System of a down, Religious?

Just wondering if anyone here listens to them. IDK, I seem to think they are very religious: even though they don’t go out, and say it. Listen to the lyrics, at least for me. Here are some that I think are easy to tell.

Aerials. youtube.com/watch?v=6zlqMmK19S0

Ego Brain. youtube.com/watch?v=f0ySyCw3eGc

ATWA.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZ8tRlcZhA&feature=related

Science. youtube.com/watch?v=mBM2iGXrshU

Ddevil. youtube.com/watch?v=es1AMl5y3pE

Forest. youtube.com/watch?v=xgP_2zf0NV8

Soldier Side. youtube.com/watch?v=T8YluAMCRT8&feature=related

Roulette. (Calmest of them all. Very Emotional). youtube.com/watch?v=KeLGwrlUMTM

There are many more that sorta have the same tone. Again might just be my way of trying to get religion out of most songs. See if you see it.

Mis-Post

Well the song “Science” seems to emphasize faith but some of their song are just about social issues like war and some are completely nonsensical

I dunno, from thier hit “Chop Suey”

*I don’t think you trust
In, my, self righteous suicide
I, cry, when angels deserve to die
In, my, self righteous suicide
Father, father, father, father
Father into your hands, I commend my spirit
Father into your hands
why have you forsaken me
In your eyes forsaken me
In your thoughts forsaken me
In your heart forsaken, me oh
Trust in my self righteous suicide
In my self righteous suicide
I, cry, when angels deserve to die *

Are they mocking Christ’s sacrifice as ‘self righteous suicide’? ‘Angels deserve to die’?

Catchy tune but the lyrics are troubling. :shrug:

I don’t think so. But I am young and naive so, lol.

The jury is still out on this one. Since System of a Down is more political in Nature, they’re probably referring to terrorism which has been common in their country. It is my understanding that the band members are related to those who were murdered in their own brand of righteousness. Their song “soldier side” actually talks about Jesus and salvation but in the context of people who use his name in order to justify war. He’s basicaly talking about what a shame it is that these men will die wounded and alone for no reason. I don’t thing SOAD is christian tho. They are political first off but secondly, they are possibly Muslim or Jewish. Serj is Middle Eastern I believe. Like Turkish or something like that. but alot of his songs have to do with war and consumerism but he is somewhat spiritual. In SCIENCE he continually states “spirit moves through all things”. he never says what sort of spirit. It’s very vague but apparently for him, scientific progress is not the answer to fixing the problems of men’s souls, it just makes it easier for them blow each other up more and “BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY” (from BOOM).

Interesting perspective, Naztakuan. Thanks :slight_smile:

They are not Muslim or Jewish and the band isn’t middle eastern. They are Armenian Christians. Remember the Armenian genocide? Oh, that’s right there’s only one genocide that people seem to know. There’s a reason for that…hmm…:newidea:

Guitarist Daron Malakian: “The song is about how when people die, they will be regarded differently depending on the way they pass. Like, if I were to die from a drug overdose, everyone would say I deserved it because I abused drugs, hence the line ‘Angels deserve to die.’” (thanks, dwayne - dudley, England)

This is about drug addiction, but it doesn’t have the somber tone that many songs about addiction have. The band describes it as “a little quacky.” The song can also be interpreted to be about how society views death or about Christ.

From SongFacts

I think I heard that it might refer to something about the Armenian Genocide. I think I heard that a person repeated Christ’s words before he was killed during the genocide.
But I’m not sure.

What reason would that be?

You are right that they are Armenian. I am not sure where you are going with the last part of your post. I am not sure I want to know either.

It’s the ‘Irish agenda’?

Woah don’t look at us. This is all on him.

:slight_smile:

Us naughty Jooz are allowed an agenda; the Armenians are allowed an agenda (and they’re not particularly naughty except to Turks or an Azerbaijanis, heaven’s even the naughty, naughty, naughty Gays are allowed an agenda!

So, why are the Irish not allowed an ‘agenda’? Are the Irish not naughty enough for an agenda? Did the Brits steal the ‘Irish Agenda’?

:slight_smile:

Us naughty Jooz are allowed an agenda; the Armenians are allowed an agenda (and they’re not particularly naughty except to Turks or an Azerbaijanis), heaven’s even the naughty, naughty, naughty Gays are allowed an agenda!

So, why are the Irish not allowed an ‘agenda’? Are the Irish not naughty enough for an agenda? Did the Brits steal the ‘Irish Agenda’?

We don’t have an agenda besides selling copious amounts of alcohol once a year to convince Americans that ‘‘everyones Irish on St. Patrick’s day’’ :rolleyes:

Then again…there was a memo about something important…something about fooling the world for our own twisted…actually, never mind there is NO Irish agenda.

Hm, what would one expect from a card-carrying member of HOG (Hibernian Occupation Government)?

I am 50% Irish. Is that enough to get in?

All depends. Is that 50% from one parent actually born in Ireland?

25% from two half Irish parents whose Irish parent was born in Ireland?

Or is it just adding up percentages from various ancestors?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.