Surrendering to God?

Hi!

As Catholics are we supposed to surrender our hearts, minds and souls to God? Do our souls belong to God? I said today “I give my soul to you” today to God, but then I was like, what exactly does that mean?

Are we supposed to give our souls, minds and hearts over to God as Catholics?

Thanks!

[quote="Doves411, post:1, topic:323123"]
Hi!

As Catholics are we supposed to surrender our hearts, minds and souls to God? Do our souls belong to God? I said today "I give my soul to you" today to God, but then I was like, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Everything belongs to G0d. All the gifts you received from G0d, you take them, appreciate them and work on them like study His scriptures hence serve him with your mind, and you act accordingly with your heart being charitable to others. When you consequently make this world a better place and give your soul back to our Creator, you surrender yourself to him. To do this means that you totally accept his will. There’s no fear. There’s no desperation. There's nothing but Him. You trust in Him and surrender yourself to Him. Your soul is in His hands.

Knowing that everything is G0d and belongs to Him is a humbling realization. Being humble, however, doesn’t necessarily mean that you put yourself last. Sometimes you have to step up to the plate in order to help someone become a better person, which I strongly feel is our obligation.
In order to appreciate the gifts you received from G0d, you have to realize them first – which means you are aware of them. Being aware of your gifts that can make this world a better place doesn’t make you proud of yourself but enhances your feeling of thankfulness to G0d. My experience is, particularly when I have those extraordinary moments of such deep thankfulness that I cry uncontrollably, I especially feel one with the Creator.

[quote="Doves411, post:1, topic:323123"]
Hi!

As Catholics are we supposed to surrender our hearts, minds and souls to God? Do our souls belong to God? I said today "I give my soul to you" today to God, but then I was like, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks!

[/quote]

knowing that one belongs to him if this is helpful feel free to give again

God bless You

Our Lord has given you EVERYTHING good that you have (including your heart, mind and soul) so it is right to offer it all back up to Him, Our good and loving Father and the Source of all good. Let him do with you whatever He pleases. Pray the prayer: Lord, may your holy Will be done in my life with no obstacles to Your holy Will. Lord, I want only what You want: only that which You will for me or permit to happen to me. I give You my heart/my will, Lord; give me Your Own. Amen.

You are God’s and He owns you. The Church teaches that we do not own ourselves but only God does. By making an offering of yourself to God you are showing Him that you are His and you are showing Him that you want to be abandoned to His merciful love as His docile instrument. Be abandoned to Our Lord’s merciful love with confidence in HIs merciful love. This will make you a saint. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.