Switching From Permanent Deacon to Priest?

I’m currently discerning a vocation to the Priesthood and I was wondering, if were to choose to become an UN-MARRIED permanent deacon, could I switch to the Priesthood.

Yes, but only in very rare and and grave reasons. It’s called the permanent diaconate for a reason. Why not simply go to seminary to become a priest and see if it is what you’re called to. Just because you’re ordained a transitional deacon doesn’t mean you have to become a priest. It’s the norm, but it doesn’t always happen.

Interesting point, DG. If someone is ordained as a transitional deacon, and then decides that priesthood isn’t for him, does he just become a permanent deacon by default? Or is there any informal ceremony to make him permanent (not an ordination, obviously)?

[quote="surritter, post:3, topic:291700"]
Interesting point, DG. If someone is ordained as a transitional deacon, and then decides that priesthood isn't for him, does he just become a permanent deacon by default? Or is there any informal ceremony to make him permanent (not an ordination, obviously)?

[/quote]

I was reading the code of cannon law on the Vatican website this morning.
The simple answer to this question is: "Yes!"

A Transitional Deacon has been Ordained. That ordination is not transitional, the "Transitional" nature is simply an assumption that the ordination will be upgraded in the future. - However once a deacon always a deacon.

in being ordained you take a vow of permanent celibacy (unless already married).

If already married you commit to never re-marrying if your spouse dies (there are extremely restrictive exceptions to this, which are reserved to the Holy See for dispensation: requiring thay the deacon has young children who still need maternal care and his ministry would be improved by re-marriage and his bishop will testify to both facts and approve the application for dispensation.
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/vocations/diaconate/upload/ARINZE_1.pdf

You cant stay a deacon in the hope you could later get married.

For a single person the difference between the call to Priest and Deacon comes down to the type of minsitry you feel you are being called to:
The Priest is responsible for administering the sacraments, and is responsible for a lot of parish or other administration in relation to his ministry.
The deacon is responsible for Teaching and Preaching, including preparing people for Baptism and Marriage,
"Being Christ" to people in a very human way in terms of inter-personal ministry
He has a particular call to charitable works in his ministry (the first deacons (In Acts) were responsible for ensuring the Widows received their fare share of the common food and other common goods.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.