Sursum corda

A recall reading a while back, in one of the OT prophets a verse which was something along the lines of “let us raise our hearts to the Lord”, but I can’t seem to find it. Does anyone know which verse it is?

Prophet Jeremiah?

[BIBLEDRB]Lamentations 3:41[/BIBLEDRB]

Yes, I think it was.

ok :)

An Orthodox subdeacon friend of mine belongs to a jurisdiction which uses the English translation "Let our hearts be on high," which I find rather lovely :)

May be lovely but it’s pretty creative or very dynamic if you ask me.

So how did we even get from “Upwards hearts” (in Polish, W górę serca) to “Lift up your hearts” in the first place? It seems like a dead giveaway that the Spanish Levantemos el corazon and the French Elevons notre coeur were translated from the English (or was it the other way around?) and not the Latin sursum corda, which literally is the directional “upwards hearts.” If I had to do a dynamic translation, mine would be “Turn your hearts upwards” but that’s me. And it’s not lovely. :slight_smile:

Let us lift up our heart with [our] hands unto God in the heavens. (Lamentations 3:41)

Then I think what the OP is looking for is:

Lam 3:41 Nun. Levemus corda nostra cum manibus ad Dominum in cælos.

I did a search on “sursum corda” across the Vulgate and couldn’t find the phrase.

Yep, that’s the one, as you can tell from my previous comment :wink:

I was looking for that because I am trying to grasp a bit better that command - sursum corda - in the Mass.

Gotcha. I found this interesting bit from wiki: (I think you made the point about “our” hearts instead of “your” hearts.)

The Sursum Corda (Latin for “Lift up your hearts” or literally “Hearts lifted”; Slavonic: Горе’ имеем сердца) is the opening dialogue to the Preface of the Eucharistic Prayer or Anaphora in the liturgies of the Christian Church, dating back to at least the third century and the Anaphora of the Apostolic Tradition. The dialogue is recorded in the earliest liturgies of the Christian Church, and is found in all ancient rites.[1]

The phrase “Sursum Corda” is generally translated as “lift up your hearts”, but the Latin literally just says “Up [the] hearts” (Latin does not distinguish between definite and indefinite). Being a translation of the Greek, “Sursum Corda” idiomatically should imply “our hearts” rather than “your hearts”, as per the modern Spanish translation, “Levantemos el corazón” (let us lift up the heart). The Greek version Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας means “Let us lift up the hearts”, idiomatically implying “our hearts”.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sursum_corda

[quote="ProVobis, post:10, topic:290833"]
Gotcha. I found this interesting bit from wiki: (I think you made the point about "our" hearts instead of "your" hearts.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sursum_corda

[/quote]

In Portuguese the translation is "Corações ao alto", which can be both "raise your hearts" or "raise our hearts".

Lamentations 3:41 I think usccb.org/bible/lamentations/3 bible.cc/lamentations/3-41.htm

Lamentations 3:41
"Let us lift up our hearts and hands to God in heaven"

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.