symbol

What is the symbol people make after someone mentions a reading from the Gospel? It’s like putting your fingers on your eyes and mouth or something?

You make a little cross on your forehead (mind), lips, and heart because you want the Gospel in those three places:thumbsup:

And they say, “Glory to you Oh Lord.”

(at least I think that’s what we’re saying?)

[quote=gnat]What is the symbol people make after someone mentions a reading from the Gospel? It’s like putting your fingers on your eyes and mouth or something?
[/quote]

You make a small cross on your forehead saying, “be in my thoughts”, then on your lips saying, “and on my lips”, then over your heart saying, “and in my heart”.

As you make these 3 signs of the cross you say to yourself

• ‘May be the Gospel of the Lord be forever on my mind, on my lips, and in my heart.’*

the crossing is only required of the priest or decon, but the laity are free to do so as well.

“I say Glory to you oh Lord” and THEN cross myself and actually say “may the gospel be in my mind, on my lips, and in my heart”

but that is just my personal preference

I think it is actually more correct to say that it was for deacons and preists to do, and after many years of seeing it, the laity picked it up as well. I don’t think there is anything strictly prohibiting the laity from doing it, but it was never supposed to in the first place. Anyone with an authoritative source on this?

[quote=TAS2000]I think it is actually more correct to say that it was for deacons and preists to do, and after many years of seeing it, the laity picked it up as well. I don’t think there is anything strictly prohibiting the laity from doing it, but it was never supposed to in the first place. Anyone with an authoritative source on this?
[/quote]

The clerics are more consistent with it, but it is not just an action for them. It was once common to see virtually everybody do it. Its use has declined, not increased.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.