Taize

What are the thoughts on this??? is this healthy???

Hello

In what ways the music or actually going there?

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

Insofar as we are able to have ecumencal prayer services with our protestant brethren, yes. On a musical side, I love the music from Taize. We (my cathedral choir) always use their setting of Veni Sancte Spiritus on Pentecost at Communion. The use of English, French, German, and Spanish texts exactly meets the ethnic identities of our parish. Then too the music from Taize is accesible to almost every choir and is a great way for the congregation to learn Latin.

in the ecumenical spirit that it wears…

does it in some way equivocate Protestantism and catholicism??

I don’t think it equates Protestantism and Catholicism in a bad way. If anything, it’s “too Catholic” for a lot of American Protestants. The prayer is liturgical. The use of chant, especially Latin. The focus on icons - Taize services that I have been to incorporate a crucifix (like the San Damiano cross), icons of Jesus and the Blessed Mother and other icons. European Protestants seem to be OK with this, but many Americans of an Evangelical or Pentacostal stripe would be horrified.

As I understand it, these days Taize is drawing a lot of visitors and devotees from Eastern Europe and Russia, from Eastern Orthodox churches. Insofar as it is ecumenical, I think it brings together Catholics (Western and Eastern), Orthodox, and Protestants that aren’t quite as far from Catholicism as we in America are used to. And the focus is on praise and worship of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I don’t think it introduces anything that is heretical or not compatible with the Catholic faith.

And one curious little factoid:

Both founders of the Community, Brother Roger of Taize and the late Father Max Thurian, who were Calvinist when they began, have come home to the Catholic Church. As have many others through their apostolate even before either of them had.

Open the door to Christ and He’s not shy about rehabbing the place!

karen marie

FYI — on August 16th, Brother Roger of Taize was murdered during Evening Prayer in the Monastery Church of Reconciliation at Taize.

Please pray for the repose of his soul, for his killer, for comfort for his brothers of the Community, and for the new Servant of Communion (prior) Brother Alois of Taize.

Alois is of German nationality, 51 years old, Catholic, and has been a brother of Taize for 32 years.

karen marie

[quote=kmknapp]FYI — on August 16th, Brother Roger of Taize was murdered during Evening Prayer in the Monastery Church of Reconciliation at Taize.

Please pray for the repose of his soul, for his killer, for comfort for his brothers of the Community, and for the new Servant of Communion (prior) Brother Alois of Taize.

Alois is of German nationality, 51 years old, Catholic, and has been a brother of Taize for 32 years.

karen marie
[/quote]

I visited Taize 30 years ago as a teenager. The memory of that visit is with me still. This is shocking news. Your suggestion of prayers are loving and appropriate, and especially so for a community dedicated to the reconciliation of Christian denominations and the people of Europe after the appalling pain and hatred of two world wars.

Alec

I went to Taize in 1995 and still very strongly remember the beautiful singing… Although only the tune since it was in a different language, but still AWESOME!!!

[quote=kmknapp]And one curious little factoid:

Both founders of the Community, Brother Roger of Taize and the late Father Max Thurian, who were Calvinist when they began, have come home to the Catholic Church. As have many others through their apostolate even before either of them had.

Open the door to Christ and He’s not shy about rehabbing the place!

karen marie
[/quote]

Actually I do not think Brother Roger ever entered communion with the Catholic Church.

See this thread where this is discussed.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=69913&highlight=Taize

And see Jimmy Akin’s blog where he discusses it and posts a response from the Vatican that says his (Brother Roger’s) reception of the Eucharist at Pope John Paul’s funeral was a mistake.

www.jimmyakin.org

[quote=ByzCath]Actually I do not think Brother Roger ever entered communion with the Catholic Church.

See this thread where this is discussed.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=69913&highlight=Taize

And see Jimmy Akin’s blog where he discusses it and posts a response from the Vatican that says his (Brother Roger’s) reception of the Eucharist at Pope John Paul’s funeral was a mistake.

www.jimmyakin.org
[/quote]

Well it was a graceful mistake then…

The catholic.com thread forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=69913&highlight=Taize
contains some quite (in my opinion) uncharitable comments. I am very much with Ahimsa’s view there which seems to have been ignored for the sake of reinforcing disagreement and schism.

Alec
evolutionpages.com

[quote=hecd2]Well it was a graceful mistake then…

The catholic.com thread forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=69913&highlight=Taize
contains some quite (in my opinion) uncharitable comments. I am very much with Ahimsa’s view there which seems to have been ignored for the sake of reinforcing disagreement and schism.

Alec
evolutionpages.com
[/quote]

This thread link is broken or at least it was when I tried it.

[quote=hecd2]Well it was a graceful mistake then…

[/quote]

Are you Catholic? It is not graceful for a non-catholic to recieve communion. It is a sacrilege.

[quote=philipmarus]This thread link is broken or at least it was when I tried it.
[/quote]

His broken link is nothing more than the link I put in my post he was replying to and I am stumped as I could find nothing uncharitable in that thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.