Tabernacles?

Hello,

I need to ask a question, not sure if this is the right place?
With regards to placement of the Tabernacle:

According to the Catechism, #'s 1183,1379, the Tabernacle is to be placed “in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor”…it goes on to say that it should be a place to “foster Adoration”.

1. So, can that be off to the side of the Alter?
  2. Behind the Alter?
  3. Or, off in it’s own room?

I’ve listened to differnt opinions, not really sure what’s the truth. :confused:
In the old Church wasn’t it againt the wall? Which was also the Alter?

What would be more Reverent?

Thanks,

Scott

[quote=super64]Hello,

According to the Catechism, #'s 1183,1379, the Tabernacle is to be placed “in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor”…it goes on to say that it should be a place to “foster Adoration”.

2. Behind the Alter?

I’ve listened to differnt opinions, not really sure what’s the truth. :confused:

Thanks,

Scott
[/quote]

Although I have seen tabarnacles against the back wall, by far the most common location in the many countries I have attended Mass is righthand side.

i think the best place is at the center. Just below the main image in the altar.

[quote=super64]Hello,

2. Behind the Alter?

Thanks,

Scott
[/quote]

There are different opinions because the real answer is 4. All of the above. Depending on the specific circumstances and layout of the church. In churches that are not tourist attractions or other wise very busy during the day. When you walk into the church your attention should be drawn right to the tabernacle. If not in the center of the sanctuary. It should be well lit and stand out. Someone who enters should not have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the tabernacle.

Thanks for responding.

Br. Rich SFO,

When you walk into the church your attention should be drawn right to the tabernacle. If not in the center of the sanctuary. It should be well lit and stand out. Someone who enters should not have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the tabernacle.

Here’s another question. What’s more important, the Tabernacle or the Alter?

Let me explain: Before and after the Eucharistic Liturgy, where’s Jesus? In the Tabernacle. Right? (we don’t need to go into “He’s in us” and “we are the faith community” stuff, I’ve had my share of that crowd, thank you anyway! :rolleyes: Ofcourse, His in us.But we don’t bow to each other now do we,or genuflect :thumbsup: )
I mean if you go into a church to pray, we’re not praying to the Alter? We bow to the alter, but genuflect to the Tabernacle. During Adoration, we sit with our Lord, and that occurs whereever He is placed. Whether it be in the Tabernacle, shrine or Luna. It’s kinda confusing. Some people in my church put the priority on the Alter ahead of the Tabernacle. I say no. I’m I wrong?

Scott

[quote=super64]Thanks for responding.

Br. Rich SFO,

Here’s another question. What’s more important, the Tabernacle or the Alter?

Let me explain: Before and after the Eucharistic Liturgy, where’s Jesus? In the Tabernacle. Right? (we don’t need to go into “He’s in us” and “we are the faith community” stuff, I’ve had my share of that crowd, thank you anyway! :rolleyes: Ofcourse, His in us.But we don’t bow to each other now do we,or genuflect :thumbsup: )
I mean if you go into a church to pray, we’re not praying to the Alter? We bow to the alter, but genuflect to the Tabernacle. During Adoration, we sit with our Lord, and that occurs whereever He is placed. Whether it be in the Tabernacle, shrine or Luna. It’s kinda confusing. Some people in my church put the priority on the Alter ahead of the Tabernacle. I say no. I’m I wrong?

Scott
[/quote]

The Blessed Sacrament is always the focus. The GIRM indicates that at all times outside of the celebration of the Mass one acknowledges the presence of Christ in the tabernacle by genuflection. Within the celebration of the Mass the focus is again on Christ in the Blessed Sacrament however now on the altar which is why the priest genuflects after the Consecration. During the Liturgy of the word the Altar is reverenced with a bow because of the anticipation of what will be taking place on the Altar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.