"Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation"?

In my Pieta prayer book, which I just love, there are these two prayers: “Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my love. Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation.” .

Shouldn’t “love” and “salvation” be reversed? I mean, I understand the teaching that Mary points us back to Jesus–still, it’s hard to understand why these prayers are worded the way they are.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

No, they shouldn’t be reversed and there’s a very good reason. You’re misinterpreting the words.

The sweet heart of Jesus, by Ephesians 5:25-27 is the CHURCH. So the prayer requests that our love be ever for Jesus’ church. The sweet heart of Mary lies in Jesus, her only Son Who died on the cross for the salvation of mankind.

I don’t know if I’m alone, but I feel like I’d need more explanation to be able to defend that prayer before non-Catholics. I can’t quite understand what Prometheus means, in full :slight_smile:

Jeremy

That’s exactly what I was thinking too, Jeremy. I love my Jesus and am growing in a greater love for my Blessed Mother–but I can see myself being confronted by someone about this (I’m the ONLY Catholic convert in my entire family).

Can someone shed some apologetic light on this?

God can use a person to be an instrument of salvation without infringing upon the unique salvific work of Christ. If I were to bring the gospel message of salvation to an unbeliever and that unbeliever subsequently converts, I can say that I saved that person. If I bring back someone that has strayed from the faith, I can, in a sense, say I saved that person:

James 5:19
19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Through her prayers, Mary can acquire those graces that can help us in our journey to our eternal home.

God Bless,
Michael

^Okay, that makes sense! But then, one wouldn’t say “Sweet heart of Michael (you), be my salvation”, would they?

Please be patient with me, I’m really not trying to be dense–only trying to more fully understand the Catholic faith that I love. :wink:

Maybe it’s not the best choice of words, but I think that - when porperly understood - the prayer is asking Mary to help us in our journey to our eternal home. In other words, help me obtain those graces necessary for my sanctification and the strength to endure trials and temptations. If a Protestant belongs to the OSAS crowd, they will not understand this. They see salvation as something accomplished once and for all.

God Bless,
Michael

If I was Catholic, I would have a hard time praying this prayer…

It seems that it is a little bit more than “pray for us”.

Immaculate Conception, Mary, my Mother.
Live in me. Act in me. Speak in and through me.
Think your thoughts in my mind. Love, through my heart.
Give me your dispositions and feelings.
Teach, lead and guide me to Jesus.
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior.
Possess my soul. Take over my entire personality and life.
Replace it with yourself.
Incline me to constant adoration and thanksgiving.
Pray in me and through me.
Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
– Pope John Paul II

Also…seeing Churches names Lady of Refuge, etc…when God is our refuge, I think this is dangerous.

Ps 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Linkowski,

Honestly, do you have any more authoritative source than yourself for that prayer you just posted? I only ask because there are no shortages of anti-catholic protestants with a vengeance who are not above lowering themselves to making things up for their point, and I fear you may have been decieved in this regard.

See, and I read prayers like this and get, I don’t know. . . a swell of Marian devotion go through me (I know, that sounds totally cheezeball, but I don’t know of a better way to describe it)! And I KNOW the devotion is pure, because I feel so close to Christ at the same time. :blushing:

It is a call to follow the example of Mary’s heart. We are to Love Jesus Christ, He is God. Our salvation would be assured if we loved Him with Mary’s heart. The second verse of the hymn “Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All” is:

Had I but Mary’s sinless heart,
To love thee with, my dearest King;
O! With what bursts of fervent praise,
Thy goodness, Jesus would I sing.

The “Totus Tuus” prayer of John Paul II goes further:

Totally yours,
Immaculate Conception, Mary my Mother,
Live in me, Act in me,
Speak in me and through me,
Think your thoughts in my mind,
Love through my heart,
Give me your dispositions and feelings,
Teach, lead me and guide me to Jesus,
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior,
Possess my soul,
Take over my entire personality and life, replace it with Yourself,
Incline me to constant adoration,
Pray in me and through me,

I feel that many non-catholic Christian faiths don’t have a firm understanding of who Jesus Christ is within the Trinity, so they replace Mary with Jesus in some ways. Such as the “What would Jesus do?” folks have. The question should be, “What would Jesus have me do?” Jesus is God, co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit, God’s Word Incarnate. We can follow Him, but we can not be Him. We can not think His thoughts, we can not do everything that Jesus can do.

