Surviving The Death of Mom & Dad

My dear father died 6 weeks ago. My dear mother 2 years ago. At the times of their deaths I was at peace and felt the grace of God with me. I am now full of anxiety and and have no motivation for anything. I have not been in a church since Dad’s funeral, tho I pray alot. What can I do to get back to where I belong with God and the wolrd? I would appreciate advice on readings I can find to help me through this. I know they are eternally happy together now, but I am miserable.

Praying for your happiness and peace of mind!

Can you make yourself go to mass, even if you don’t feel like it? I think you would feel so much better if you did. I am sure it’s what your dear parents would tell you to do if they could.

I am so sorry for your losses. I will pray for you.

My Father passed away 6 years ago this year and my Mother passed away last July. I am still trying to deal with their passings and I too know that they are together, but it also means I am on my own.

Remember the good times that you had, it will be hard but both you and myself will be able to get through this period. They may be gone but they will NEVER be forgotten.

I will hold you in my prayers.

Remember at Mass we are united with all those who have gone before us in faith and praise God with them together. Attending Mass was an emotional experience for me following the death of my parents. I cried a lot. Please go to Confession and start going to Mass again. (Bring tissues.:tissues:)

The Sacrament of Confession, also called Reconciliation, is one of the sacraments of healing. You have suffered a great loss. My condolences.

Eternal Rest grant unto them oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen

Hello Merry_Mystic
I lost my father to cancer 5 years ago, so I can understand how hard it is for you right now.
I am praying that you will go back to mass in thankgiving for the many blessings that you have been given through your parents and that you will offer up your sorrow to Jesus.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

How little we often know ourselves and often we don’t grieve as we need to, then the unacknowledged grief and loss rises up to drag us down. My husband didn’t grieve for his mother who died late December and clains to have no need to grieve since the day of the funeral, and his depression is almost paralysing a lot of the time since. He was depressed enough before…but now!

**You’ve lost the two people you’ve known all your life, the two who loved you no matter what, a kind of underlying security you probably never examined, because it was a natural as the air you breathed. **I feel I could cry for you myself and have tears in my eyes for you. When my mother died leaving nine children ranging from age four to nineteen, it was a year before I cried because I’d lost my mother, and I had three sons before I sobbed all day long because she never knew my sons and could never have an adult woman to woman talk, or even just a cup of tea together!

I ask God to help you with **this very human problem **that you probably feel guity and helpless about, as it is partly a human problem. And I ask God to help with **the spiritual aspect, **that is also human, that you dear friend will take the step to go to Confession, so that step by step you can coome alive again in the Church that Jesus gave us for our healing and love.

God bless you,
Love, Trishie.

I lost both my parents almost 5 years ago. They died within one month of each other.
I understand the lack of motivation; it comes from true depression. I talked to my doctor and it was a big help. I also don’t know what I would have done without my friends. Make yourself call them even if you don’t feel like it. It will lift you.

My heart goes out to you and you will be in my prayers.
May you feel Our Lord’s strength, grace and love during this difficult time.
:crossrc::hug1:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

Thank You All!
You have helped me to commit to Reconciliation tomorrow morning, with your prayers I will be able to do it. I truly think with your & God’s help, I will be able to get myself dressed and start experiencing the joy of our Lord. Depression is a horrible thing, and I know God doesn’t want us to live sadly. So (hopefully) I will take a box of kleenex and get in touch with God’s grace again. I’m not sure I will be motivated tho. Thank you again to all that have given me feeling of belonging in a world I have been orphaned in.
Mary

Good for you, Mary.
I know you can do it.
I believe in you.
I will be praying for you.
Your sister in Christ,
dtiggs

Lord, let this good soul know that You want to fill this loneliness and empty spot in Merry Mystic’s heart with nothing but You. Let Merry Mystic know that you are calling him/her to grow in the spiritual life and recognise his/her humble and complete dependence on You for self-fulfillment and happiness. May Merry Mystic turn to You for help. Merry Mystic is Your child, and is really important to You. Only You can transform the emptiness and isolation Merry Mystic is experiencing with your grace. May You grace him/her with desire to work on a relationship with You that tops all relationships he’s/she’s ever known. May Merry Mystic go to church and begin praying daily even more than before. May Merry Mystic read about You and follow your commands and respond to your call to help those less fortunate in service of You and with love. May Merry Mystic find nurturing relationships that will foster his/her love of You and may he/she grow to sainthood in his/her spiritual life. Amen.

My prayers are with you Mary. My Father passed away 20 years ago and my Mother 2 years ago. It doesn’t matter how old you may be, once we lose our parents, it’s very difficult and sad. Take Care and remember them in daily prayers and Mass. In fact, consider offering a Mass up for them. Please make it to Confession and go to, at least, Sunday Mass every week.

Send me a message if you’d like, I would be happy to talk to you more if you’d like…

Praying very hard for you at this time.

The grieving heart

Dear Mother Mary, please comfort this grieving heart in the waves of pain that frequently engulf it. Sustain it when dark mourning closes out all light of comfort and hope , and when prayer seems no longer possible. Obtain the gentle understanding and warm companionship of others to nurture the stricken heart and lead it towards hope and new life. Sustain it with faith and bring it to true generosity of spirit even in its sorrow.

You deeply experienced the laceration of suffering and bereavement, Mother. It entered and filled your Son’s life, piercing your soul, echoing through all your years. You watched your beloved Child follow a path that led to His earthly annihilation. Grieving, you were powerless to murmur or to prevent Him who must be about His divine Father’s affairs. You suffered, prayed, and loved in silent faith, as so many loved ones must.

Like innumerable mothers throughout the ages, you watched with anguish the struggling progress of your Son’s destiny, amid rising danger of circumstance and others’ opposition. Finally, you beheld as others’ selfishness, unbelief, ambition, fear and pride, destroyed Him who only loved them and sought their salvation.

He hung there, your boy, cruelly nailed, struggling for breath and faith. You helplessly watched life drain from His pure, loved body as His struggle deepened in pain, fever and weakness. You would have protected Him whom you loved in excruciating intensity, but you could never choose to betray the divine intention that entrusted Him to you. “Your will be done!” your being replied endlessly with His to the divine Father.

Have pity on the anguished helplessness issuing from inability to alleviate the sufferings of dear ones. Mother crucified of heart, as we suffer with our dear ones’ pain and grief, please obtain for us such courage, obedience and selflessness as your own and His, so that the highest will of divine love shall be fulfilled in each of our lives.

Mother have pity on that terrible grief, that chasm of loss, the emptiness that stretches before the bereaved as they embrace their dead in their desolate hearts, as you have done. Let them find hope in Your dead son’s resurrection even when their hearts are still frozen with grief.

Thank you, dear Mother.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.