Sweden mulls 'sexist' video game labels

In a world first, Swedish gaming industry trade organisation Dataspelsbranchen is considering labeling video games made in the country as to whether or not they promote gender equality.

Asked if this would stifle creativity among developers, video game developer Anton Albiin said:

“Of course games can be about fantasy but they can be so much more than this. They can also be a form of cultural expression - reflecting society or the society we are hoping for. Games can help us to create more diverse workplaces and can even change the way we think about things”

Although gender equality is highly valued in Sweden, only 16% of people working in the gaming industry are women.

This does not necessarily have anything to do with equality. I mean, in some of the latest figures, less than 2% of kindergarten teachers were male. Nobody crying inequality. You don’t necessarily have to make the work force 50-50 in every waking industry to achieve “equality.” And believe me, no one wants to see lots of Male Couch Potato Fashion Models. The word equality is one of several in the 21st century that are abused and propagandized.

Maybe Sweden just has too much time on its hands. Or its bureaucrats have been spending too much time talking to U.S. bureaucrats.

Gaming is arguably my favorite hobby. I think it’s kinda cool when games have female player characters, and even more so when they aren’t hyper-sexualized. Many games have women in “armor” that is just a metal bikini or a skin-tight “stealth suit”. But games like Skyrim, Portal, and Alien Isolation depart from this (much to the chagrin of neckbearded thirtysomethings dwelling in their parents’ basement :D)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.