girls they deem ugly on purpose, though. That’s because they think they would always have to compete for the pretty ones, so they want an ugly one who will stay and who will be faithful. I disagree with the misconceptions about pretty girls, just for the record. I watch the behaviour and only if they like the attention too much and especially if they slut it up a bit, only then do I cross them out. Scanty clothes, licentious behaviour, innuendo, flirting for benefits… Ca-boom. End of story. Admittedly, prettier folks are probably more tempted to use their looks to their advantage. Anyway, the best of looks are killed by a lack of any spark of wisdom or goodness.

:mad: :bigyikes: :ouch:

Kathy

Yup. That’s how it may feel to you, incensing and horribly absurd (it looks the same to me, just for the record), that some guys would pick uglier girls believing they’d be more faithful. But look. Those guys think prettier girls are less faithful. You think handsomer guys are likely to want the spotlight for themselves, not for the girl. Isn’t it a free game for all?

Maybe those good looking guys don’t have the character to attract an equally attractive woman. Women are more choosy about character. A good-looking guy is no match for a guy with an awesome personality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.