Synod not about remarriage says Bagnasco

ANSA) - Vatican City, September 22 - The leader of Italy’s bishops on Monday said media reports had fuelled “grossly misleading” public perceptions that next month’s special synod on the family was all about divorced and remarried people being admitted to the sacraments.
“(It is) grossly misleading, as it seems to be induced by public opinion, to reduce the work of the Synod of Bishops to that of discussing the sacramental practices surrounding divorce and remarriage”, said Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, president of the Italian Episopal Conference (CEI).
Bagnasco was speaking at the opening of a CEI meeting which will run through Wednesday.

ansa.it/english/news/vatican/2014/09/22/synod-not-about-remarriage-says-bagnasco_432e1de7-d81f-4b5b-a481-f99f1eff9837.html

I’ve been saying this for months! :stuck_out_tongue:

I said this in the Card Burke thread too, but although I totally agree with Card Bagnasco, I think the Church has brought this type of media attention on itself.

Yep. A media-manufactured controversy. But therein lies the problem even though that’s the case: an expectation is being created. Much like Paul VI before HV. Or the whole M. Div thing. Women got the impression that ordination was just around the corner, so bunches of them went out and got the necessary degrees and then got all bitter when it didn’t happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.