Sylvia Browne and the Catholic Church

I would like to know what the church thinks about her? She talks about people having spirit guides and about reincartion. She also talks about Jesus and God. She seams harmless and helpful to others. We have mystics in the Church who have seen the past and the future. What about you all? What do you think?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Also:

1013 Death is the end of man’s earthly pilgrimage, of the time of grace and mercy which God offers him so as to work out his earthly life in keeping with the divine plan, and to decide his ultimate destiny. When “the single course of our earthly life” is completed, we shall not return to other earthly lives: "It is appointed for men to die once."There is no “reincarnation” after death.

Sylvia Browne is not Catholic and what she does is antithetical to Catholic teaching.

You should do a search on the forums. I remember there being talk about her before.

Sylvia Browne is a fake. She predicted that that kid who was kidnapped and found alive was dead.

Sylvia Browne is a Gnostic. She embraces the gnostic gospels including the ‘Gospel according to Mary Magdalene’. She walks on thin ice and welcomes others to join her. Provided, they buy her books and pay enormous amounts of money for a few minutes of her time.

A quick google and you will find that she has been in the spotlight of controversy often and has publicly been caught numerous times with erroneous ‘predictions’. She claimed that the Sago miners were all alive and alas only one man survived. As mentioned, she claimed another person dead who was later found alive. She also told parents that their missing daughter had been shot and it was later found that she died of natural causes. Not to mention that her court indictment transcripts are available online for criminal charges.

Check out a portion of this transcript from a Montel Williams show:

Woman: I lost my boyfriend a few years ago. They never found him, and I’ve been having a really hard time. (she chokes back tears)

Sylvia: Well the reason they never found him is because he’s in water. And when someone’s in water it’s very hard to find them.

Woman: Well, he died on September 11th. He was a firefighter in the Trade Center. They never found a piece of him.

(pause)

Sylvia: Are you sure he couldn’t have been in water?

Woman: No

Sylvia: Well, he’s telling me that his lungs are filled, that he can’t breathe. Maybe I’m seeing water because they were trying to put out the fire.

In short, by inviting materials from Sylvia Browne into your household, you are welcoming sin by the boatload.

Just my two cents.

Hmm…good to know! Sounds like syncretism to me…:wink:
Something told me to avoid her books, and I’m glad I listened! No wonder it’s shelved next to pagan and Wiccan books at the library :stuck_out_tongue: ! Did you know that Mormon books come after Muslim books, instead of being with all the other Christian books? And among the Christian books, I found Catholic resources at the beginning AND the end of the Christain section! Dewey really knew what he was doing :smiley:

----> Just a library nerd :slight_smile:

The fact that she talks about “spirit guides” and reincarnation should say enough to you. Perhaps she can fool some very naive people by mentioning Jesus and God, sort of “mixing” up good with the evil.

Catholics should not be purchasing her books are watching her on TV.

I used to work at a bookstore and she’s shelved in the New Age section. She’s really popular with the wicca-wannabes.

(I tell you, when I had to shelve in that section, I wore my St. Benedict medal and prayed constantly. There was some weird stuff there!)

What is so sad is that Catholics fall for this stuff and do not discern the danger in it.

youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=dkbkkkT6ejA&eurl=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fq%3DSylvia%2BBrowne%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial%2&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/dkbkkkT6ejA/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskIXsc0W-fUUIBxDt3CekHdw

randi.org/sylvia/index.shtml

she completely missed the miner story too…
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180681,00.html

stopsylviabrowne.com/home/

Montel and Oprah have had mediums on their shows before, and then you get yahoos like John Edward with their owns shows as well…

I’ve noticed that when a bereaved person asks a medium to contact a loved one the medium 99% of the time tells the bereaved that the loved one is fine, safe, happy, and to move on with their lives. To me, that sounds like to devil talking. Because what if that person is in purgatory and desperately needs prayers?

Didn’t Sylvia predict there would be three popes at one time elected in 2003?

Didn’t happen.

She’s made a ton of wrong predictions, as mendtioned above.
And as mentioned above- she considers herself a GNostic Christian- Gnosticism is a heresy back from the 1st century. I believe the “spirits” she is working with are not from God.
I know that sounds harsh- but as was posted above- the Church clearly teaches that there is first death- and then the Judgement- Heaven or Hell. There is no reincarnation.

I can’t remember the book or the author, but this woman wrote about how in her “former life”–in medieval times–Garth Brooks was her lover… I think she was a few fries short of a Happy Meal, but she REALLY believed this! Anyway, I can’t remember if she was Catholic, but she did say she was Christian, but that she believed in reincarnation because there was NO WAY that all the souls of the people who have died throughout the centuries could fit into Heaven.

A lot of people buy this theory, too, people who call themselves Christians, but apparently think there are limits to God’s power. I think it’s very sad.

Randi almost makes a full time occupation debunking this woman. Atheists dont care for her either.

Buwahahahahhah! whew… I needed a laugh.

On a serious not at all funny note I have to mention that in one or both of her books about her version of God she claims that among the plethora of religions she joined that she was baptised Catholic. In explaining how she was protected by the RCC as a mystical person she claims she was told by a Jesuit that she was a a prophet and as a teacher at a Catholic school introduced her students to wicca and such.

:mad:

Promoting a theology of reincarnation and spirit guides isn’t harmless. We only get one chance on Earth to get things right, and reincarnation implies 2nd, 3rd, 4th, nth chances.

Also, “Spirit guides” are a common new agey term for a “channeled spirit/ghost” that you “summon” in dreams or to appear in dreams, or something like that (I’ve read a few things like that back in the 90s). It’s a little bit more than just your average Gaurdian Angel. There’s Hindu and Buddhist philosophies in it, as well, and perhaps Native American and Wiccan in some cases. (Think “spirit quests” as in trying to contact a spirit on the other side) The problem is that we don’t know what’s on the other side. We don’t have the proper senses to tell if the spirit is good or evil (most likely, the later). In fact, Sylvia Browne even has a book about “Contacting Your Spirit Guide”. A dead-center new-agey giveaway.

I also heard her once say that the next pope, after JPII, would be of african-americn descent.

When I was watching sylvia browne on montel, a few years ago when i was living in the rv, I had the scariest experience. I always watched her afterschool and started to believe everything she said. I started to doubt God’s existence, and was happy to look forward to “my next life”, which I know now is not true. Well one day as I was watching sylvia on the rv’s couch, and all of a sudden someting grabbed my behind. :confused: After that I opened the door and practicly flew 10 ft away from the rv. :eek: I was extremely scared and didn’t go back inside until my mom and brother came back, which was some long 3 hours later. :o I know there was nobody there, but what was it?:confused::confused:

Ever since that day I stooped watching that show, took God seriously and not doubt him.:thumbsup:

I pray for sylvia so she can change her life on day;)

I also pray for those behind grabbing demons:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.