Sylvia Browne

Sylvia Browne’s beliefs scare me. Several of my close friends are beginning to believe the things she says. How does the Catholic church look at someone like her? Do we believe her “gift” is from Satan? Is there any truth in her gnostic words or her spiritual readings and visions?

[quote=SamG]Sylvia Browne’s beliefs scare me. Several of my close friends are beginning to believe the things she says. How does the Catholic church look at someone like her? Do we believe her “gift” is from Satan? Is there any truth in her gnostic words or her spiritual readings and visions?
[/quote]

I don’t know if I would go so far as saying that she is a tool of satan. But the word “deception” does come to mind.

I believe that James Randi has a thing or two to say about her in “The Faith Healers.”

I don’t believe she is evil just misguided! I think people like that have a desire to help and get themselves into places we are NOT supposed to go. Eventually you lose your sense of right and wrong. Satan can then use phony gifts to deceive. Now the phone pychics, thats just fraud!

Who is Sylvia Browne?

[quote=Elzee]Who is Sylvia Browne?
[/quote]

She is a “world reknowned psychic”. You can watch her just about every Wednesday on Montel.

[quote=axolotl]She is a “world reknowned psychic”. You can watch her just about every Wednesday on Montel.
[/quote]

“World renowned”?? I’ve never heard of her. Is she American? What is Montel?

[quote=SamG] Sylvia Browne’s beliefs scare me. Several of my close friends are beginning to believe the things she says.
[/quote]

Get them some good books that debunk New Age philosophies. Catholic Answers, Ignatius Press, etc, have some.

[quote=SamG] How does the Catholic church look at someone like her?
[/quote]

The Bible and The Catechism tell us that divining spirits, conjuring, etc, are all against God’s commandments.

[quote=SamG] Do we believe her “gift” is from Satan?
[/quote]

What we do know is that they are not from God. They may be fake. They may be occult. They are not from God.

[quote=SamG] Is there any truth in her gnostic words or her spiritual readings and visions?
[/quote]

No.

[quote=thistle]“World renowned”?? I’ve never heard of her. Is she American? What is Montel?
[/quote]

She’s written a bunch of books and can be seen on various talk shows. She has a website, sylvia.org so you can go see for yourself.

Montel is a talk show (using that term loosely), it’s really more of a circus with various low-class subjects such as “who is your baby’s daddy”… “Nazi skin heads…” and other such low-brow “entertainment”.

[quote=1ke]She’s written a bunch of books and can be seen on various talk shows. She has a website, sylvia.org so you can go see for yourself.

Montel is a talk show (using that term loosely), it’s really more of a circus with various low-class subjects such as “who is your baby’s daddy”… “Nazi skin heads…” and other such low-brow “entertainment”.
[/quote]

No. No. No. Maury does “who’s your baby daddy”. It’s baby daddy, not baby’s daddy.:slight_smile: I don’t really watch these shows, sometimes I pause while I’m flipping.

[quote=thistle]“World renowned”?? I’ve never heard of her. Is she American? What is Montel?
[/quote]

montelshow.com/

If you scroll down, there’s also a picture of Sylvia.

[quote=axolotl]montelshow.com/

If you scroll down, there’s also a picture of Sylvia.
[/quote]

She looks like a man in a blond wig!!

This quote from her website is all you really need to know.

“Sylvia is truly on a mission for God. Simply put, she is determined to show the world that the soul survives death. In addition she wants to emphasize that God, both Father and Mother God, are infinitely loving Beings…”

Run for the hills!!! :eek:

There is alot more than that, but on her website, she plainly shows who she really is. She not only has her own church that worships more than one god(god the father and god the mother), but she works with the Masonic Temple, which is a church that supposedly worships Satan. I cannot believe how easily she can misguide weak christians into believing her! She is blatant to how anti-christian she is.

…the Masonic Temple, which is a church that supposedly worships Satan.

It really does not support your own credibility to deny another’s credibility when spreading such equally deceptive and incorrect information yourself.

Given her own relativistic beliefs, it would not suprise me that she would give some form of moral support to the Masonic society, despite the fact that she could never be one herself. Regardless, any such kudos that she may have incidentally given to the freemasons, it does not mean the two entities are in any way connected, or that Masons espouse her beliefs.

To demonize either party through making this association is as valid an argument as trying to vindicate or prove the Masons’ good moral fiber by pointing out the fact that they were persecuted under Hitler.

Either way, the issue of Browne’s non-christian teachings are in no way related to the Church’s stated issues of difference with the Masonic societies.

At any rate, yes, her teachings could not be accepted by the Church. Compare her stuff with the Opus Sanctorum Angelorum (the closest Catholic organization I have found which deals with issues of Angelic relations) and you will quickly see a difference in the “orthodox” approach to such matters (just in case any of you have fallen into the many subtle traps one can find in her “pitch” as to why her veiws are not incompatible to Christianity). Her teachings are, as another already pointed out, clearly condemned in the CCC.

[quote=alius123]There is alot more than that, but on her website, she plainly shows who she really is. She not only has her own church that worships more than one god(god the father and god the mother), but she works with the Masonic Temple, which is a church that supposedly worships Satan. I cannot believe how easily she can misguide weak christians into believing her! She is blatant to how anti-christian she is.
[/quote]

Sylvia Browne is also a convicted con-artist. She also claims to be Catholic.

