Swimming pool - occasion of sin?

I'm taking my son swimming today with my wife. Is this a near occasion of sin? I read some people don't think it's prudent to frequent such places. It is a public swimming pool.

OK, I've never heard of this one. How is swimming a sin?

The only thing I could imagine is just don't lust after the women in bikinis.

Unless you’re hot for your son, I would say it’s no occasion of sin. :confused:

[quote="Apollos, post:3, topic:220986"]
Unless you're hot for your son, I would say it's no occasion of sin. :confused:

[/quote]

Whoa, I'm getting barred for that.

No.

Seriously? What’s your real question?

[quote="John_of_Woking, post:1, topic:220986"]
I'm taking my son swimming today with my wife. Is this a near occasion of sin? I read some people don't think it's prudent to frequent such places. It is a public swimming pool.

[/quote]

The improper clothes for both women and men is the issue in public swimming pools (specially in the secular countries), I think you should avoid such places (if possible) and try getting them to the beach instead.

And if that is hard because of the weather then let your children wear proper/modest swimming suits (like this one and this one) and** teach** them that's what blesses the LORD despite of "secular" people opinion.

:blessyou: for asking such question, that proves that your heart is pure.........

1 Like

[/quote]

It is, if it makes you into a near occasion of sin. I am wondering how that could happen in a swimming pool though. Is it because of the swimming attires that people use that show lots of flesh or what? I don't know, but for most of us when we go to the swimming pool it is for the intention to swim or learn how to swim. Sometimes we do not have time for what others are doing.

If swimming pool has that effect on you, I suggest you do not frequent it until it is rendered harmless by the changing of your mind to improve your self control.

God bless.

Thanks for most of the replies. I don’t feel self-control is an issue.However temptation may occur at the pool which I reject with a prayer. If I didn’t go to the pool the temptation (which I hate) would not occur. I would rather die than commit a sin and I take Holy Purity extremely seriously but I also don’t want to earn the wrath of my wife by not helping her teach my son to swim.

When my Father was a young man he studied for the priesthood. One day a few pretty girls walked by where he and some of the other brothers and a few of the priests were sitting. My Father noticed the Priest looking at the girls. He asked why. They explained that just because they can't does not mean they never think about it. They are still men and human.
My point is that one can be pious without becoming a lunatic. Occasionally I will notice some female then recognize that she is really much younger than I thought. And that it would not be appropriate to keep looking. I simply direct my attention elsewhere for a moment and that's the end of it.
As I am not 14, I do not instantly fantasize about fornication at the passing glance of some cleavage. Maybe the fact that you seem to try to surpress even the slightest stimulation makes it harder for you. It the old try not to think of a purple elephant problem. After hearing it you can't help but think of it
Just as those Prieste were able to take a passing glance at a pretty girl and then move on to other things, so can you. Non of them was going to violate their vows. And you are not going to become a sex fiend because some bikini clad cutie catches your attention for a moment

Let's remember that "Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure." CCC 2351

Lust is not passing admiration of beauty. It's one thing to think, "Gee, she's pretty." It's another to think, "Boy, I'd like to..."

Of course, you know what presents a problem for you more than I do. If you're particularly susceptible to lustful thoughts over women dressed for the pool, maybe you would be well advised either to avoid the pool or to address that lust in a way that allows you to teach your son how to swim.

[/quote]

Depends upon the type of pool people are referring to I think. Beaches here in America and pools where its more about sunning one's self would be more of an occasion for sin, IMO. But a pool at the local YMCA, at least around me, is very much all about learning the life saving skill of how to swim and cardio fitness. People dress for the sport at my YMCA, not for showing off one's body. Swimming is not only a life saving skill to learn, but a great source for fitness and health.

[quote="broconsul, post:10, topic:220986"]
Let's remember that "Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure." CCC 2351

Lust is not passing admiration of beauty. It's one thing to think, "Gee, she's pretty." It's another to think, "Boy, I'd like to..."

Of course, you know what presents a problem for you more than I do. If you're particularly susceptible to lustful thoughts over women dressed for the pool, maybe you would be well advised either to avoid the pool or to address that lust in a way that allows you to teach your son how to swim.

[/quote]

Yeah what this guy(?) said.
Ask i am going to the pool to ogle or to have fun? We can not lock ourselves in little boxes away from the world. We are to live in the world but not be of the world.

[quote="John_of_Woking, post:8, topic:220986"]
Thanks for most of the replies. I don't feel self-control is an issue.However temptation may occur at the pool which I reject with a prayer. If I didn't go to the pool the temptation (which I hate) would not occur. I would rather die than commit a sin and I take Holy Purity extremely seriously but I also don't want to earn the wrath of my wife by not helping her teach my son to swim.

[/quote]

Maybe you are not much different than most of us after all except that the degree of how this thing effect us do vary. You are just being honest about it and I think that's a good thing. I am glad for you in that you are prayerful in rejecting temptation.

God bless.

I'm a man in good physical condition and I was surprised this summer to visit the pool and find women checking me out. I was a little unsettled by that.

There are too many fat guys in America!

Nope, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going to the swimming pool, and absolutely nothing wrong with wearing swimming attire. I loved going to the pool when I was a little kid, and still do love it. I'm sure it'll be great for your son to spend some time outside in the sun and learn to swim. Have fun! :)

Hi Brethren,

I found the article below really enlightening with regards to dressing which may or may not affect your view about wearing swimming costumes and going to public pools. Just thought to share it with you.

:slight_smile: God bless all!

