Tabernacle placement - great news today!

Our priest (new to our parish since May) just announced during his homily today that beginning next week, the tabernacle will be moved to the center of the church, directly behind the altar, and his chair, which is currently there, will be moved off to the side. The nicer looking tabernacle from the attached adoration chapel will be moved to the church and the old sanctuary candle that was used in the parish’s old church building will be brought in and used. He went on to explain the reasons for it and not wanting to be the center of the Mass himself, with his chair in the place the tabernacle should be.

My wife and I told him after Mass how happy we were to hear that, and he said he had wanted to change that right away, but didn’t think it was a good idea to do it too soon after coming to a new parish. He said he figured everyone had now had enough time to get used to him that he could start making those changes. He’s a great young priest (2 years ordained) from the Phillipines and the whole parish seems to be very happy with him.

God bless that priest! the tabernacle in our church is nowhere near the sanctuary, basically on the other side of the church, and people just walk up to it to take the blessed sacrament out all the time. If only priests would make changes like this more often without worried about making the parishoners mad.

Great catechesis! What a blessing for your parish family.

The tabernacle in my parish is to the side of the sanctuary. I wish it were in the center.

CaptFun Responds in RED

and his chair, which is currently there, will be moved off to the side.

:slight_smile: Matt 10:24 No disciple is above his teacher, no slave above his master.

25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, for the slave that he become like his master…

The nicer looking tabernacle from the attached adoration chapel will be moved to the church and the old sanctuary candle that was used in the parish’s old church building will be brought in and used. He went on to explain the reasons for it and not wanting to be the center of the Mass himself, with his chair in the place the tabernacle should be.

What a good priest and humble he seems to me. There is something a bit unsettling about the tabernacle holding the Blessed Sacrament and CHRIST HIMSELF being set off to the side, hidden in the back or almost outside of the building (as I have seen … or haven’t seen) and a large chair representing :confused::shrug: is suddenly elevated above the tabernacle or replaces its “front and center” placement.

Were I a priest, I would feel*** VERY*** strange the first time I saw that configuration. In FACT the first time I saw it, scriptures like THIS came to my mind.

Isaiah 14:13 You said in your heart: “I will scale the heavens; Above the stars of God I will set up my throne; I will take my seat on the Mount of Assembly, in the recesses of the North. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will be like the Most High!”

which seems to be about Satan or the Antichrist’s sin of PRIDE and lack of due worship.

My wife and I told him after Mass how happy we were to hear that, and he said he had wanted to change that right away, but didn’t think it was a good idea to do it too soon after coming to a new parish. He said he figured everyone had now had enough time to get used to him that he could start making those changes. He’s a great young priest (2 years ordained) from the Phillipines and the whole parish seems to be very happy with him.

John 10:2 But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice. 5 But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers."

6 Although Jesus used this figure of speech, they did not realize what he was trying to tell them.

7 So Jesus said again, "Amen, amen, I say to you, **I am the gate for the sheep. **

And it looks like you have a “good shepherd” in your parish. Soon you will see children taught to genuflect to our Lord again, as the Blessed Sacrament will be the first thing one sees when coming into your church and looking front and center.

This is hard to do when you don’t know where the tabernacle is. If I were in your parish I would have done JUST what you did. And I would have great confidence in him. I suppose one should expect to see this quality in their parish priests (the humility and desire to honor God well) but somewhere are the folks who moved the tabernacle in the first place one would think – and though I can’t imagine what their reasons were … if they were ON that liturgy committee or whatever … there may be hurt feelings, or politics, or accusations of your priest “showboating” or something. Though I hope not.
Psalm 26:6 I will wash my hands in innocence and walk round your altar, LORD, 7 Lifting my voice in thanks, recounting all your wondrous deeds.

8 LORD, I love the house where you dwell, the tenting-place of your glory.:slight_smile:
[/size]

Rejoicing in your good news! It seems your parish has been blessed with this young priest. Pray for him often - he needs your prayer support.

That’s wonderful news!!! Your young priest is very wise.

Alleluia…Alleluia…Alleeeeluia :harp:!!!

:extrahappy: ** YAY!** :extrahappy:

That is great news. I wish more churches would do so, as many churches in my diocese do not have the tabernacle visible. I still genuflect towards the altar as its ingrained in me to do so out of respect no matter where the tabernacle is located.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/ppcccaps/wotw6.jpg

They've moved the tabernacle AGAIN!

And NOW I've just genuflected to a LECTURN!

"I Don't Know Where They've Taken Him"

2012 Mary Magdalen Award:

Winning Poster USA Regionals

From my earlier post on Catholic memes. A similar sentiment to some here. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.