I think its important to find a point of agreement with people and also to validate the things they beleive and do that are right, in spite of there also being things they also do that we know are wrong.

I have seen her on television before, and I skimmed one of her books several years back. She strikes me as a person of general good will who seeks to use her unique psychic powers (that she had since childhood) to do good.

But she is a medium who speaks to the dead and gives prophecies to people about the future, and we Catholics know we are clearly forbidden to consult these.

A friend of mine who was not Catholic was very interested in Browne, and had also consulted a psychic herself also. What she told me of her own reading was quite interesting.

I like interesting things but I know this is forbidden by the church so I don’t go there.

Recently, this friend, for whom I have been praying for a long time, praise God, is truly converting to Catholic! This time when she brought up something interesting she saw of Browne recently, I was able to explain that we are not to consult mediums, and that although they may have truths and “secrets” to share, we have to beware since they are not truths from God, and the devil uses truth and infects it with just a bit of false - enough to pervert or ruin the truth. And the unwary don’t detect it.

Then she surprised me and shared that she heard Browne once say quite enphatically on TV that “…There is no Hell. It does not exist!” My friend said she knew this was wrong, and it alerted her.

Now doesn’t that sound like the devil to give her all these secrets and special knowledge to Browne that she can use with the intention of goodness, and then he teaches her that there is no Hell. And she shares that on TV to all those who are impressed and amazed with her powers and who have confidence in her spirituality. And If even that is the only lie to tell, the devil has made great use of her!

So yes she has special powers, but so did Pharoh’s magicians who were able to do many of the miracles that Moses did.

My son and I were reading the “Macbeth” story yesterday and that sure relates to this. MacBeth consulted these 3 witches and they gave him true, special, and secret information about himself and his future. Macbeth takes confidence in the information - after all, much of it has proven amazingly true, so, one can’t deny their powers are real. But he realizes with dismay, moments before he is slain in a battle which he foolishly went into with confidence due to what the witches, or spirits, had told him, that, “the spirits had played him false with their truths”.

So I say, beware Sylvia Browne! She may have good will, and be able to tell you good things, but it doesn’t mean she will do you good!

To defend myself, yes you are right in regards to not spout info. as fact when there is nothing to prove that. But, I said supposedly the Mosonic Society worships Satan. The main point is that she shows support for the church, whether she is actually with them or not. What is a main alert of this church is that they are a secret society, which any christian church’s goal should not to be secret, but to be open. Sylvia writes as if she believes in one God. Unless, you go deeper into her site do you see that she actually plain out says she does not, that she does not believe in the trinity, but actually believes in many gods. If one who is so far off the teachings of the Bible supports a church, one should not just turn their head. It shows a negative relation and the fact that the Masonic Temple does not reject correlation with her is another to keep in mind that the two possibly support eachother. Looking at the beginning of her “Past Lives, Future Healing” book, and her site, she is very creative and manipulative to use her supposedly great education, experience and proven powers to validate her beliefs to cause others to lead away from what the Bible really teaches. Because this info is not proven does not mean not to put it into consideration. It is between the lines that you need to be on alert about. Her judgement is not christian. The fact that she calls herself christian is scary to realise all those including my mom unfortunately, who support her because of her good intentions. It is that loose belief of “meaning well” that people fall into traps.

Sorry alius. Yes, i do agree that she is teaching things that no “practical” Christian should be teachining. My comment to you was simply that your inclusion of a spurious remark linking her to the Freemasons and your beliefs regarding them (as opposed to her) was a weakening factor in your otherwise valid (imho, anyway) argument for her and her feel-good-at-any-cost-to-God’s-Truth teachings.

She falls into the same category of the woman that I saw on 20/20 or some such evening show that continually insisted to being a good Catholic, all the wile seeking to bear a child without a husband and being a “professional” occult therapist. Just another wolf in sheeps clothing. Though perhaps jackal or hyena is more approprite to this type of “lead them over the edge of the cliff” types than the more directly injurious Wolf. Regardless of symbolic animal type, the spiritual assault on their vicitms are the same, even if they themselves are unaware of their participation.

See, not having any actual evidence to settle my point on her criminal background, as a Catholic in Training, I know it is my obligation to assume that she, herself, is as deceived as we see her deceiving others, which is the only way to assess that she is acting in her “good” concience and giving her the “benefit of the doubt” as I personally have no personal knowledge to assert that she is acting deliberately in her spiritual maliciousness. To the contrary, as a past occultist myself who never ceased to uphold my own Christian (if protestant) standing, I do know that it is easy to spew this stuff with a clear and innocent (if deluded) consience.

Not that her being taken in by her own delusion does not diminish the effects of that delusion or its power on others; it only creates that point of doubt about her culpibility, which leaves the actual judgement of her soul rightly in the Hands of God (as it should be). None of us here have the discernment necessary to identify her as the player or the pawn; but we can recognize the diabolical (if honeyed) nature of her teachings.

She’s also poor at what she does.

She reported that Al Gore would be president back in 1999. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.