Syriac Patriarch raps Western indifference to persecution of Christians in Middle East [CC]

Christians are an “endangered species” in the Middle East today, Syriac Catholic Patriarch Ignatius III Younan said in an August 2 address to the Knights of Columbus convention in Toronto.

More…

Rightly so.

The Syriac Patriarch went on to criticize nations that have formed alliances with Islamic states despite the failure of the latter to respect fundamental human rights, particularly the right to religious freedom. “It’s not honest or sincere to be allied to such a regime, and to say we have an annual report about religious freedom,” he said, in what appeared to be a clear reference to the US.

Christians are an “endangered species” Younan said, while decrying that the current genocide of Christians, unlike that of the Armenians in the early 20th century, is happening “before the eyes of the whole world, and the global indifference is stunning!”

Their survival in the Middle East, he said, “is not going to be assured [by the] hypocritical and Machiavellian agenda of the powerful countries and politicians of the West.”

Younan was referring to the West and the United Nations forging deals with wealthy Middle Eastern countries, for instance for access to their oil reserves, while looking the other way when it comes to violating the quintessential principle of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: religious freedom.

cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/08/03/syrian-catholic-leader-challenges-claims-islam-non-violent/

I can’t help but wonder how the Holy Spirit is working in all this. I sometimes wonder if part of God’s over-arching plan is to somehow reconcile the three Abrahamic faiths via the “blood of the innocents,” which cries out to Him. Blood, sweat, and tears. I do not know, though. Understanding this means a much deeper level of intimacy with God, which I haven’t attained. It’s much to ponder. At any rate, it is my deep hope that we all be called to union with the life of the Trinity. (But that statement is likely to start a storm of protest.)

I agree.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.