Tabernacle light

At my daughter,s parish in Texas the Holy Communion is reserved in a different building from the main church a chapel. I asked why is the tabernacle light light lit when the Blessed Sacrament isn,t present? What is correct the law of the church in this regard? Thanks
MD

So then does everyone genuflect towards the empty tabernacle upon entering the sanctuary even though Christ is not present there in the Eucharist?
If the most blessed sacrament is not present then the sanctuary lamp should not be lit.

[quote="Nigel7, post:2, topic:298641"]
If the most blessed sacrament is not present then the sanctuary lamp should not be lit.

[/quote]

...otherwise it would defeat the purpose of the light...

[quote="dwyermd, post:1, topic:298641"]
At my daughter,s parish in Texas the Holy Communion is reserved in a different building from the main church a chapel. I asked why is the tabernacle light light lit when the Blessed Sacrament isn,t present? What is correct the law of the church in this regard? Thanks
MD

[/quote]

But do you know for sure the Tabernacle is empty?

There could be another Ciboria in there for people to take the Eucharist to the home/hospital bound, or there could be a Luna with a host in it, to be used for Adoration.

Or, are you saying there is a Sanctuary Lamp in both the Church and the Chapel, but only one Tabernacle?

the Blessed Sacrament is taken out of the main church to a chapel after communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.