SWITCH-A-ROO

Something happened on the altar recently that just did not seem right. As I have said before, I am an EMHC at a church that is desperately trying to conform (but admittedly has a ways to go).

Sunday, after communicating himself and the others on the altar, the priest began distributing the cups and patens for the distributing of communion. He erred and gave a “cup person” a paten and when the priest moved on, the two EMHC’s switched species.
This did not feel right to me. everyone is trained for both species I feel the two should have taken their positions and distributed communion. To me, there does not seem to be much difference between what the EMHC did and self communicating.

Am I overreacting?

yup.

I am worried about something happening in the exchange.

Yes, I believe you are overreacting. Both EMHCs are commissioned to hold and distribute the Precious Body and Blood. They are not re-commissioned or limited simply because the priest gives one the Cup and not the other. I do agree with Just4Him that there is a danger of spilling the Blood, but I think there is just as much danger when anyone receives the Cup. As long as one is reverent and extremely carefuly it’s not a problem.

May God bless you for your service to his Church. There was no harm done. At our very large Masses with several EMs we use to have one person watching to make sure that each EM got the correct species and position. Now that person has moved. If there is a deacon present, it is his responsibility to see to this. Your parish is lucky to have you.

Deacon Tony SFO

[quote=just 4 him] Am I overreacting?
[/quote]

Nope, not in the least – and probably not for the reason you think.

Anyone who accepts the responsibility of that ministry should not practice it until they are absolutely profficient at every aspect of the ministry. They should be able to handle anything that comes their way.

Some suggest one must be an EMHC for a while to learn “on the job” as it were, and that’s simply wrong – although not uncommon, particularly at my parish.

Other groups of EMsHC (they are typically grouped by Mass time) at my parish spend a great deal of effort in studying the history of the ministry, and drilling on the different aspects of praciticing the ministry. They are a far more organized and profficient bunch and they effort shows – in glory to God.

So either make the effort to be a journeyman EMHC from the very first time you practice the ministry, or find someone to fill your position who is willing to make the commitment.

[quote=just 4 him]Something happened on the altar recently that just did not seem right. As I have said before, I am an EMHC at a church that is desperately trying to conform (but admittedly has a ways to go).

Sunday, after communicating himself and the others on the altar, the priest began distributing the cups and patens for the distributing of communion. He erred and gave a “cup person” a paten and when the priest moved on, the two EMHC’s switched species.
This did not feel right to me. everyone is trained for both species I feel the two should have taken their positions and distributed communion. To me, there does not seem to be much difference between what the EMHC did and self communicating.

Am I overreacting?
[/quote]

I think you are overreacting No offence. I mean if they are supposed to serve the cup then they have to serve the cup.
Podo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.