Taking God's Name in Vain

I was watching the preview for the new movie Annie with my kids and there is a portion of the preview where Jamie Fox is inside his car and Cameron Diaz is outside the car. They are talking back and forth to each other and Jamie says “God has a plan for us all.” “Your plan is to back far away from my car.” Are statements like this considered taking God’s name in vein?

Thanks!

I don’t know, but I notice that Muslims take things like that seriously when it applies to their religion or to their prophet Mohammed. When they see things in print or in other media blaspheming their prophet Mohammed, there are demonstrations and protests. But when Roman Catholics see movies which take the name of God in vain, there is nothing - no protests, no demonstrations, no boycotts - just nothing and total passive acceptance at least as shown by the actions of Roman Catholics who continue to patronize PG-13 and R rated movies which frequently contain the use of the Holy Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ in vain and as an expletive.

Well put.
and as this quote correctly states.
Silence gives consent. ; Pope Boniface VIII.

We need to get serious about boycotting such things.
It’s hard to get the numbers up to start with, but if we stick to it then one day it will be a powerful voice that businesses, Hollywood and even Politicians will take seriously.

We can do it, we do each year to keep Christ in Christmas. and that grows in support every year.
Perhaps the new anti bully/discrimination laws might help us. They pick on the Christian name of Jesus all the time. but not on Buddha or Mohammad or even the name of a President. It’s discrimination and bullying. is it not?
Money talks the language of the Blasphemers,
so stop using their products, their stores, their movies, songs etc. and get people to join you. one snow flake starts an avalanche.

I don’t shop at stores that use happy holidays or Xmas signs and will comment (nicely)
within ear shot of the staff that we can’t shop here because their signs say that they don’t support Christ.
you would be surprised at how many stores change or add Christmas to their advertising.

But for my own accountability, every time I hear a “Jesus Christ” I instantly and loudly reply “Is my Lord and Master”. most people don’t even realise what they are saying until they hear a response like that.

God Bless.

Hello Jbehren.

No. Your example isn’t that same thing. Taking God’s name in vain means to us His Name for a cuss. It can also mean being Christian in name only. If you are Christian, you follow Jesus Christ and do all that you can to image Him in your life. But if you are lukewarm, you’re bearing the name Christian in vain. Swearing to God all the time to let some one know you really mean something is also a way of taking His Name in vain. Think Valley Girl who is constantly saying, “I swear to God…” Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the casual way some talk about God can indicate they have no fear of displeasing Him or think that because He loves them, they can talk about Him in less than respectful ways like they hang out with Him all the time and He’s their best friend and they have a few beers together every Saturday or something. Some do so when they make Him out to be a little too human as if He is just like every other slob on the bus, etc. This is disrespectful too. Any action that disrespects either the Holy Name of Jesus or His person violates the Commandment, but not all violations are mortal sins. Those who use the Name Jesus Christ as a curse word are actually committing a mortal sin. That is the worst example.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Glenda

I was watching the preview for the new movie Annie with my kids and there is a portion of the preview where Jamie Fox is inside his car and Cameron Diaz is outside the car. They are talking back and forth to each other and Jamie says “God has a plan for us all.” “Your plan is to back far away from my car.” Are statements like this considered taking God’s name in vein?

Thanks!

No, that is not taking God’s name in Vain. Taking God’s name involves using his name as a cuss word. But it also involves blasphemy, perjury (lying under oath in court, but also in the confessional for refusing to confess a mortal sin), slandering a sacred object or human being, swearing false oaths, etc.

No. Your example isn’t that same thing. Taking God’s name in vain means to us His Name for a cuss. It can also mean being Christian in name only. If you are Christian, you follow Jesus Christ and do all that you can to image Him in your life. But if you are lukewarm, you’re bearing the name Christian in vain. Swearing to God all the time to let some one know you really mean something is also a way of taking His Name in vain. Think Valley Girl who is constantly saying, “I swear to God…” Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the casual way some talk about God can indicate they have no fear of displeasing Him or think that because He loves them, they can talk about Him in less than respectful ways like they hang out with Him all the time and He’s their best friend and they have a few beers together every Saturday or something. Some do so when they make Him out to be a little too human as if He is just like every other slob on the bus, etc. This is disrespectful too. Any action that disrespects either the Holy Name of Jesus or His person violates the Commandment, but not all violations are mortal sins. Those who use the Name Jesus Christ as a curse word are actually committing a mortal sin. That is the worst example.

While it is important not to take the Lord’s name in vain, I think it is also important to remember that the name of Jesus is the name above all names. Here is a link to a powerful video that explains this awesome truth. It also explains why we shouldn’t abuse the name of Jesus and how we can make reparations for offenses against his holy name.

youtube.com/watch?v=lpv7pcHSSiA

If anything, I can understand “Happy Holidays.” I take it to mean Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, all in one for Americans, as well as including other cultures’ versions of Christmas. But what I never can understand is “Xmas.” The “X” is clearly replacing the word “Christ,” and they’re contradicting themselves. If they don’t believe in Christ, then why bother “abbreviating” it? If there is/ was no Christ, what are they celebrating?

I agree. I had an on going disagreement with a (submarine catholic) friend
who would send me Xmas cards and say that she heard it was ancient Greek for Christ.
I told her that I was not an ancient Greek
and asked her, if you are writing greetings in ancient Greek then
why is the rest of the text in English?

She answered by now, sending me Nativity scene cards each year with Blessings of
Advent and Christmas on them. (winning back the world one soul at a time).
She attended her parishes Midnight Mass last week, her first mass is over 10 years.
I jokingly said 'Oh it must have been the images on the cards that did it",
and was shocked when she said, “Well in a way, is was”
she said looking at all the religious scenes on the cards she was sending out,
got in to her head and the closer Christmas day got the more she felt like returning to church.

I still get a giant smile when I think of her walking into her local Church on Christmas Eve.

Mysterious ways my friend.

:tiphat:

Hello Crown of Stars.

The week before Christmas on one of the Catholic Answers Live Radio shows they did bring up this quirk, the XMass stuff and guess what? It is a Greek abbreviation for Christ and is a legitimate way of saying Christ mass, which is what is actually meant. They talked about it at length, but it really is a Catholic thing, so the next time some smartie pants at work say, “Merry Xmas!” just smile and same “Same to you!” I wish I could remember which day it was on so you could listen to it from the site. Maybe some else who heard the shows that week will and chime in on this thread.

Glenda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.