TAC Prepares for Full Communion With Rome

VATICAN CITY - As the Anglican Communion threatens to break up, one large group of Anglicans is blazing a trail to Rome, and another could follow suit.

The Traditional Anglican Communion, an autonomous group of 400,000 clergy and laity separate from the Anglican Communion, has drawn up detailed plans on how to come into full communion with the Holy See.

After 12 years of consultations, both internally and informally with the Vatican, the group - with the help of a Catholic layman - is preparing a “Pastoral Plan” asking the Vatican for an “Anglican Rite Church” that would preserve their Anglican heritage while allowing them to be “visibly united” with Rome.

The Traditional Anglican Communion’s worldwide primate, Archbishop John Hepworth, hopes the group’s College of Bishops will approve the plan at a possible Rome Synod in February 2006.

The church’s members are so far reported to be unanimous in their desire for full communion. If formally agreed, the proposal would then be presented to Vatican officials.

If Rome approves, the Traditional Anglican Communion, a worldwide ecclesial body based in Australia, could become the largest Anglican assembly to return to the Church since the Reformation.

In a statement released earlier this year, Archbishop Hepworth, a former Catholic priest, said the denomination had “no doctrinal differences with Rome” that impeded full communion. “My broad vision is to see the end of the Reformation of the 16th century,” he said.

The denominations has pursued unity with Rome since the Anglican started ordaining women as priests, a move that, Archbishop Hepworth says, was the “ultimate of schismatic acts” and irrevocably “fractured” the 1966 Common Declaration between Rome and Canterbury.

The historic agreement made between Pope VI and then-Archbishop of Canterbury Michael Ramsey, obliged both communions to work towards unity through serious dialogue.

more @
virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3420

Should be interesting. I am wondering if they will be allowed to use the “Anglican Use” liturgy. I guess these issues will be resolved as the time come closer.

PF

Every step closer to unity is a blessed thing. It would be a good Christmas present to give back to Christ.

Quite honestly, it would be silly not to give them the Anglican Rite-- if that’s something impeding unity, then let them do it. Doctrine is what matters. As long as we agree on doctrine, right?

The reformation died a long time, they just can’t admit it. They’re all just soaking wet. Swimming in de nile will do that you know.

All heresies die just look at history. All Protestants will come home, it just takes time to get over that human emotion called pride and admit they failed. Women and homosexual clergy are at least wakeing a few of them up.

It’s good to see the wondering sheep come home to the flock.

I hope we create an Anglican Rite so it’s easier for more of our CofE/Episcopalian brethren to come home. When we agree on doctrine, the Anglican Liturgy isn’t all that bad.

Anglican rite is very interesting and beautiful, I hope and I am anxious for the union, more catholics in the world, what a dream!!!
Greetings

[quote=RobNY]Every step closer to unity is a blessed thing. It would be a good Christmas present to give back to Christ.

Quite honestly, it would be silly not to give them the Anglican Rite-- if that’s something impeding unity, then let them do it. Doctrine is what matters. As long as we agree on doctrine, right?
[/quote]

I agree, and maybe as long as they acknowledge the authority of His Holiness.

Just to throw out a question here:

How would that affect Anglicans who are in communion with the Church of England/the Archbishop of Cantebury? My husband is a member of this communion in Canada - my understanding is that the TAC is seperate from of the Church of England. I’m just wondering if it would be easier for him to convert if this happens. :confused:

Praise God. Please Lord, let this happen!

Adam

There is no need to create a new Anglican Use Rite because one already exists! Is that the hang-up? That they don’t want to use the one Rome has already sanctioned? Or is it something else? I find this whole thing way too confusing. But, if there were an Anglican Use Rite parish in my area I’d certainly check it out. I was brought up ECUSA and would love to be a member of an AUR parish as along as they weren’t being snobs about it. I’ve heard of at least one that is rather snobby–the opinion of a dear friend who tried attending there. But, I’d have to see for myself.

[quote=RobNY]Every step closer to unity is a blessed thing. It would be a good Christmas present to give back to Christ.

[/quote]

as long as we agree with ALL the doctrine.

Would all their ministers/priests be accepted as laity only? I can’t think B16 would just uniformally grant them the powers special to Catholic ordination.

An open and detailed “Profession of Faith” and “Declaration of Allegiance” would be a wonderful way to evangelize to the rest of the world. Perhaps other non-Catholics would then see what it is we really teach.

This sounds wonderful… just a couple issues hold this up.

One, the Anglicans would need to be conditionally re-ordained (or at least their Bishops would need to receive valid ordination from Catholics) unless some of them were ordained validly by Old Catholics, or in Abp Hepworth’s case, already ordained by the Church as a Priest. Anglican orders are “absolutely null and utterly void” still.

