Taking a vow of celibacy

How do i take a vow of celibacy?

Knock yourself out, but shouldn’t this thing be kind of private?

Shouldn’t it just be “God, make me chaste, and do so now. I make a promise to you not to be intimate with anyone.”

What you don’t want to do is walk around with a button that says “I am Chaste. Don’t I rock? I’m better then you!” Nothing worse than people like that.

[quote="Rascalking, post:2, topic:242938"]
Knock yourself out, but shouldn't this thing be kind of private?

Shouldn't it just be "God, make me chaste, and do so now. I make a promise to you not to be intimate with anyone."

What you don't want to do is walk around with a button that says "I am Chaste. Don't I rock? I'm better then you!" Nothing worse than people like that.

[/quote]

Nice way to attack the original poster for no reason.

Thank you! I wasn’t trying to attack anyone, but thanks just the same.

Your totally not invited to my birthday party. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="Will_S, post:3, topic:242938"]
Nice way to attack the original poster for no reason.

[/quote]

I was just thinking that

Are you male or female?
If female, this website may be of interest to you:

consecratedvirgins.org/

In any case, this is not a decision that you should make lightly.

You join a religious order.

[quote="bethanysamuel, post:1, topic:242938"]

[/quote]

Bethany, the easiest way is to join a religious community. May I recommend the Dominican's of St. Cecilia's at Nashville, TN? I was there for three days when my cousin took her final vows. I have NEVER seen that many women all in one pile (about 150 of 'em) who GLOWED with happiness! And, yes, they took the vow of celibacy.

nashvilledominican.org/

Not entirely - this is a very relevant question.

This is not the only way. It is entirely possible for a person to become a consecrated celibate lay person. The OP should contact their Diocese for more information on how to pursue this status.

No question is stupid - we are not born with the information coded in our DNA for every single question in the world. Cut some folks some slack and you might just learn something.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:9, topic:242938"]
Not entirely - this is a very relevant question.

[/quote]

I never said it's not relevant. I said it should be private.

I totally agree that celibacy is a good thing, but I stand by everything I said. No one likes people who show off how celibate/virtuous/wonderful they are.

I never said the OP as doing that-just giving a general warning.

This may sound like a stupid question,but are consecrated virgins born again virgins,or actual virgins physically.

[quote="franny50, post:11, topic:242938"]
This may sound like a stupid question,but are consecrated virgins born again virgins,or actual virgins physically.

[/quote]

They are physical virgins. In Church determination, there is no such thing as a 'born again virgin' - there are only those who are not physical virgins, but are celibate and chaste. One can be ordained as a priest, join a religious order, be consecrated into the Order of Virgins if a physical virgin, there is consecration as a diocesan hermit, or one can make a private vow of celibate chastity but wise to seek spiritual direction first and to embrace it on an ongoing basis.
I was interested in Lizzanne's response. I have never heard of being consecrated to celibate chastity as a lay person and remaining in the laity and can you share any more about it? Is it something that is left up to individual bishop and is it a part of their discretionary powers in Church Law (to either consecrate a lay person to celibate chastity or not to do so including if the person is not a physical virgin)

TS

[/quote]

Can you keep the vow. I agree with the others - this is NOT something that you should make lightly. Lots of thought.

[/quote]

You would have to dig it up, but I recall that there is something (or maybe hearsay), that St. Joseph upon hearing that Mary wished to remain a virgin, became a Nazarite. It is some kind of Jewish vow of celibacy.

newadvent.org/cathen/10727a.htm

God Bless

[/quote]

[quote="TiggerS, post:12, topic:242938"]

I was interested in Lizzanne's response.

[/quote]

Go here for more info: consecratedvirgins.org/

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:15, topic:242938"]
Go here for more info: consecratedvirgins.org/

~Liza

[/quote]

Thank you for the reply, Liza. My info is that one needs to be a physical virgin to be consecrated into the Order of Virgins - and if one is not a physical virgin there is no formal consecration for a vow of celibate chastity, other than if one enters a religious order or is consecrated as a diocesan hermit? Also some secular orders.

