Swimming the Bosphorus

I laughed after all of the information I have seen here about swimming the Tiber. I was reading a book review and saw the phrase (many of you may have seen it before), “Swimming the Bosphorus” to describe conversion to the Orthodox Church.

Has anyone here swam the English Channel (conversion to the venerable bastion of faith and good taste…the Church of England). :wink:

Rev North

You have an odd description of your religion non Roman Catholic. Does that mean you are protestant or just anything but Roman Catholic?

I am sorry but I do not get the context? Are your referring to previous posts?

Rev North

I see. It hit me that it must refer to my profile. I am in a liturgical denomination but not RCC. It is Anglican but not ECUSA.

I have a great deal of fondness and respect for the RCC, its history and tradtions. Not quite as much for some of the modern tendencies I have seen where there seems to be less respect for tradition. I have been to too many Catholic services where the Priest made zip effort at sermon preparation and 1/2 the people showed up after Mass had begun.

This is one reason why I love Mother Angelica and what she has done and is doing. It is great to see young people enthusiastic about the church and tradition (what they are calling the JP II generation). God bless her work of evangelism for traditional Catholic ethics, morality, and spirituality. There are exciting Catholic patishes where they are doing Bible study and are loyal to their faith and enthusiastic about Christ.

Rev North

Oh no, sorry from your profile. Never seen it put that way before.

I figured it out and answered directly above your post. My 40 year old brain is working slow in the heat :smiley:

{either that or it is the nice glass of Burgundy I am enjoying with my salad}

North

Luckily, my pastor, the assistant priest and the retired priest in residence all give great sermons. I have a feeling that the retired priest is teaching the other two, because the retired priest knows the Bible so well. He always mentions how the readings of any given week fit in with the readings from the past and following weeks, and he can quote verses off the top of his head.:thumbsup:

This is one reason why I love Mother Angelica and what she has done and is doing. It is great to see young people enthusiastic about the church and tradition (what they are calling the JP II generation). God bless her work of evangelism for traditional Catholic ethics, morality, and spirituality. There are exciting Catholic patishes where they are doing Bible study and are loyal to their faith and enthusiastic about Christ.

Rev North

I have been participating in a Bible study at my parish for almost 7 years now. I also read the Bible on my own every day. I like to read it all the way through at least once every year. I own 12 different translations of the Bible and choose a different translation to read all the way through each time. My favourite translation is the RSV.

“modern tendencies”?

You must be joking?

Are you a woman or a man by the way? Just asking. One needs to today.

Are you addressing me or the OP?

The dear Reverend.
See post number 4.

Ok. That makes more sense to me. :slight_smile:

I just checked…survey says…I am a man:thumbsup:

Rev North

:thumbsup:

Can a woman claim title to your title as Rev, in your faith?

Yes…she can be a Rev., A Rev Mother., and a Rt. Reverend. Your question was not unreasonable.

Rev North

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.