Father Bruno Pelegia, S.T.D., Catholic Priest, Theologian & Doctor of Sacred Theology, Answers 12 Objections against the Absolute Necessity of Modesty in Dress for Women

You might say, What evil is there in the way I dress?
You must suspect that exposing a woman’s body (or man’s body)as you do, can be terribly provocative.

You might say, Those who see me this way are not forced to sin!

Yes we admit that. But should we not wish to reduce the offenses our Divine Lord receives when we can? Woe to us if we are indifferent about this! Woe to us if, from this indifference, our conduct coaxes others into sin! We know that some good men will so successfully resist any woman’s provocativeness that they will not sin in the least, but will gain merit. However, some others, being weak, will consent to what is forbidden; and according to the Scriptures, you will share in their sin for unnecessarily giving them a lure to it. (Matt. 18:7)

You might say, All the other girls dress this way!

We admit the sad fact that many are that thoughtless. But even if all were so thoughtless, you should not follow such an example. You consider yourself capable of making wise decisions of your own in personal matters. Seeing that you have the freedom, the privilege, and the duty to pursue virtue and heaven, would you unthinkingly follow the herd like cattle do? “Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction: and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that fififind it!” (Matt. 7:13-14). Let a sense of responsibility and uprightness distinguish you from the herd.

You might say, I do not mean to do evil.

I can believe that. But the mischief you are doing by dressing without due care of the consequences is an evil you will be responsible for.

You might say: But what is important is the heart!

But, Faith … if it have not works, is dead in itself. (James 2:17) It is our bodies, regenerated at Holy Baptism, which become temples of the living God, living tabernacles of the Most Holy Eucharist. The dignity of your Christian body demands adequate clothing.

“Now you are the body of Christ, and members of member.” (1 Cor. 12: 27) “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifififice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service.” (Rom. 12:1)

You might say, I feel I should be in style and up-to-date.

I would answer there are good women and girls who, using a bit of resourcefulness, manage to dress with a modest attractiveness and charm. But beware of a style which, luring men toward corrupt morals, serves only vanity and the devil; for it is a tragic deception. No matter how styles change and popular tastes change, the moral law does not change.

You might say, Often it is hard to judge if a dress is modest or not.

Reflflflect: If you suspect that a dish of food is poisoned, you do not serve it to anyone, for fear of doing harm. Even more so, should you not wisely play safe when you have any prudent suspicion that your manner of dress will be a source of harm? Does not an upright conscience look upon sin as the greatest of harms?

You might say, I refuse to be a bigot and a hypocrite!

But how can it be wrong to act upon an upright conscience, which tells you that an offense against the all-holy God is truly the greatest of evils? A bigot and a hypocrite is one who pretends to hate sin and love God when he does not really care about these things. But I ask you to care, and how is that wrong? Uprightness, which at times requires sweat and tears and courage, is never the same as bigotry and hypocrisy. And the Saints who fought valiantly against immodesty, were they bigots or hypocrites?

You might say, Men want me this way.

That may be true of men who prefer a bit of pleasure to God’s friendship; but it is not true of men who live by a right conscience. Furthermore, it is to God that you must one day render an account, not to men.

You might say, Beauty is supposed to be seen.

I could reply that “When bodily beauty is shown off a great deal, it loses its loveliness.” But there is a physical beauty that cannot be displayed without becoming a lure to tempt men to forbidden satisfactions. On the other hand, if you thought that there was beauty in displaying your legs, why is there not beauty in showing Christian modesty and a concern for the good of souls?

You might say, But I feel hot!

You know how to put up with the heat when you want to. Surely a good conscience is worth suffering a bit of heat for. Many good souls bear the heat willingly in order to offer it as a penance to God. But—sad to say—some women in hot weather go scantily clad to Mass and other church gatherings who dress modestly when they must work in an offififice where they receive all kinds of clients, or when they must teach school, or when they must work as salesclerks where they have to satisfy all kinds of customers.

You might say, but I have free will and can make free decisions!

But you certainly don’t want to go to hell and you don’t need to be a convicted murderer to go there—it takes much less than that—sinning mortally against any Commandment will do it! And I have the strongest objections to seeing you go there! I will go there myself if I do not try to keep you from going there.

Continued…

If you want to be Christian in fact and not just in name—if you want to help and not hinder the work of grace to reform consciences— if you do not want to feel remorse tomorrow and bear a weight of guilt—then put forth the effort to dress with Mary-like modesty,

… so that you may prove yourself a Christian woman and not a mere man-trap;… so that you uplift and inspire chaste love, and not enkindle forbidden pleasure.

Mother Teresa, a model of modesty and womanhood shows by her life that ‘a virtuous life is the best adornment for women’ (1 Tim. 2:10).

Now may your informed conscience guide you and let nothing cheat you out of your call to Holiness, Purity and your Eternal Salvation!

Let us conclude by stating:

Women by dressing with modesty will gain the respect of men, becoming dignififified instead of being degraded and considered a mere object of lust. Instead of dressing in a manner which is disrespectful, they should dress in accord with a higher standard. They should dress with this higher standard to receive the respect they deserve.

God commands us to practice Charity, which is primarily a mandate to obey Him. And Charity is defififined as the love of God. What did Jesus say about this love?

… you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. (Mark 12:30)

fatima.org/essentials/requests/mid.pdf

You might also say that this is a two year old thread.

And if you want to talk about beach wear, you should start a new thread.

Thanks for notifying me, Maryjk! :slight_smile: God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.