In other words, if one is not a physical virgin one cannot be formally consecrated, as an individual, by one's bishop for a vow of celibate chastity insofar as I am aware?

TS

Thank you for all for the replies. My basic situation is that i feel called to make more of a commitment to God and without going into details, marriage is not my calling. This feeling has been gradually growing over the last few months.

Due to my current situation i cannot join an order which would involve living with other nuns i am needed in the community] and that in itself would take a long time of consideration.

I am committed in my heart to staying celibate forever, i just wondered if i can make it official to God [not publically], just in a consecrated way. And i wondered if there was anything in Canon Law about this.

For other reasons i cannot take vows of poverty and obedience for now, although i’m already not exactly rich and i pray a lot and follow the Commandments to the best of my ability.

I know it’s a big step but i just feel called towards it.

My understanding of being a nun is that you take vows of 1] obedience 2] celibacy 3] poverty.

In the future i may be able to take all 3, but for now i’d like to just take the vow of celibacy but stay in the community.

Also, this is not something i’d be bragging about to people, i’d probably just tell my best friend, although i don’t think there’s any shame in it.

I do lots of voluntary work and go to Mass nearly every day but i am by no means a saint, i have normal human feelings and sins just like everybody else, i definitely don’t see myself as being in any way superior to anyone at all.

I will now look at the links that some of you provided thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote="bethanysamuel, post:17, topic:242938"]
Thank you for all for the replies. My basic situation is that i feel called to make more of a commitment to God and without going into details, marriage is not my calling. This feeling has been gradually growing over the last few months.

Due to my current situation i cannot join an order which would involve living with other nuns i am needed in the community] and that in itself would take a long time of consideration.

I am committed in my heart to staying celibate forever, i just wondered if i can make it official to God [not publically], just in a consecrated way. And i wondered if there was anything in Canon Law about this.

For other reasons i cannot take vows of poverty and obedience for now, although i'm already not exactly rich and i pray a lot and follow the Commandments to the best of my ability.

I know it's a big step but i just feel called towards it.

My understanding of being a nun is that you take vows of 1] obedience 2] celibacy 3] poverty.

In the future i may be able to take all 3, but for now i'd like to just take the vow of celibacy but stay in the community.

Also, this is not something i'd be bragging about to people, i'd probably just tell my best friend, although i don't think there's any shame in it.

I do lots of voluntary work and go to Mass nearly every day but i am by no means a saint, i have normal human feelings and sins just like everybody else, i definitely don't see myself as being in any way superior to anyone at all.

I will now look at the links that some of you provided thanks! :)

[/quote]

Well, Bethany, here's something to consider.

If God is calling you to serve Him in a special way, then you need to be open to whatever He calls you to.

We are called to be IN the world, but not OF the world, if you know what I mean. We cannot be "of the world" and serve God simultaneously. We must be "other worldly."

The more we deny ourselves and empty ourselves of self, the more we can be filled with Christ.

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:18, topic:242938"]
Well, Bethany, here's something to consider.

If God is calling you to serve Him in a special way, then you need to be open to whatever He calls you to.

We are called to be IN the world, but not OF the world, if you know what I mean. We cannot be "of the world" and serve God simultaneously. We must be "other worldly."

The more we deny ourselves and empty ourselves of self, the more we can be filled with Christ.

[/quote]

Thanks, but could you elaborate a little bit as i'm not fully sure what you mean? What do you mean by "of the world"? Thank you

[quote="TiggerS, post:12, topic:242938"]
They are physical virgins. In Church determination, there is no such thing as a 'born again virgin' - there are only those who are not physical virgins, but are celibate and chaste. One can be ordained as a priest, join a religious order, be consecrated into the Order of Virgins if a physical virgin, there is consecration as a diocesan hermit, or one can make a private vow of celibate chastity but wise to seek spiritual direction first and to embrace it on an ongoing basis.

TS

[/quote]

What are you saying here?
A person does not have to be a physical virgin to be a priest or join a religious order. It wouldn't make any sense to exclude (say) a rape victim, or someone who converted as an adult from a bad lifestyle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.