Secondly, what to do about a married Episcopacy? Even the Orthodox do not have that. There hasn’t been a married Episcopacy in Christendom since a couple of centuries after the Patristic days. Married Priests, fine, but married Bishops?

[quote=BillyT92679]This sounds wonderful… just a couple issues hold this up.

One, the Anglicans would need to be conditionally re-ordained (or at least their Bishops would need to receive valid ordination from Catholics) unless some of them were ordained validly by Old Catholics, or in Abp Hepworth’s case, already ordained by the Church as a Priest. Anglican orders are “absolutely null and utterly void” still.

Secondly, what to do about a married Episcopacy? Even the Orthodox do not have that. There hasn’t been a married Episcopacy in Christendom since a couple of centuries after the Patristic days. Married Priests, fine, but married Bishops?
[/quote]

I would think that ordination is not a given. They would come to Christ on Christ’s terms, not on their own. So they would all come into the Catholic Church as individual would…

God Be Praised. The Anglican Use Liturgy is beautiful, and I look forward to welcoming our brothers and sisters!!!

In Christ,

Baldwin IV

Well, we read here about the TAC, but what about other Anglican groups who may not be so vocal? Hopefully they’re also thinking about crossing over to Rome.

I am thinking that when they say that want the creation of an “Anglican Rite” they are talking more of a sui iuris Anglican Catholic Church.

So that would mean that they would have their own dioceses under there own bishops.

The current Anglican Use Liturgy is a liturgical rite within the Roman Church.

I think this would be very problematic as I think the bishops of the Roman Church would take issue with this move. There has only been on western Church in the Catholic Church, why create a new one? This is sort of like giving a reward for the schism that created the Anglican Church in the first place.

I am torn on this issue. On one hand I would love to see them come back into the Church and for a wide spread use of the Anglican Use Liturgy but on the other hand I do not think the creation of a new western Catholic Church is the right way to go about it.

When you get down to it, is the Anglican Use that much different from the rest of the western Church?

[quote=ByzCath]I am thinking that when they say that want the creation of an “Anglican Rite” they are talking more of a sui iuris Anglican Catholic Church.

So that would mean that they would have their own dioceses under there own bishops.

I think this would be very problematic as I think the bishops of the Roman Church would take issue with this move. There has only been on western Church in the Catholic Church, why create a new one? This is sort of like giving a reward for the schism that created the Anglican Church in the first place.

I am torn on this issue. On one hand I would love to see them come back into the Church and for a wide spread use of the Anglican Use Liturgy but on the other hand I do not think the creation of a new western Catholic Church is the right way to go about it.

When you get down to it, is the Anglican Use that much different from the rest of the western Church?
[/quote]

This could be interesting: the few hundred Anglicans in England who came over to Rome were not allowed any Anglican Use liturgy - in contrast to their brethren in the US - by the English Bishops: they had to make do with the same, Roman, Rite as most other Catholics in England: otherwise,there were about 1,000 Ukrainians, and a few hundred Catholics who took advantage of the Indults governing attendance at the unrevised Roman Liturgy. The TAC may be more fortunate, because they are far more numerous: much will depend on how they are fitted into the CC; in 1992, many Anglicans in England hoped to be allowed to join as a group, but the bishops did not agree: IIRC Rome was rather more sympathetic to their doing so, but the bishops had the final word.

The TAC won’t be able to dictate terms any longer; they’re going to have to do what they’re told. The CC is much less tolerant of tantrums & insubordination from those who don’t get what their way than the Church of England is: there is a great deal more to swimming the Tiber than taking on a few extra doctrines, for Rome & Anglicanism have very different tones & tempers; one wonders how well this is appreciated by would-be converts to Rome. They could well be in for a rude awakening. ##

[quote=ByzCath]I am thinking that when they say that want the creation of an “Anglican Rite” they are talking more of a sui iuris Anglican Catholic Church.

[/quote]

Further to what you say which I agree, I think celibacy can also be problematic for the people within the TAC.

While existing married priest may not be a problem (as per current pastoral provision in the US), but what about married bishop? This is something that Rome will unlikely (if ever) agree to since celibacy is a strong held tradition within the Western church.

To all: the following is the correct link for the above article

virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3420

Francis

[quote=fwon2638]VATICAN CITY - As the Anglican Communion threatens to break up, one large group of Anglicans is blazing a trail to Rome, and another could follow suit…In a statement released earlier this year, Archbishop Hepworth, a former Catholic priest, …

[/quote]

Hmmm, what’s that story? How does that affect things?

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Should be interesting. I am wondering if they will be allowed to use the “Anglican Use” liturgy. I guess these issues will be resolved as the time come closer.

PF
[/quote]

I think thats all good.
I am definitely for ecumenism and unification of all christians. If we celebrate the same Jesus, we shouln’t be yelling at each other. It is quite appropriate that Anglicans start the recess home.
Next come Lutherans I suppose?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.