Syrian Church Leader Begs Christians to Stay Despite War and Persecution; Warns Christianity Is Disappearing

A man carries a girl as they rush away from a site hit by what activists said were airstrikes by forces loyal to Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad in the Douma neighborhood of Damascus, Syria August 24, 2015.

A senior Catholic leader in Syria is asking young Christians to stay in the war-torn country despite the ongoing violence and persecution they face, noting that parishes are being emptied and Christianity is disappearing from the region.

“The almost communal wave of youth emigration, especially in Syria, but also in Lebanon and Iraq breaks my heart, wounding me deeply and dealing me a deadly blow,” Melkite Greek Catholic Patriarch Gregorios III said in an open letter, according to Catholic Herald.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/syrian-church-leader-begs-christians-to-stay-despite-war-and-persecution-warns-christianity-is-disappearing-144439/#SzlHIkYkIRE6Epmz.99

Things were a lot better for Catholics in the Middle East before the US invaded Iraq.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.