symbol?

What does the symbol of P with a line through the bottom of the P (like a fallen cross) mean?

[quote=ann]What does the symbol of P with a line through the bottom of the P (like a fallen cross) mean?
[/quote]

It’s called a Chi Ro and is found in the catacombs. It is thought to represent Peter § and Christ (X).

It is chi rho, but I believe it stands for Christ, chi (x) being the first Greek letter in the word Christ, and rho §, which is an r, being the second. It is an abbreviation.

Yours,
Jessica

[quote=BecomeLowly]It is chi rho, but I believe it stands for Christ, chi (x) being the first Greek letter in the word Christ, and rho §, which is an r, being the second. It is an abbreviation.

Yours,
Jessica
[/quote]

Didn’t Constantine or someone see the symbol in a dream? That’s what I heard, then he made his army paint that on their sheilds.

[quote=Angainor]Didn’t Constantine or someone see the symbol in a dream? That’s what I heard, then he made his army paint that on their sheilds.
[/quote]

**BecomeLowly **is correct about the derivation of the Chi-Rho. Constantine, as I understand, had a vision of the Cross, and the message *In Hoc Signo Vinces, *“By this sign you will conquer,” which he had the Cross emblazoned on his army’s shields.

(And, no: *In Hoc Signo… *is not where the letters IHS derive. Rather, those are the first 3 Greek letters of the name of Jesus, Iota-Eta-Sigma. Why the sigma is transliterated to S while the eta is not into E I do not know. Sometimes it is done as miniscule Greek/Latin, “ihc”)

tau^H^H^H tee

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

[quote=tee_eff_em]**BecomeLowly **is correct about the derivation of the Chi-Rho. Constantine, as I understand, had a vision of the Cross, and the message *In Hoc Signo Vinces, *“By this sign you will conquer,” which he had the Cross emblazoned on his army’s shields.
[/quote]

I may be mistaken, and perhaps Constantine did invent (or popularize (along with the rest of Christianity)) the chi-rho.

Constantine’s Vision and Dream(s)

tau^H^H^H tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.