Take Holy Day off from work?

According to Canon 1247:

"On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.

Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and a[ff]airs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body."

It occurs to me that one ought to take the day off from work if possible, if a Holy Day happens to fall on a normally scheduled work day, such as happened on Ascension Thursday in my diocese. Am I mistaken?

No, you’re right on :thumbsup:

However, if you cannot take the day off, you can always go to Mass either before you get to work, during your lunch hour or after work, or, even the night before. Most, if not all, parishes will make allowances to make it easier for the faithful to fulfill their obligation.

I work for the Church and except for the schools’ faculty and those in the Religious Ed department we all had to work on Ascension Thursday, and it is a Holy Day in our diocese. There was a 12:10 Mass that people could take time off to go to. We had one of the HS kids come in and sit at the front desk while the office staff went to Mass.

If you can afford to take time off from work or you’re company will let you take the time off then more power too you. Many people are not able to do that and when they do get off work it’s either too late or too early in the day. We celebrated Mass for Ascension Thursday on Sunday which you were allowed to do. :slight_smile:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. **Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. **The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

bolded mine, above

I work in a hospital, and I am not in charge of my own schedule. We can attempt to trade days around, but it doesn’t always pan out.

You are correct.

I take the Holy Days off (I’m a teacher in a public school) and use the code “Religious Observance”. I remember when I was little and going to public school, I was jealous of the kids in Catholic School because they could have the day off for Holy Days and we didn’t get to. Now I take the day! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a teacher too; I’ll have to consider that next time the occasion arises. I know our students use religious obligations as an excused absence (usually just for morming Mass, not for the entire day). But I’ve never seen it as a category in our leave request forms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.