Taking page from Trump? UK building 'big new wall' to stop illegal immigrants

In what could be a “told you so” moment for Donald Trump, the U.K. on Tuesday announced plans to build a “big new wall” at a border port in France to prevent migrants in nearby camps from sneaking aboard vehicles heading to Britain.

Robert Goodwill, minister of state for immigration, announced the plan for a wall in Calais, France, at a Home Affairs Committee hearing Tuesday, saying it would be in addition to an already existing fence.

“We’re going to start building this big new wall very soon,” Goodwill said. “We’ve done the fence, now we’re doing a wall.”

foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/07/taking-page-from-trump-uk-building-big-new-wall-to-stop-illegal-immigrants.html

Brings back memories of the Berlin Wall, albeit for different reasons.

That’s silly and inflammatory. It’s not keeping British in, it’s keeping terrorists out.

It should remind you of the lock on your own front door.

Britain has a large amount of home grown terrorism and has had that for several centuries. The overriding reason is to prevent illegal immigration, there are quite enough naive young men and women in the UK who could be easily radicalised to provide terrorist groups with an endless recruiting pool already in any case.

My point was that building walls (or fences) to keep your enemies out aren’t exactly a new idea. In fact, I’ve been thinking about building a fence myself for a long time.

I expect the British wall is to keep out illegal economic migrants.

And the Brits are building THEIR wall in FRANCE!!

I think every sovereign nation has the right to control the flow into its borders. Not just the right, but the responsibility, as it has the responsibility for the security of the state.

I don’t personally like Trump, but don’t understand the incredible resistance to building a wall. Unchecked illegal immigration into the US has been a problem for many years and sincerely harms places like Texas, Arizona and California. And now there is credible evidence that our porous border has become a target by terrorists who know they can enter our country that way. I think we have a responsibility to do something about that.

So it would have been a good idea to build a giant wall around the Falls Road in Belfast in the 70s?

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. :wink:

Fenced communities within a jurisdiction are a very different discussion than walls across international boundaries.

Its not that I don’t agree that countries can/should secure their borders. Its that I believe Donald Trump’s plan is impossible, unattainable and sophomoric.

He wants to build a massive concrete wall across the southern border of the US. This wall will have to span across miles of moving sand dunes in Southern California, numerous flood plains in which erecting a concrete wall can potentially cause widespread flooding, multiple lakes and rivers that flow between the US and Mexico. Span this wall across mountain ranges. He also needs to obtain Indian tribal lands, in addition to eminent domain thousands and thousands of private homes and farmlands across California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. He also needs to get through all of court cases that that is going to cause. He needs to obtain the land of National parks. In addition to that hes going to have to renogiate the US Mexico border treaty. He needs to have all of that land surveyed. In addition to getting billions and billions of dollars of funding approval from both congess and the senate. In addition to that he needs to ship what is equivalent to 3 times as much concrete as is in the hoover dam to some of the most rural places in the southern US. In addition to all of that one of the more obscure approvals that he has to obtain is the approval for this wall from US fish and wildlife agency because his wall can almost certainly cause the extinction of 111 endangered species.

In summary, I think Trumps border wall is folklore, a fable kind of like Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

Even if the wall was built, there are lots of underground tunnels which already ferry both illegals and drugs into the US. The wall will be useless.

Well, as I said, I’m no Trump fan and I’m sure Trump’s idea needs refining. That said, we do need to secure our border. Other nations have managed to do so with a wall. Israel has done it. China did it (making Trump’s proposal look totally doable, by the way, considering how long the Great Wall is). Certainly we would need to make provisions for potential tunnels. The Mexicans already have tunnels, as do the Palestinians. The Israelis do a good job on tunnel detection and destruction, so perhaps their methods can be adapted here. It seems the alternative is to leave the border unsecured and continue to have the drugs and crime flow across the borders along with a lot of people who utilize our system without paying taxes into it. And at some point, a terrorist will cross our porous border and do something heinous. We’d be better off securing things now than doing it in a reactive fashion after that.

My Gosh, that’s going to put a lot of people to work!

There has only been one other time in history in which a wall of this size and magnitude has been accomplished…and that is the great wall of China. No other nation has tried to again replicate that endeavor, of a continuous solid wall in that size and that magnitude, it is not an easy task. Even the Israeli border, which is an impressive 400 mile long border, is 90% fence

Well perhaps if a fence is effective then Trump’s plan should be modified to be a fence. I think we can learn a lot from the Israelis when it comes to security.

The UK has become more conservative since they left the EU.

Legislation in place:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006

Use seismic and 3-D ground penetrating radar … off the shelf … ready to go.

When you detect a tunnel, use your American Express card and your cell phone to order up a bunch of ready-mix concrete trucks … and fill it up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.