Sweden Moves to Ban Homeschooling for Religious or Philosophical Reasons

[quote=Catholic.org]The final law will be presented to Parliament during the spring of 2010 and if passed, will take effect in 2011.

STOCKHOLM, (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Swedish Association for Home Education (ROHUS) is asking for support from the international community to stop an attempt by the Swedish government to outlaw homeschooling. The new legislation argues that because a child’s education should be “comprehensive and objective” it must be “designed so that all pupils can participate, regardless of what religious or philosophical” views of parents or children.
[/quote]

Continued here.

God Bless.

Chris.

Shocking, but not entirely surprising. Sweden is such a secular nation (up to 70% of the population is atheistic), it’s only natural such anti-religious behavior would occur.

I’ve noticed two interesting claims from many home schoolers.

1. The public schools are terrible and don’t teach the kids well.

2. The illiterate graduates of these terrible schools are qualified to teach their own kids.

The CIA Factbook says 87% are Lutheran.

cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sw.html

There’s a difference between being a member of a church and believing in God.

“As of 2007, 74.3% of the Swedes were members of the church, a drop of 1.3 % compared to 2006. Less than 4 percent of the Church of Sweden membership attends public worship during an average week; about 2 percent are regular attenders.[1]”

…The reason for the large number of inactive members is partly that until 1996, children became members automatically at birth if at least one of their parents were a member.

…According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005,[8]
23% of Swedish citizens responded that “they believe there is a God”.
53% answered that “they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force”.
23% answered that “they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, God, or life force”.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Sweden

The bottom line is they will not be free.

"Citing the European Convention on Human Rights, the law only allows parents to homeschool if “extraordinary circumstances” exist.

I would call this a law AGAINST human rights. Nothing out of Europe surprises me anymore.

Whose rights are being violated?

The only alternative, obviously, would be sending one’s kids to schools staffed entirely by homeschoolers or graduates of private schools.

More to the point, you miss the fundamental rejection by homeschoolers of the idea that you have to be highly “qualified” in order to teach your kids. The basic idea behind homeschooling in all its forms is that education is just part of what parents do. You don’t need to be qualified to be a parent. It’s a basic human activity. And teaching one’s kids some pretty basic stuff–like how to talk–is just part of the job of parenting. Of course some parents do it badly, but that’s part of the risk every child takes in being born into a species as messed up as ours. (Of course in cases of real child abuse someone needs to step in, but my point is that all parents goof up in lots of ways but few of us would say that that means that their children should be taken away.) Why should reading be any different than talking in this respect? And so on.

At some point you get to specialized subjects where you do need to bring in an expert. For some parents this will be sooner than for others.

If schools saw themselves as providers of such specialized knowledge at the discretion of children and their parents, most homeschoolers (except for the really ideological ones) would be happy to avail themselves of these services. What most homeschoolers object to is the claim that education as a holistic enterprise is something that should be handed over to the experts, rather than part of the basic job of parenting.

Edwin

This is what really has me worried about our own government. We know that they have thought about it and sure have proven that they are more then willing to do what ever they want, they will take my rights away to home educate my children.

Parents are being denied the ability to raise their children with the type of education they see fit. The state is forcing them to attend state run schools even if parents disagree.

Why are the Scandinavian countries so atheistic? Why is atheism/agnosticism so high there? It’s like that in no other place in the world

When parents are unqualified or omit certain subjects, kids are being denied the right to an education that will allow them to live comfortably in society. I give priority to the kid over the parent.

What!? You give priority to the kid over the parent?! I don’t understand, what makes YOU or anyone else for that matter think that I as a parent am unqualified?

No really please try to explain this to me, this has got to be good

On a side note:

Anyone can be a parent. There are no qualifications. It doesn’t require any talent. Just look around.

Parents can be qute good teachers.

They can also be illiterate, mathmatically illiterate, drunk, and doped up. They can be ignorant of history, geography, science, languages, art, and literature. That makes them unqualfied to teach kids in a complex society.

The kid has rights, and the parent has rights. When the parent is unqualified as a teacher, then the kid’s right to an education trumps a parent’s right to teach. The primary reason for education is to benefit the kid, not the parent.

And a word on the rights of kids vs parents. Doesn’t the pro-abortion crowd put the rights of the parent over the rights of the fetus? Is it reasonable to say either has general priority without examining the situation?

So a parent should ask permission from the very State they disagree with in educating their own children?

Should they get approval from the State for the childs name? Maybe the State disagrees with their faith and can coerce a more moderate faith.

A parent has the right to educate their child without having to prove any extraordinary cirumstances.

I don’t care about the parents. They can ask whomever they choose for whatever permission they like.

Kids have to be protected from illiterate parents who can’t teach them.

Home schoolers harp on how bad the schools are, then want any product or drop out of those schools to teach.

Every parent was once a child. What gives any government the right to remove children from their homes and place them in institutions several hours a day, five days a week for the majority of childhood??? Mandatory education laws institutionalizing people for 12 or more years of their life may seem “normal” to you, but that is not the way the children who were our ancestors learned for the majority of history.

I agree about history. For most of history they grubbed around looking for their next meal, Now, however, they don’t have to do that and have a wealth of opportunity. We have decided the kid has a legal right to an education that will allow him to prosper and thrive in that environment.

The rest of us owe that to the kid, regardless of the fact that he may have an illiterate zealot, drunk, doper, or rapist for a parent.

Mandatory education laws aren’t just about a “right” to an education–they are about forcibly removing children from their homes to allow someone besides the parents to educate (or indoctinate) children for the most of childhood.Mandatory education laws (and your posts) seem to assume that all parents would neglect their children’s education. What happened to “innocent until proven guilty”? If parents neglect or abuse their children, society may step in to protect the children. The majority of parents–especially homeschooling parents— care more about their individual children and their children’s education than any government or educational institution ever will.

By the way, not all children “prosper and thrive” in a school environment. Even this proposed Swedish law recognizes that fact as it allows homeschooling if “extraordinary circumstances” exist. For some children, “the right to an education” might be better achieved by protecting parental rights to homeschool.

Perhaps, ironically, because of the presence of state religion?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.