Taking a Turn Fast

Hello everybody,

This past Sunday I was a poor planner and ended up getting crunched for time. (Background information: I prefer to attend the TLM while my family goes to the NO. My Mass is about one hour after their Mass ends. My sister [the only one going to that morning’s Mass] walked out later than usual and I picked her up about thirty minutes before my Mass started)

As I was driving home to drop my sister off and change for Mass, I ended taking a turn much faster than I normally do to catch a green turn arrow. I fully consented to the action and had knowledge that I should slow down just prior to doing it, but is that a mortal sin? I don’t follow the “five-over the speed limit” thing that others do so it might not have been that fast relative to other drivers and my sister, who is quite the backseat driver, did not think it was a grave matter or freak out about the turn. No other cars were coming at us.

Thanks for your help everyone!

So you weren’t in excess of the speed limit, went through a green arrow, and successfully navigated the turn. Is that right?

There doesn’t seem to be any sin here at all…let alone mortal sin. :shrug:

I think it’s quite admirable that you are sensitive about the matter.
But, now that you know better… maybe it will be a mortal sin… maybe.
A car can be a killing machine. With that said, I sense you are a better driver.
Not sure where you were going with with your review about the different Masses.
But I perhaps the first lesson is making sure we all get there, that everyone on the road is as safe as possible.

It is inconceivable to me that this could be a mortal sin. It sounds like at most you were a tad aggressive in making a turn. That might be sinful in that it can increase the risk to others, but mortal? No way.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”**131

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a8.htm

Can you honestly say that the conditions met this criteria? If it wasn’t with full knowledge and deliberate intent it wasn’t mortal.
God bless,
your sister in Christ,
Trish

Not a mortal sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.