Surrogate carrying triplets sues to stop forced abortion

nypost.com/2016/01/04/surrogate-mom-carrying-triplets-sues-to-stop-forced-abortion/

Is there no end to the insanity that treats children as property with less value than a family pet?

Surrogacy was a can of worms finally being opened.

Jim

She isn’t being forced to have an abortion. She’s just trying to weasel her way out of the legal contract she signed; which stipulates that the donor can request a “reduction” and refusal would mean she will not be paid to carry it, she would be responsible for the cost of delivery, and she may be subject to a lawsuit to recover the cost of raising the child and any special medical treatment that may be required. The contract is fair. If she wants the child she can foot the bill.

This statement bugs me. I love how they throw in “though science” as if that alone is enough to support it. Otherwise I guess we are science deniers or something.

“This (IV surrogacy) is an opportunity for childless individuals through science to be able to have a family. They want to deny that opportunity.”

Apparently not::eek::In these situations you have individuals going to extraordinary measures to achieve a pregnancy…then when there too many babies as n this case,they want to abort one or more.
Just one of the many consequences of playing God.:frowning:

Some people you may not ordinarily expect to be opposed to surrogacy are coming out against it:

sverigeskvinnolobby.se/en/project/feminist-no-to-surrogacy-motherhood/

thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/05/15037/

Fascinating. Can you imagine finding out later in life that your father tried to have you aborted, and then, when that didn’t work, filed a lawsuit to recover the cost of raising you since you were not part of his original plan?

The whole thing is messed up.

Unmarried women are usually granted court-ordered child support payments from the fathers of their children. Same principle IMO.

There is a crucial distinction here: In one case, a parent is compelled to pay for the child’s upbringing because he was one of the two parties that brought the child into the world. In the other case, a parent (although a surrogate is a third party, biologically speaking) is being compelled to pay for the child’s upbringing because she refused to kill him or her.

You really don’t think that is messed up?

Do the stronger then have right to kill the weaker and were slave owners just to beat their “property”? Do you value legal contracts over human beings and would you have objected to your parents potentially “reducing” you? Because if you defend your right to live in such circumstances you’re a hypocrite.

Not at all. If she wants the child then she should pay the expenses pertaining to that pregnancy, the cost of delivery, and contribute to the cost of raising the child. Having and raising babies isn’t free and bringing the child into the world is her choice.

What if she simply doesn’t want to murder the child but also doesn’t want to raise the child? This is a situation that is not supposed to happen. Surrogacy is gravely sinful to begin with.
2376 Techniques that entail the dissociation of husband and wife, by the intrusion of a person other than the couple (donation of sperm or ovum, surrogate uterus), are gravely immoral. These techniques (heterologous artificial insemination and fertilization) infringe the child’s right to be born of a father and mother known to him and bound to each other by marriage. They betray the spouses’ “right to become a father and a mother only through each other.”

All parties involved need to be baptized or receive the sacrament of Penance for the salvation of their souls.

Ms. Melissa Cook - God views abortion as murdering a baby. That is the sin he is trying to get you to commit. Do not let this happen under any circumstances. Also, you need to become Catholic for the salvation of your soul. The Catholic Church is the one Christ established. Ask the Mother of God to help you in this difficult situation and bring you to the Son of God, who is God, for the salvation of your soul (I know this part might not make sense yet. It is a part of supernatural faith in God called belief in the Holy Trinity. There is a difference between natural faith and supernatural faith. Supernatural faith is faith that is infused at baptism, and is the belief in all that God has revealed to the Church He established for the salvation of souls. For instance, a Muslim has natural faith in God. You must become Catholic for the salvation of your eternal soul. Only Catholics have supernatural faith and God only established one religion - the Catholic Church. All others believe falsehood, although they have part of the truth mixed in them).

Also know that God loves that child as much as He would if the child were not born from the surrogate situation, and that if you are to raise that child in God’s Church you will be doing the will of God.

I’m sure that’s a common argument in family court, but it doesn’t work. Shouldn’t work in this case either. Bringing a child into the world means she is responsible for what happens afterwards whether she wants to be or not.

Before getting pregnant, it was understood that she would not be raising a child. She rented out her God-given reproductive system because a secular world taught her that it is not evil to do so. Now the same secular world is telling her it won’t be evil to murder the child that is now in her womb, body AND soul, and she had no intentions of raising a child. In fact, she is being sued to murder the child, from my understanding. Not so surprising when you understand who the ruler of this world is.

1 John 5:19
We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. 19We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. 20And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.…

1 John 5:4
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome. 4For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world-- our faith. 5Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?..

2 Corinthians 4:4
3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.…

What it comes down to is Satan wants her to be a child-murderer instead of attaining to eternal life. That is her situation.

So she is in a situation she will find herself in again and again throughout life. Either she sacrifices in love to do good, or she directly cooperates in something gravely evil.

1 John 4:16
Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.…

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.…

The eternal God, who is Love itself, has a will for her and everyone and everything around her is likely trying to stop her from doing it because Satan is the ruler of this world and her flesh has a fallen nature.

Romans 8:5
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.

If she does the will of God, she will attain eternal life in Heaven with God forever and ever.

Matthew 7:21
"So then, you will know them by their fruits. 21"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'23"And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

The facts seem to be disputed.

Walmsley said the biological father did initially request Cook to abort one of the triplets — but only for health reasons based on the recommendation of doctors.

But when Cook refused, the dad respected Cook’s wishes and backed off. He did not pursue legal action for breach of contact and continues to make medical payments to her, Walmsley said.
“Let’s move on,” the lawyer said.

So she is not suing to stop a ‘forced abortion’ according to this, but to claim parental rights she had initially signed away.

I don’t see why she cannot simply put the child up for adoption if she cannot raise it.

I actually partially agree with you. Most surrogate mothers I have read about seem to have good intentions, but they are misguided. Making a stupid decision does not relieve you of consequences. The decision of the father was also misguided and he cannot be relieved of his responsibility either.

The issue is that the contract between the parties is, or should be, invalid. Adults are free to do a lot of stupid things, but they are not entitled to make a contract that damages an innocent third party. In this case that is a still unborn human being who did not consent to any of this nonsense.

Courts have consistently denied the right of a father to block the abortion of his child when the mother wants one. It should be equally illegal to allow a contract that gives a father the right to insist on an abortion or be relieved of his responsibilities. There is also a common argument in family courts that a father never wanted a baby, just an uncommitted sexual relationship, and that he was tricked into becoming a father. It never convinces the judge either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.