Survivors of coronavirus banned from joining the military

:thinking:

1 Like

This will be temporary I’m sure. Just until we understand the virus more.

2 Likes

One would hope so. But the phrase “eventual permanent disqualification” doesn’t help that hope much.

Just means it’s non-waiverable at this time. There are lots of medical conditions that can disqualify you from joining, but the applicant can ask that it be waived in their case. Sometimes the military will grant the waiver after review, sometimes not. Some conditions, on the other hand, are per se non-waiverable. It’s a hard no.

Sounds like as of right now, Covid is a hard no. But I bet that changes in the next year as we develop a vaccine and learn more about it. Just my guess.

2 Likes

If this stays in place and we are aiming for a 75% infected & recovered rate, we will end up with no military. Hopefully it will be re-thought and soon.

4 Likes

Requesting a thread merge.

1 Like

Sent a note to the monitors

1 Like

from your link

Recruits can apply for waivers for all permanently disqualifying conditions, including surviving COVID-19. However, without any further guidance for exceptions dealing with COVID-19, a review authority would have no justification to grant a waiver.

Maxwell declined to explain why a coronavirus diagnosis would be permanently disqualifying, compared to other viral, non-chronic illnesses that do not preclude military service.

However, given the limited research on COVID-19, there are likely a few factors that military medical professionals are trying to hash out when it comes to recruiting survivors: Whether respiratory damage from the virus is long-lasting or permanent, and whether that can be assessed; the likelihood of recurring flare-ups, even if someone has had two consecutive negative tests; and the possibility that one bout of COVID-19 might not provide full immunity for the future, and could potentially leave someone at a higher risk to contract it again, perhaps with worse complications.

That is where robot soldiers will be beneficial - once they are developed and approved.

Well, perhaps it will lead to world peace? Look on the bright side!

Sadly, I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.