Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city

Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city

ARJUN RAMACHANDRAN
September 23, 2009 - 1:30PM

Sydneysiders have woken to a red haze unlike anything seen before by residents or weather experts, as the sun struggles to pierce a thick blanket of dust cloaking the city this morning.

Callers flooded talkback radio, others hit social networking sites and scores of emails were received from smh.com.au readers as Sydney residents expressed their amazement at this morning’s conditions.

“It’s just red, red, red as far as you can see,” one caller at the Anzac Bridge told 2GB.

The fiery haze was the result of the sun hitting the blanket of dust, Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Jane Golding said.

“The reason for the dust is we had some really strong winds in the inland areas of NSW and in South Australia for a sustained period yesterday,” she said.

“That’s lifted a whole lot of dust off the ground because it’s quite dry out there, many of those areas are still drought affected.”

LINK: smh.com.au/environment/sydney-turns-red-dust-storm-blankets-city-20090923-g0so.html

As a Sydneysider, it was certainly a spooky thing to see and be out and about in.

I was able to walk to work (albeit a short walk) through the haze with no problems, though. And after a few hours it cleared up.

I took some pictures, if they turn out I’ll post 'em for y’all.

Well, what matters most is everyone’s health. I could only imagine the health concerns this would have caused for those with respiratory problems if it had continued… I am happy to see that it has cleared up and that all is returning to normal. Thank God.

God bless you and all Sydneysider’s. :blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.