Suspension lengths

I’ve noticed with a few users, that there could be an error with their suspensions.

Typically, the suspension is for a week or so but I’ve seen where the year of the date was set to 3017. Though I find it kind of humorous that someone would be suspended for a 1000 years, I’m just wondering if this is a mistake by the moderators.

How do you even know someone is suspended? A suspension date ending in 3017 sounds more like a ban!

If you select their avatar, there is copy on the profile pop up that displays the reason and date until the suspension ends.

A ban is what I thought as well, but why not just write banned?

Likely technological limitations. I’ve moderated a forum before and that was a thing - the software didn’t have a separate “ban” feature, just a suspension.

That’s correct. Discourse has “blocked” and “suspended” users states. A blocked user can still login and interact in some ways, but cannot create new topics or replies. A suspended user cannot login at all. They can only browse the forums as an anonymous user.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.