Syllabus of Errors

“human reason… is the sole arbiter of truth and falsehood, and of good and evil” (No. 3) “…hence reason is the ultimate standard by which man can and ought to arrive at the knowledge of all truths of every kind.” (No. 4)

Isn’t the Pope divinely inspired?

“in the present day it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship.” (No. 77)

Is this Catholic?

“Protestantism is nothing more than another form of the same true Christian religion, in which form it is given to please God equally as in the Catholic Church” (No. 18).

So protestants can go to heaven too?

“the Church ought to be separated from the State, and the State from the Church.” (No. 55)

So no Catholic theocracy?

“every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true.” (No. 15) and that “it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship.” (No. 78)

Same as above

“the Roman Pontiff can, and ought to, reconcile himself, and come to terms with, progress, liberalism and modern civilization.” (No. 80)

Doesn’t this contradict the Church’s teachings of tradition. Contraception is progress, so why not accept it.

If I interpreted anything wrong, please explain it to me.

I hope this is all false.:crossrc: :highprayer: :knight2:

Fear not. The Syllabus of Errors is, as its title suggests, a list of ERRONEOUS beliefs. (It is in fact a ‘Syllabus of Errors CONDEMNED by Pius IX’)

In other words it is WRONG for a Catholic to hold that reason is paramount, that Church and state should be separate, and every other belief listed in the Syllabus :yup:

All of the things listed in Syllabus Errorum are errors which are being condemned as errors, that is why they are called errors.
I think it refers to many of the errors we see in our day.

The Syllabus of Errors is also a … syllabus. Each of the errors listed in the syllabus is discussed at length in other documents. The syllabus is a summary stripped of context, background, reasoning and explainations. It is easily abused, misused and misunderstood. Hense, it is a favorite tool of those who like to attack the Church.

LOL, so true.

You want to hear the one that takes the cake?
A few years ago online I was talking with a Lutheran who was wanting to attack the Papacy on the grounds there were immoral and even heretical popes and said one of the Popes said “the story of Jesus was a myth”…I never heard something more absurd in my life, I asked for proof and that was the last I saw of him. Anyway, low and behold, I was reading the Syllabus of Errors a few months later and I laughed when I looked at line 7:
7. The prophecies and miracles set forth and recorded in the Sacred Scriptures are the fiction of poets, and the mysteries of the Christian faith the result of philosophical investigations. In the books of the Old and the New Testament there are contained mythical inventions, **and Jesus Christ is Himself a myth.
**:)…if only that Lutheran knew a Pope really DID say that, it just wasnt what it looked like.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.