Swearing???

Im sure this question has been asked before but is swearing a sin? Before i started going back to church i had a bit of a swearing problem to the point where i would the f-word as an adjective in most of my sentences. Ive been trying to cut it out and have made great strides but the other day me my priest and some other people were discussing it. My priest said as long as it doesnt cause scandal, doesnt take the Lord's name in vain, doesn't disrespect, and doesnt go against my parents (not swearing at them just swearing in their prescence when they don't want me to swear) thus breaking the fifth commandment, it is not a sin. Is this correct?

Depends on the context I think.

But either way we are to refrain from immodest language.

I saw this posted in another older thread from catechism:

As Christians, we must conform our words to the mind of Christ and follow His example (no. 1694). God's presence and His truth must be honored in all speech (no. 2153). He is "the Lord of all speech" (no. 2152), and human speech is either in accord with or in opposition to God who is Truth itself (no. 2151). Living in accordance with Truth includes displaying an uprightness and sincerity in speech (no. 2468). The purpose of speech is to communicate truth (no. 2485).

Conversely, abusive language is forbidden by the fifth commandment (no. 2073), and anyone who is angry with his brother is liable to judgment (no. 2302-2303). Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury (no. 2477).

Finally, cussing often includes taking God's name in vain, and this is certainly forbidden, as is language against the Church, the saints, and sacred things (no. 2148).

This is an edited post I made in another thread :

I've been thought that cursing is venial but I think it depends on the situation or the malice intended. It is an ugly thing you don't want innocence like children to repeat and a hard habit to break. I'd feel very guilty to find this habit causes others to do the same. I would confess it so to obtain the grace to keep from it.

Here are passages about the proper use of speech in the Bible, and there's a lot and that might tell you something. :

"The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

Saint Paul on the use of speech :
Ephesians 5:1-5 (Douay Rheims)

1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as most dear children;

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath delivered himself for us, an oblation and a sacrifice to God for an odour of sweetness.

3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not so much as be named among you, as becometh saints:

4 Or obscenity, or foolish talking, or scurrility, which is to no purpose; but rather giving of thanks.

5 For know you this and understand, that no fornicator, or unclean, or covetous person (which is a serving of idols), hath inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

and our Lord :

"Again you have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow.'

But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God's throne;

nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.

Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black.

Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,' and your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more is from the evil one.

Matthew 5:22
(KJV) But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Col 3:8
But now put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and foul talk with your mouth.

sirach 23:7-15

Instruction about the mouth

7 Listen, my children, to instruction about your mouth; whoever follows my instruction will

never succumb to it. 8 The lips of sinners will seize them and make abusers and the

arrogant stumble. 9 Don't let your mouth get used to making solemn pledges, and don't

get accustomed to saying the name of the holy one. 10 Just as a household slave who is

constantly examined won't be lacking bruises, so also the person who always swears and

speaks the Lord's name will never be cleansed from sin. 11 People who make many

solemn pledges will be full of lawlessness, and a scourge won't depart from their house. If

they break their solemn pledges, their sin is on them, and if they disregard it, they sin

doubly, and if they swear falsely, they won't be justified, but their houses will be full of

misery. 12 There is a way of speaking that's comparable to death; don't let it be found

among Jacob's descendants. All these things will stay far away from the godly, and they

will not wallow in their sins. 13 Don't grow accustomed to saying coarse things, because

to do so is to engage in sinful speech. 14 Remember your father and mother, because you

sit in the council among officials. This way, you won't forget yourself in front of them and

act foolishly out of habit— then you'd wish that you hadn't been born, and you'd curse the

day of your birth. 15 People who are accustomed to reproachful words will never learn

anything their whole life.

Jame 3:9

"With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings who are made in the likeness of God. 10. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. This need not be so, my brothers. 11. Does a spring gush forth from the same opening both pure and brackish water?"

Irish13, I certainly don't know more than a priest, so my aim is not disrespect for his guidance. It certainly isn't a mortal sin. (But a venial sin in my opinion.) But I would try with God's help not to use the "f" word. Think about for a moment what the word really means...it's a "vulgar" word for sexual intercourse. And what is sexual intercourse? It is something given to married couples to express their love and to produce children. So when you use the "f" word you're making something beautiful and lovely into something vulgar and crass. Is that what you really want to do? Do you think God is pleased by that?

nope. profaning God's name, blaspheming are sins though. saying **** and **** is just vulgar. "low" language.

[quote="Veronica97, post:4, topic:294424"]
I certainly don't know more than a priest, so my aim is not disrespect for his guidance. It certainly isn't a mortal sin. (But a venial sin in my opinion.) But I would try with God's help not to use the "f" word. Think about for a moment what the word really means...it's a "vulgar" word for sexual intercourse. And what is sexual intercourse? It is something given to married couples to express their love and to produce children. So when you use the "f" word you're making something beautiful and lovely into something vulgar and crass. Is that what you really want to do? Do you think God is pleased by that?

[/quote]

Wow that was very insightful we should all keep that in mind

Here is a saying of St. John Vianney:

"The man of impure speech is a person whose lips are but an opening and a supply pipe which hell uses to vomit its impurities upon the earth."

[quote="Dorothy, post:7, topic:294424"]
Here is a saying of St. John Vianney:

"The man of impure speech is a person whose lips are but an opening and a supply pipe which hell uses to vomit its impurities upon the earth."

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but this needs a picture. I've never seen that quote from him, and so I've changed my opinion.
http://www.stjohnvianneykamloops.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MS-John-Vianney3.jpeg

[quote="LoyalViews, post:8, topic:294424"]
I'm sorry, but this needs a picture. I've never seen that quote from him, and so I've changed my opinion.
http://www.stjohnvianneykamloops.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MS-John-Vianney3.jpeg

[/quote]

That is a beautiful stained glass window of St. John Vianney.

I found it here: morelove.in/index.php?id=88

Scroll down to "Purity of Speech"....it is the fourth quote.

If you are swearing to purposefully shock and offend others, I think it is a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.