Switch to catholic?

I’m from a non denominational church and am wondering what Catholicism says about that, and if there is any reason to switch

I do not know the tenets of their faith but non denominational churches are less than 100 years old. The Catholic Church is 2000 years old and can trace back to the Apostles.

Nondenominational could mean literally a thousand (or more) different things. Can you tell us more or ask more specific questions?

For what it’s worth, I used to be “nondenominational” myself.

I’m a convert from the non-denominational Church of Christ. With the exception of rare cases, I’m sure the Catholic Church would affirm that you are a bother/sister in Christ. A reason to switch: the fullness of faith found only in the institution founded by Jesus Christ, the holy Catholic Church.

Non denominational basically means non affiliated Bible only Protestantism.

I agree, humble

Yes. Of course you should switch. The Church thinks you should switch. I love when questions are so simple! This thread should be short and unanimous.

Switch to Catholic what?? I recently switched to a Catholic beer, from Guinness to La Trappe.

On your profile it states you are Catholic. Are a Catholic who attends the non-dom church and wondering if you should come back to the Catholic faith? Can you clarify?

I grew up in a Baptist church and accidentally found the Catholic Church some 6+ years ago. Immediately, my intrigue was great and my desire to learn more was insatiable. After a few months, I contacted the man, in charge of adult education, at my now Church and asked to meet.

Todd answered many questions that day and my excitement was great, as was his. Before I left that day, he put a book in my hands that I took home and devoured. It was the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second edition.

Tonight, I would like to put that book in your hands. If you live in the area of the ATL, I will personally deliver it to you tomorrow. Failing that, here is a link to find it online.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

It was an overwhelming read for me and it just touched my soul. May the spirit touch you while you read it.

Um…this is a Catholic website. 99.997% of replies are going to be for you to convert.

It’s also kind of obvious. Like, of course the posters on a Catholic forum are going to overwhelmingly say yes, become Catholic.

Yeah, about the only religious group I can think of where you wouldn’t get such a response if they ran a forum would be Jews. Possibly also Quakers, but for different reasons.

There are plenty of great reasons to convert but,
the biggest reason you should convert is to receive the Sacraments and the graces they can confer.
There is no need to re-baptize, as long as you were baptized within what the church recognizes as fellow Christian faith.
But the really heavy-weight Sacraments that Protestants don’t even have are Reconciliation and Eucharistic Communion.
This is like the Jab and Uppercut Knock-out of accepting Jesus into your heart as your personal Lord and savior.
So yes, come home, to the true Church!

I don’t mean to be argumentative, but the Lutheran Church does offer confession and absolution. And while Catholics don’t consider a Lutheran Eucharist valid (because of lack of AS), the Lutheran Church does believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. We just don’t call it Transubstantiation; we refer to it as “Sacramental Union.”

Lutheran Church belief on Real Presence is different. Catholics believe bread really becomes Christ’s body or rather Christ’s body becomes bread, while Lutherans believe that Christ becomes present spiritually. What Catholic Church differentiates is Christ’s presence as God everywhere, his presence in our loved ones and in Holy Bible from Christ’s presence in Eucharist. I believe Lutherans believe him to be spiritually present akin to being present in Holy Bible, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Lutherans believe that Christ’s Body is truly present and His Blood truly present in the elements. We don’t hold to the belief that the elements cease to be bread and wine. We take Christ at his word when he says “this is my body.”

From 1 Corinthians: “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.”

Also from 1 Corinthians: The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

Paul doesn’t mention that the bread ceases to be bread. Therefore, we let it remain a mystery as to how Christ comes into the bread and wine, but we do believe His Body and Blood are present.

I personally believe a switch to Catholicism can help anyone. I highly recommend it!

All Christian chuches originated with the Roman Catholic Church.
We were the first and we remain the best.
Come on over, we would love to have you as a Catholic.
Come to Mass. Pray to God.
Hopefully, you will want to do RCIA and become a Catholic.
I will pray for you. :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.