John Chapter 1

[1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
[2] He was in the beginning with God;
[3] all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.

Mary was totally human, she was not divine. She is a model for us in a way that Christ can not be, because we can never be God. The best we can hope for is to follow Christ as perfectly as His mother Mary did. To follow willingly, adoringly, without question, wherever we are led (even if that place is somewhere we do not want to go, to see things we do not want to see), loving, constantly loving Him. If only we could adore Him as His mother did. During the Passion and death of our Lord, the apostles abandoned Him. Mary went to her son during this time, and followed Him unto the point of death. Mary was at the tomb when the resurrection was discovered. Mary followed Christ, and supported Him, all the days of His earthly incarnation. She is our example of how we should behave, what God wants us to do. God does not want us to be like Him, He wants us to be for Him, to love Him in everything, in our whole being. Our salvation is through the obedience and willingness of the heart of Mary to serve God (Jesus), without question, without even a moment’s hesitation. To posess and love the heart of Jesus, we must love Him with the heart of Mary. That is how the sweet heart of Mary is our salvation, that we love our Savior with the sweet heart of Mary.

I hope that made sense, and wasn’t just a bunch of rambling. I’m feeling a bit dizzy now…

Why do you say this? Is it because you disagree with this prayer?

– Pope John Paul II

I got this prayer from someone in a discussion on a thread here on the forum and thought I would share it.

Asking a saint or guardian angel to be with you always and guide you is pretty standard. Pope John Paul II is from a little further east, so he says it in a little more mystical way.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to pray it. This prayer isn’t part of the Creed Plate Club.

Re: Our Lady of Refuge vs. “God is my refuge”.

Um… she’s His mother. She owns everything He does.

For that matter, so do you. “Everything I have is yours.” Every faithful Christian is adopted co-heir to the Kingdom, right along with the Son. Every faithful Christian is part of His Body. You know this.

As a Christian, you also have to be a refuge to people in time of trouble (for all that you’re just a little mini-refuge). You know this.

So I don’t see why you think God would let Mary off the hook. Her arms aren’t broken or anything. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I didn’t even read it. I’ve been posting on Catholic forums for 5 years now, and, as I said, I’ve run into so many people who make things up for their own vindication that without a source posted to a quote I rarely give it credence to mind it at all.

Yikes, Mintaka, can you cock your flaming pistol AWAY from me, please? I was simply asking for clarification on something I read regarding the Catholicism I love. Geeze.

Hey there - I think she was responding to me :smiley:

God Bless You,

Craig L.

I think the Sweet Heart of Mary is our salvation by leading us to God and imparting through whatever means they use up there in heaven (I’m thinking it’s more than just prayers; angels don’t just pray, they’re powerful) the graces needed to die in the state of grace. The Sweet Heart of Mary was also involved in the redemption of mankind accomplished by Jesus and Mary beginning with the Immaculate Conception and Annunciation and Birth of Jesus, all the way to his death and resurrection. At least that’s what part of me wants to believe. I am struggling with the Catholic faith (not out of Protestant-minded objections but out of general evidentiary ones)

PS I think you can reverse “love” and “salvation” and still pray the prayer. I think it’s meant to be poetic; it’s not like it’s saying the heart of Jesus isn’t our salvation or that the heart of Mary isn’t our love :slight_smile:

I think that an excellent book to read for a Catholic to understand Marian devotion is “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort. I think he gives a very thorough explanation of how and why we need Our Lady on the path of salvation.

BeeSweet posts this prayer and it is legit.

Linkowski posts this same prayer and it is suspected to be an anti-Catholic plot.

Amazing.

Okay, gotcha, Linkowski. :wink: :smiley: I love reading all the replies–keep 'em coming! I should add, too, that perhaps part of my difficulty in understanding this is because of my previous protestant thinking. . . which I’m trying really hard to ignore. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.