Take out your cell phone battery before Confession!

Our priest told us about how someone was convicted by the FBI based on his sacramental confession! It was meant for mobsters and maybe he was, but it’s still usable if they can hear you and have the green light to use it. Apparently, some cell phones have the devices in them that work even if the phone is turned off! If someone else is listening, it might affect the validity of your Confession if you are aware of the possibility. I don’t know though. The priest told other priests about the devices in cell phones after he saw the article.
This priest is a level-headed priest.

That he is a “level-headed priest” in no way ensures the validity of his statement.

Did you ask him for any details? Have you done any research on this subject? If not, you are making unsubstantiated claims backed up by “my priest said…”, of the sort that frequently cause panic and misinformation to spread.

Peace,
Dante

Our confessionals are inside the Church and my cell phone doesn’t enter the Church. There is no reason I need to be talking on my phone or worrying about who is calling me in the presence of our Lord.

I don’t know about that aleged function, but I do know that your provider, as well as any authorities upon request, know exactly where you are as long as the phone is turned on.:eek: Also our pastor has posted a sign to turn cells off during Mass. I had already been doing this, as unless you are expecting an urgent call, nothing is as important as a Eucharistic Celebration, nor more sacred than…

Maybe he saw this article: FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool

Simple answer…leave the thing in the car when you go to Confession…and don’t do anything illegal.

CASES IN THREE STATES CHALLENGE PRIVACY OF TALKS WITH CLERGY
By ARI L. GOLDMAN
The concept that a discussion between a clergyman and a churchgoer is confidential, a long tradition protected by law in most states, has come under challenge in recent cases in California, Texas and Florida. Religious leaders have expressed fear that the challenges could have a chilling effect on those who go to ministers, priests or rabbis for counseling and sacramental confessions. ‘‘Compelled disclosure,’’ said the Rev. Dean M. Kelley, director for religious and civil liberty of the National…

August 27, 1985 U.S. News
MORE ON PRIVACY AND: PRIESTS, RELIGION AND CHURCHES, DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION, CONFESSIONS, CLERGY, TEXAS, UNITED STATES, CALIFORNIA

Does it sound so fishy now? This world is going for the fall. This isn’t Chicken Little stuff. Read Yves DuPont’s “The Coming Chastisement” written in the ‘70s. Those things prophesied in ancient times, when put together, have eerie parallels to today.
Maybe we should be more concerned about the “Don’t worry; be happy (only)” clergy who lower our guards by avoiding the 4 last things so as not to seem freaky.
A lot of virulent Atheists are ex-Catholics (special thanks to the fuzzy wuzzy aggiormento noone can really respect)–then, you have liberal Jews and Protestants, well, most denominations went off the cliff shortly after the Lambeth thing in England and so we can only hope on evangelicals’ help in civil liberties, if not also Orthodox Jews . Why would this self-seeking society with a government in the hands of any political leaning officers that is suspicious for a good reason not work at this kind of plot? The government under officers of both sides of the aisle break many laws and gets away with lots of it. A pro-life leader was accused by NOW of racketeering, though he was exhonerated on all counts. I think I know who could tell me the article. He is a big help to that priest and very approachable.

The only thing a priest is compelled to do is martyr himself if necessary to keep the seal of the confessional. It’s ridiculous to think that priests can be “compelled” to release the contents of a confession. People should feel completely confident in sacramental confessions.

These are both from 1985. Unless you have anything more recent and actual court cases, its all hearsay. And hearsay is inadmissable in court.

Priest-penitant privilege is still upheld and I haven’t read any Supreme Court cases that says otherwise.

Not to mention the fact that the “compelling” of priests to break the confessional seal has nothing to do with the supposed eavesdropping through inactive cell phones.

Peace,
Dante

catholicleague.org/catalyst.php?year=1996&month=July-August&read=101

http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.aspx?GUID={112C46BB-EA83-4B57-AC4D-F67A85B0BB18} read the part…so if you were close to the…

alamo-girl.com/110.htm
.CNSNews.com 8/10/99 Lawrence Morahan “…The ages-old legal right of Catholic priests to keep to themselves what they hear in the confessional is under attack by a preparatory commission of the International Criminal Court (ICC), a United Nations’ body established last year to investigate genocide and crimes against humanity. In ongoing meetings this week to determine rules of evidence and procedure, the commission is considering revoking the so-called priest-penitent privilege, a sacred authority bestowed on ordained priests to hear the confessions of Catholics and grant them absolution for sins…”

textfiles.com/conspiracy/CN/cn07-83.txt

media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2006/03/03/EdOp/The-Catholic.Church.Was.The.Bigger.Threat-1654626.shtml

These aren’t about cell phone bugging. Does it really matter if it’s not admissable?

These are: but not about confessionals

news.zdnet.com/2100-1035-6165067.html
news.zdnet.com/2100-1035-6140191.html

It’s a brave new world.

catholicleague.org/catalyst.php?year=1996&month=July-August&read=101

http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.aspx?GUID={112C46BB-EA83-4B57-AC4D-F67A85B0BB18} read the part…so if you were close to the…

alamo-girl.com/110.htm
.CNSNews.com 8/10/99 Lawrence Morahan “…The ages-old legal right of Catholic priests to keep to themselves what they hear in the confessional is under attack by a preparatory commission of the International Criminal Court (ICC), a United Nations’ body established last year to investigate genocide and crimes against humanity. In ongoing meetings this week to determine rules of evidence and procedure, the commission is considering revoking the so-called priest-penitent privilege, a sacred authority bestowed on ordained priests to hear the confessions of Catholics and grant them absolution for sins…”

textfiles.com/conspiracy/CN/cn07-83.txt

media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2006/03/03/EdOp/The-Catholic.Church.Was.The.Bigger.Threat-1654626.shtml

These aren’t about cell phone bugging. Does it really matter if it’s not admissable?

These are: but not about confessionals

news.zdnet.com/2100-1035-6165067.html
news.zdnet.com/2100-1035-6140191.html

It’s a brave new world.
Forgive me if we are not supposed to copy/paste things onto newsgroups without the source’s permission.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AMEN! :thumbsup:

If you leave your cell phone in the car, and go to confession anonymously in a confessional–not face to face–there is nothing to worry about. There is no way a priest could ever be compelled to reveal the contents of an anonymous confession since he doesn’t know who was confessing.

Conversations with big brother OnStar silently listening in are another matter entirely!

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.