Suspended Animation/Preservation- Licit or No?

I was given this article by an online friend who’s not religious, and she asked me my opinion. What are your thoughts on the morality of this type of experiment and/or treatment? newscientist.com/article/mg22129623.000-gunshot-victims-to-be-suspended-between-life-and-death.html?full=true#.U4TjupRdXB

On a first glance (and I mean GLANCE), I can see it being problematic if it’s done in an emergency situation, as the article says it must, without prior consent of the patient. Any other moral problems contrary to Catholic teaching that I’m missing?

Not a problem, IIUC, even if done in emergency without patient consent.

The body’s alive. Morally, this is no different from putting someone into an induced coma, except that not only the mind, but much of the metabolism is sent into abeyance so that repair or healing can occur.

This is not the first time something similar has been done. Back around the turn of the century, an NFL player suffered a badly broken neck; his body was cooled down to about 61[sup]0[/sup]F; and, IMS, three months later he walked out of the hospital.

What makes you think this is a moral issue?

ICXC NIKA.

There is nothing immoral about saving lives. The fact that brain death can be postponed temporarily at very low temperatures has been known for many years.

I don’t know; that’s why I asked. But thanks for your knowledge!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.