Suspect in killing of police officer was in U.S. illegally, authorities say

I hope they find the suspect. I saw a photo of the officer and his wife and 5 month old baby taken 5 hours before he was killed.
Very sad!

Do the sympathizers for illegals have any compassion for the family that was permanently separated by an illegal?

2 Likes

What does that mean? Have you bothered to learn anything about this officer and how hard he worked to become a police officer and have you read about his family or seen the Christmas picture taken of his wife and 5 month old baby and himself hours before he was murdered?
I believe he immigrated from Fiji specifically with the dream and goal of
becoming a police officer.

The officer, as I understand it from the news coverage, was a legal immigrant. And he goes on to get a job upholding the laws, in contrast with his killer who clearly doesn’t care about any laws at all, whether they’re immigration laws or laws about not killing others and not killing police.

I realize that there are good people who are in the US illegally, but the point is that when someone is willing to break one law they are at a greater risk for breaking a lot of laws, and also that when people enter illegally there is no mechanism to keep out those with past histories of violent, criminal, antisocial behavior.

6 Likes

And what greater law can you break other than murder?

7, I don’t mean to speak for LastStand, but you both are in agreement and saying basically the same thing…

I wasn’t responding to LastStand. There was another post that has since been removed that I was responding to. I should have quoted it, I usually do, but I didn’t
@tuscany

Gotcha. Yes, you normally DO use a quote to document what you are responding to. Wish I had seen it, can’t believe someone would even try to defend a monster.

It was short and I can’ remember now the exact words - I remember the poster, but can’t remember the exact post.
Yes, I agree. I find this story very tragic and I hope they catch this guy very soon.
My prayer’s for this officer’s family and the family of officer’s he worked with. I understand it was a small police force of
only 12 officers. So I am sure his fellow officers are grieving.

They’ve caught the s.o.b. and two others who assisted him.
From the sheriff’s office… “…We were never more than a step behind this guy,” Sheriff Christianson said in a press conference. Christianson said Gustavo Perez Arriaga, 32, was living in the United States illegally. Two other men, Adrian Virgen, 25, and Erik Razo Quiroz, 27, were arrested on Thursday. Authorities say they helped Perez Arriaga escape after Singh was shot and killed.
“We had them in custody, asked them for their cooperation and they lied to us,” Christianson said. Virgen is Perez Arriaga’s brother, authorities said. Quiroz was a coworker.
Perez Arriaga, who is from Mexico, worked sporadically as a laborer, authorities said. They said he had known gang affiliations and had two prior drunken driving arrests. All three were in the U.S. illegally."

I am angry! This is the third policeman murdered by an illegal in two years not too far from me. What is it about the word ILLEGAL (as in should NOT have even been here to do this) that is SO hard for some people to understand???

2 Likes

After they caught him, they removed the handcuffs and replaced them with the cuffs of the officer he killed. I’ve never heard of that -

Me too. So many stories about ICE’s questionable priorities. This killer has prior arrests and was a known gang member. Why is ICE not prioritizing apprehending people like this who pose the greatest threat.

1 Like

Don’t forget that ICE has to try to do their job in a sanctuary state and, local law enforcement have their hands tied by the laws passed by politicians that protect illegals. The ONLY thing that gives me any satisfaction in this travesty, is that law enforcement used murdered Officer Singh’s own handcuffs to arrest this s.o.b.

4 Likes

The CA law is probably not properly characterized as tying people’s hands.

ICE has its own means, methods, and priorities. I wish that they were more focused in CA on Central Valley gangs.

dvdjs . . .

. . . . Why is ICE not prioritizing apprehending people like this who pose the greatest threat.

Because leftist politicians hinder such apprehending by inventing “sanctuary cities” among other obstacles.

“We can’t ignore the fact that this could’ve been preventable,” he said, adding that California Senate Bill 54 – which became law last year – prohibited his department “from sharing any information with ICE about this criminal gang member.” . . .

. . . . “This is a criminal illegal alien with prior criminal activity that should have been reported to ICE,” Christianson said. “Law enforcement was prohibited because of sanctuary laws and that led to the encounter with Officer Singh. I’m suggesting that the outcome could have been different if law enforcement wasn’t restricted, prohibited or had their hands tied because of political interference.”

But wait! There’s more!

Also from the story . . .

Arriaga’s brother, Adrian Virgen, 25, and coworker, Erik Razo Quiroz, 32, were arrested Thursday for accessory after the fact to a felony. Virgen was arrested in Hanford and Quiroz in Modesto, Christianson said.

He said they were trying to protect Arriaga, who was trying to go to Mexico. . . .

. . . . Christianson said Virgen and Quiroz were also in the United States illegally.

2 Likes

Agreed. Take the all rope in the county and find a tall tree. Hang him high in the street so that all his illegal buddies can see it. That is what would happen in a just world after a fair trial of course.

Easy to say, but the actual evidence is at best unclear.
What is clear is that ICE spends considerable time and effort on cases that do nothing to increase public safety safety, and which precipitate a strong backlash.

No one supports protecting serious criminals from rapid deportation. It’s a shame that ICE does not focus on that.

dvdjs . . .

. . . . Why is ICE not prioritizing apprehending people like this who pose the greatest threat.

Cathoholic . . .

Because leftist politicians hinder such apprehending by inventing “sanctuary cities” among other obstacles.

From the article . . . .

“We can’t ignore the fact that this could’ve been preventable,” he said, adding that California Senate Bill 54 – which became law last year – prohibited his department “from sharing any information with ICE about this criminal gang member.” . . .

. . . . “This is a criminal illegal alien with prior criminal activity that should have been reported to ICE,” Christianson said. “Law enforcement was prohibited because of sanctuary laws and that led to the encounter with Officer Singh. I’m suggesting that the outcome could have been different if law enforcement wasn’t restricted, prohibited or had their hands tied because of political interference.”

dvdjs reply?

Easy to say, but the actual evidence is at best unclear.

Well in THIS CASE at least, the “evidence” is crystal clear dvdjs.

“Law enforcement was prohibited because of sanctuary laws and that led to the encounter with Officer Singh. I’m suggesting that the outcome could have been different if law enforcement wasn’t restricted, prohibited or had their hands tied because of political interference.”

3 Likes

There is zero evidence presented that SB 54 prevented the deportation of Arriaga Virgen, or Quiroz.
There is abundant evidence that ICE is making numerous deportations in CA and is expending time and effort on cases that have no apparent impact o pubic safety.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.