Tabernacle desecrated in attack on Catholic church in Sri Lanka

The keresene soaked tabernacle refused to burn and the blessed Sacrament miraculously remained intact. Father, forgive them for they know not what they do! :frowning:

There is growing religious intolerance in Sri Lanka: a group of unknown persons attacked the Catholic Church of St. Francis Xavier in Angulana in the Archdiocese of Colombo. The vandals destroyed an ancient statue of the Virgin, and then demolished the tabernacle: they removed it from the altar trying to set fire to the Eucharist. The incident occurred on June 5th at around 10 pm, but so far the police have not yet identified the perpetrators.

asianews.it/news-en/Sri-Lanka,-tabernacle-desecrated-in-attack-on-Catholic-church-28155.html

Father almighty, forgive them, touch their heart and soul, and allow these individuals to ask for forgiveness.

It’s sad that some people feel so much hatred towards God’s Church. Hopefully their eyes will be opened before they die.

As to the tabernacle, was it made of wood? Whatever it’s material, It’s amazing that the Eucharist did not burn. Miracle or not, that’s impressive.

Even if this sort of attack happens at a far away country, it still should concern us. To destroy that which is sacred within the sanctuary of a Catholic church is appalling. Pray for the Catholics of Sri Lanka to forgive and have continuous faith.

This is obviously sad news, but all the hate directed towards the Catholic Church (from non-Christians, from SDAs, Evangelicals, Protestants in general, and even from the supposedly sister church, the Eastern Orthodox) makes me think that it’s Christ’s Church even more: “If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.”

Satan knows the TRUTH that is why the tabernacle and the statue of The Blessed Mother was attacked.

You said exactly what I was going to say… I will do prayers and acts of reparation to make some atonement for this evil… I pray that Jesus will accept my prayers and I will also pray for the deliverance of those whom Satan has used to carry out this desecration… May God have mercy on us!!!

Arise O Lord and let Thy enemies be scattered
let those that hate Thee fly before Thy Face!

My Jesus Mercy!

“The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see Cardinals opposing Cardinals, Bishops against other Bishops. The priests who venerate Me will be scorned and opposed by their confreres. Churches and altars will be sacked. The Church will be filled with those who accept compromises, and the devil will induce many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord.

“The devil will be especially implacable against the souls consecrated to God. The thought of the loss of so many souls is the cause of My sadness. If sins increase in number and gravity, there will no longer be pardon for them.

“Pray very much the prayers of the Rosary. I alone am able to still save you from the calamities which approach. Those who place their confidence in Me will be saved.” - Our Lady of Akita

Amazing! Leaves me breathless. Thank you.

O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifferences by which He is offended. By the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary I beg the conversion of poor sinners. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.